• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
diehardredwing19

interesting possibility

Rate this topic

hey guys first of all id like to say plz shoot me dead cuz i live in vancouver and cant stand these bandwagon freaks.. now to my topic discussion... how many pple here think its a possibility that Rafalski pulls a scott neidermyer in dec and un-retires and comes back to play for a mil or under a mil ??? this is Detroit you just never know what there tryna pull this way gives raffy almost 8 months off! alot of time to heal that knee and back.. and come play for cheap and allows Detroit to pursue a good Dman right now.. just a thought? if he cud sacrifice 6 mil and put Detroit ahead of himself i could tottaly see him playin the last half of the season for a mil or under and then retiring... thoughts..??

Guest Crymson

not according to tsn

Eh? Did they read his diary or something?

Edited by Crymson

First, he isn't coming back. :no:

Second, Rafalski's contract would still be valid, and have to be prorated, as he has one year remaining on it. Niedermayer's contract had expired.

The scenario you suggest, would work for Lidstrom, though. Seeing as his contract expires at 12 am on July 1st. But I don't want to go there, as that would seriously limit Nick's ability to get an eighth Norris Trophy. :thumbup:

Guest Crymson

First, he isn't coming back. :no:

Second, Rafalski's contract would still be valid, and have to be prorated, as he has one year remaining on it. Niedermayer's contract had expired.

The scenario you suggest, would work for Lidstrom, though. Seeing as his contract expires at 12 am on July 1st. But I don't want to go there, as that would seriously limit Nick's ability to get an eighth Norris Trophy. :thumbup:

Niedermayer was still under contract. When he returned, the Ducks moved McDonald in order to make cap space for him.

Niedermayer was still under contract. When he returned, the Ducks moved McDonald in order to make cap space for him.

You are correct. I had completely forgotten about how bad Burke had f*cked The Ducks in his effort to sign people to fill the holes left by Selanne and Niedermayer's indecision. I do remember that The Ducks were paying Bert more not to play, than we were playing him to play in the 09-10 season, as one of those mistakes.

I bow at your feet and ask for mercy. :notworthy:

how many pple here think its a possibility that Rafalski pulls a scott neidermyer in dec and un-retires and comes back to play for a mil or under a mil ???

He sounded like someone who was completely comfortable with his decision and even stated he made the choice months back. It wasn't really as "tough" as some are making it here. It was a done deal back in March, the man's knees and back were torched. It's unfortunate but he is not coming back.

Guest Crymson

You are correct. I had completely forgotten about how bad Burke had f*cked The Ducks in his effort to sign people to fill the holes left by Selanne and Niedermayer's indecision. I do remember that The Ducks were paying Bert more not to play, than we were playing him to play in the 09-10 season, as one of those mistakes.

I bow at your feet and ask for mercy. :notworthy:

Bertuzzi was only on buyout during the '08-'09 season :)

Bertuzzi was only on buyout during the '08-'09 season :)

That's not what it says here.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=443

But it also shows that my $ figures were wrong, also. I was thinking he was getting $1.66 mil over 2 years from being bought out. The actual figure was $1.33 mil over 2 years. Less than the $1.5 mil that we were paying him.

Guest Crymson

That's not what it says here.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=443

But it also shows that my $ figures were wrong, also. I was thinking he was getting $1.66 mil over 2 years from being bought out. The actual figure was $1.33 mil over 2 years. Less than the $1.5 mil that we were paying him.

His original contract was only two years, and only 1/3 of the amount from a buyout goes on a team's cap hit each year. It should have run out after '08-'09.

His original contract was only two years, and only 1/3 of the amount from a buyout goes on a team's cap hit each year. It should have run out after '08-'09.

He signed a 2 year $8 million contract with Anaheim for the 07-08 year. He was bought out after that year. So, he had one year at $4 mil remaining. Buyouts are at 2/3rds the remaining contract $ at double the term. In his case, $4 mil × .667 (2/3) = $2.66 million. 1 year ( remaining term ) × 2 = 2 years. $2.66 mil ÷ 2 years = $1.33 mil. So, $1.33 in 08-09 ( when he played for Calgary ) and $1.33 in 09-10 ( when he brought his talents to Detroit ). Did I make enough sense out of that? Use Capgeeks buyout calculator and it will explain everything nice and easy.

The funniest part of it all, is Burke signing him at $4 million a year.

If you announce your retirement, you can't play in the NHL for a year. Neidermayer didn't make an announcement, he just didn't sign a contract with anyone. There's no way Rafalski reverses his decision.

Where did you get this information? I'm not disputing it, just curious. I thought there was a one-year issue with a player being bought out being able to sign with the team that bought him out, but not sure about retirement.

I don't remember seeing anything in the CBA on that.

However, I think you may be right, but slightly off with Niedermayer. It's not simply that he didn't sign with anyone, he was under contract. What happened was that he didn't report to training camp and he was "suspended" by the team. This took his salary off the cap until he returned later in the year. Perhaps if he actually "retired" he wouldn't have been able to come back. Maybe we discussed this at time in regards to him being "suspended" and why didn't he simply retire, etc.