• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Ken Holland: Open to trade to replace Rafalski

Rate this topic

You are right, but it's fun to dream sometimes. When I mentioned Kovalchuk, I made sure I mentioned the fact that Holland wouldn't get him because of his lifetime contract, but if he had a year or two contract at his cap hit of $6.6M, it wouldn't be out of the question that Holland may try for him. Holland likes those type of players, especially with the scoring upside...and Kovalchuk would be even better playing with Datsyuk. I for one, hope for another left field shot this season! At least we DO know he has the money to spend on a left-fielder!

If he was a free agent, maybe, but he wouldn't relinquish any assets for him, especially the assets it'd require for a player of his calibre. They'd at least ask for an NHL ready prospect (Tatar/Smith) plus a player just hitting their prime (Filppula/Hudler) and probably an unsigned prospect (Marshall/Aubry) and a couple picks (2nd/3rd) just to land him. That wouldn't be worth it, but a team like Edmonton or St. Louis who have a plethora of picks and prospects would be able to do it.

WAIT, I GOT IT!

a 6 team deal, which somehow lands Boyle in DET, Kovalchuk in LA, Doughty in FLA, Booth in SJ, Yandle in NJ and a bag of pucks, a bag of Sour Patch Kids and the rights to the use of Red Bird II next summer when they relocate, in PHX

huh, huh?!? :yowza: :yowza: :yowza:

Edited by stevkrause

If he was a free agent, maybe, but he wouldn't relinquish any assets for him, especially the assets it'd require for a player of his calibre. They'd at least ask for an NHL ready prospect (Tatar/Smith) plus a player just hitting their prime (Filppula/Hudler) and probably an unsigned prospect (Marshall/Aubry) and a couple picks (2nd/3rd) just to land him. That wouldn't be worth it, but a team like Edmonton or St. Louis who have a plethora of picks and prospects would be able to do it.

Yeah, but about Weber or Doughty or Richards? :ninja:

Honestly, I am very interested to see if he makes a trade for a defender. I don't know of any out there (of Rafi's caliber) that teams would be willing to give up to us. Not unless there is a sign and trade deal that may help us out...

(funny side note: on capgeek.com the most popular searched player is Brian Rafalski)

Yeah, but about Weber or Doughty or Richards? :ninja:

Honestly, I am very interested to see if he makes a trade for a defender. I don't know of any out there (of Rafi's caliber) that teams would be willing to give up to us. Not unless there is a sign and trade deal that may help us out...

(funny side note: on capgeek.com the most popular searched player is Brian Rafalski)

Maybe a trade and sign would work better? I know it's a massive gamble to trade for a pending UFA, but give us the rights to sign them for the three weeks prior to the start of free agency. That way the team gets something back for their player and we have to only give up minimal assets. It's probably not realistic at all, but it's a way to try.

Guest Crymson

You are right, but it's fun to dream sometimes. When I mentioned Kovalchuk, I made sure I mentioned the fact that Holland wouldn't get him because of his lifetime contract, but if he had a year or two contract at his cap hit of $6.6M, it wouldn't be out of the question that Holland may try for him. Holland likes those type of players, especially with the scoring upside...and Kovalchuk would be even better playing with Datsyuk. I for one, hope for another left field shot this season! At least we DO know he has the money to spend on a left-fielder!

Are you kidding? Holland deplores players of Kovalchuk's type, superstars with horrible attitudes who are unwilling to play defense.

Are you kidding? Holland deplores players of Kovalchuk's type, superstars with horrible attitudes who are unwilling to play defense.

Let me preface this by saying I do NOT want Kovy's contract, nor do I think there's a snowballs chance in Africa of it happening, just playing devil's advocate here... but his defense got MARKEDLY improved the second half of this past season... he just needs a coach to hold him accountable...

Marian Hossa was a UFA and we had cap space for him. The fellows being discussed this season are all being talked about in the context of trades and offer sheets. Big difference.

Also, I find it ironic that you routinely trash Holland during the regular season and call him incompetent, and are now singing his praises in your attempt to make any of the aforementioned options sound possible.

I do routinely trash him, but I am not necessarily signing his praises, but I am thinking that this is one of the rare off-seasons he has tons of money to spend and, like you mentioned, the last time he had some money he scored Hossa, so I am hoping that is the key to his success, having money to spend. I will always disagree with the Williams over Malhotra signing, right hander or not, and I will complain about it all the time. How many of us still hate the Oates/MacLean for Federko/McKegney trade and how long ago was that? But I do think he can work some magic and surprise us again, especially with the cash he has, but I am far from convinced that he is the best GM out there because he got Datsyuk and Zetterberg late in the draft. Every GM out there has found at least one diamond in the later rounds of the draft, and to be fair, have made stupid first or second round picks as Holland has done as well (Yuri Butsayev, Tomek Valtonen, Jiri Hudler :lol:)

Anyhow, we had cash and landed Hossa, we have mega cash now so nothing is out of the question, albeit unlikely...

I don't know how realistic this is but here is my top picks for Defensemen on the market in July or by draft: Doughty, Schenn, Alzner, and Bogosian. All good young d-men now I'm sure that most of the teams are going to want to hang on to most if not all of these players but they are my tip 4 picks on D I'd like to have in Detroit.

Guest Crymson

I do routinely trash him, but I am not necessarily signing his praises, but I am thinking that this is one of the rare off-seasons he has tons of money to spend and, like you mentioned, the last time he had some money he scored Hossa, so I am hoping that is the key to his success, having money to spend. I will always disagree with the Williams over Malhotra signing, right hander or not, and I will complain about it all the time. How many of us still hate the Oates/MacLean for Federko/McKegney trade and how long ago was that? But I do think he can work some magic and surprise us again, especially with the cash he has, but I am far from convinced that he is the best GM out there because he got Datsyuk and Zetterberg late in the draft. Every GM out there has found at least one diamond in the later rounds of the draft, and to be fair, have made stupid first or second round picks as Holland has done as well (Yuri Butsayev, Tomek Valtonen, Jiri Hudler :lol:)

Anyhow, we had cash and landed Hossa, we have mega cash now so nothing is out of the question, albeit unlikely...

Holland rarely trades, and he never poaches RFAs.

Fil seams to have reached his plateau. He was expected to get better every year for the past 3 years and it doesn't look like he will improve over what he is now. He's very good but he has peaked. Abby on the other hand has just completed his first full season and was much better than even last year. He has a big upside. There is no comparison between the 2.

I can't believe this is still being discussed. Holland said that he won't tend an offer and Nashville has said that if anybody did that they would match it. What more needs to be said?

I wasn't comparing the two just responding to the bold part.

Holland rarely trades, and he never poaches RFAs.

That is fine because I would be perfectly happy with him re-signing Eaves/Miller/Lidstrom and then signing Wisniewski, Pitkanen and a reliable back up goalie. Do NOT re-sign Draper/Ericsson/Salei, trade Hudler for whatever he can bring... To me that would be a super off season...

We all know any of the RFA's mentioned are pipe dreams because Holland loves to keep his draft picks now-a-days. I wouldn't be surprised though if he traded Hudler and our #1 to move up a bit if the player he wanted wasn't gonna make it to us...

That is fine because I would be perfectly happy with him re-signing Eaves/Miller/Lidstrom and then signing Wisniewski, Pitkanen and a reliable back up goalie. Do NOT re-sign Draper/Ericsson/Salei, trade Hudler for whatever he can bring... To me that would be a super off season...

We all know any of the RFA's mentioned are pipe dreams because Holland loves to keep his draft picks now-a-days. I wouldn't be surprised though if he traded Hudler and our #1 to move up a bit if the player he wanted wasn't gonna make it to us...

Which teams would think Hudler would be worth trading down in the draft, though?

Which teams would think Hudler would be worth trading down in the draft, though?

Rangers need some offensive help and if you pair him with Gabby, they'd put up a hell whole lot of points. We'd be trading up 10 spots. Give them Hudler/Emmerton and our first and 4th. Plus Rangers have 18mil+ in cap space.

Rangers need some offensive help and if you pair him with Gabby, they'd put up a hell whole lot of points. We'd be trading up 10 spots. Give them Hudler/Emmerton and our first and 4th. Plus Rangers have 18mil+ in cap space.

So Hudler/Emmerton our 1st for rangers 1st... Do you think that would be enough to move up 10 spots? I could honestly, now that I think about it, see Holland trading Hudler and our 1st to move down to maybe a top 10 2nd round pick...especially if lets say the Thrashers or Panthers really want a certain guy that is available in Detroit's #1 spot...

Guest Hatethedrake!

So Hudler/Emmerton our 1st for rangers 1st... Do you think that would be enough to move up 10 spots? I could honestly, now that I think about it, see Holland trading Hudler and our 1st to move down to maybe a top 10 2nd round pick...especially if lets say the Thrashers or Panthers really want a certain guy that is available in Detroit's #1 spot...

I could see the Rangers trading Gaborik to the Kings at the draft. The Kings have been trying like crazy to bring in a star player (is Gaborik still a star?) and Gabs doesn't strike me as a Tortorella type guy. Plus Slats will likely want to take a run at signing Brad Richards on July 1st so I can see him wanting to dump Gaborik's fat contract to clear Cap space. I also do not see a need for the Rangers to want Hudler. The Rangers have a solid nucleus of young forwards they have been building the last 2 years and they will only improve especially if they can get Richards as their #1 centre. Then Dubinsky can slide down and be the #2 guy which is where he should be anyway.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

With Frolov going to the KHL and Prospal likely to go elsewhere, it seems somewhat realistic. They've got a few guys to re-sign (Dubinsky and Callahan) but they'll still have room after they lock those two up.

Guest Heaten

Sounds like Holland isn't going to chase big name players...

Finding space under the cap will not be an issue, but Holland said that's not the only solution -- especially considering that he and other GMs feel the upcoming free-agent class isn't quite as strong as recent classes. Fans will inevitably want the Red Wings to chase every big name free agent that's available, but Holland said free agency is only one aspect of improving this team.

"We're not going to just throw a bunch of money at people on July 1 and wake up (Dec. 1) and now spend four months trying to figure out how we can get rid of those people," Holland said. "That doesn't sound like a great plan to me. We're going to methodically go through it. Otherwise, we're inevitably going towards a major rebuild."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=563797&navid=mod-rr-headlines

How in the world did I get neg'd so much for trying to move up 10 spots top a top 15 pick with a realistic offer lol?

With Frolov going to the KHL and Prospal likely to go elsewhere, it seems somewhat realistic. They've got a few guys to re-sign (Dubinsky and Callahan) but they'll still have room after they lock those two up.

Exactly.

How in the world did I get neg'd so much for trying to move up 10 spots top a top 15 pick with a realistic offer lol?

Exactly.

Because people thing they positive and negative are used if they agree or not. If they agree you get a plus if they don't agree you get a negative. Even though it's real purpose is to give positives for well thought out posts and te negative go to the pointless trolling, cussing, etc...

Guest Heaten

No, it just sounds like wants to be smart with his money and doesn't want to sign someone to a long-term deal just because he's got some money.

I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed LGWs members come August/September.