• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Kris Draper

Rate this topic

Kris Draper  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kris Draper is eager to return to Detroit for one more season. What to do? Is it worth risking Cory Emmerton to keep Draper for one more year?

For the record, I think no. It reminds me of when Chelios re-signed for the last time and there was no roster space for Kyle Quincey, who has gone on to be an integral part of the Avs defence. I would hate to lose a guy like Emmerton who hasn't had much chance to prove what he can do in the NHL. As much as having Draper's experience and faceoff ability would be a plus, I don't think it's worth losing one of our prospects.

I'm also undecided about him joining the Grand Rapids Griffins. They've nearly maxed out their veteran quota and if all their veterans re-sign then there will be no room for him there either. :unsure:

Probably what makes us great/irritating but I think bring him back for 1 more year and subsequently less than what he was making last year (1.578!! dry.gif). Not sure what cheap contract he can be bought at but he was actually pretty good this year and in the playoffs and is a great mentor. 13th/14th forward isn't that crazy of an idea to me. I also wouldn't be totally hurt to see him walk either.

I didn't vote on this because it's not that simple. It all depends on what UFA's are available and how the kids look in camp. Holland will want to sign Draper to a 2-way deal and Draper will have to fight for a roster spot in camp. I personally wouldn't hate having Draper as the 14th forward because I think he still brings a ton to the table even if his on ice play diminishes next season from where it was this season. The 2-way contract will ensure that he can be at camp fighting for a job but that if he ultimately retires the Wings aren't stuck with a cap hit. Draper won't be put in GR; he'll fight for the 14th forward spot on 2-way deal most likely 500k/105k.

Sign him as a face-off man at the very least. We need someone who can take those damn things.

I say he still has some value to the team at this point. One more year isn't going to make or break the season for us and I don't think he's taking a spot away from anyone else who's really ready right now.

He's valuable in the playoffs. use him as a 12/th/13th forward.

Ya, so valuable that he helped the Wings to two consecutive second round exits?

Seriously, you guys will all be bitching by December that Draper needs to go.

Keep him on as a trainer or something, but he needs to be off the ice and replaced with a younger body imo.

Keep him on as a trainer or something, but he needs to be off the ice and replaced with a younger body imo.

You're right. It's all Draper's fault :rolleyes:.

What's wrong if he signs for 1mil and is used every third game?

The guy has earned the right to retire on his own terms and he proved to be one of the best players on our team last year in the playoffs, getting tough faceoffs and winning battles.

If Hudler is traded, we might not have to worry about losing any players so let the guy have a contract.

If Hudler is traded, we might not have to worry about losing any players so let the guy have a contract.

That's a good point. Get rid of the useless Hudler (for a Dman or picks or whatever it doesn't matter) and then there should be room for Draper, Mursak and Emmerton if I'm correct?

Edit: Assuming Eaves and Miller re-sign of course, which I hope they do.

Edited by uk_redwing

It's not surprising Draper wants to come back. He's a competitor.

That being said, even for a cheaper contract, I'd rather the Wings try to fill his spot with someone who has equal speed and grinding, but also is more likely to stay healthy and has the potential to be part of the team's future.

Honestly though I have a feeling Holland will sign him to a one-year deal

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Gimme a break. He was one of our more solid contributors in the playoffs. I think a 2 way deal is fair, but at the same time, he has proved he still has plenty left in the tank, so maybe as an extra forward, depending on what we do with Hudler, Miller and Eaves.

If he's got the drive to go another year I have no problems taking him on as the 13/14th forward. Our forward situation is currently as follows:

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Franzen

Filppula

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Holmstrom

Helm

Abdelkader

Hudler

Eaves hopefully back, so that's 11, Emmerton and Mursak up, that's 12 and 13.

If we go with 7 d-men that's room for a 14th forward, might as well take an experienced guy and good leader like Draper. If we trade Hudler and don't take back a forward he's our 13th guy and we have 8 d-man. Or we trade Hudler, add a scorer, he's #13/14 with Emmerton based on how Emmerton plays. Or we trade Hudler, add a banger/fighter/whatever, and put him or Drapes in depending on the situation.

As long as he's cheap and isn't intended to be part of the main, healthy group, I'm fine with him being here. Not really going to be any other better options for a 13/14.

Also, if the team is in one of those stints where injuries have forced a couple of the backup guys onto the squad, then a guy like Draper is sometimes more desirable than a slightly more skilled/young player in the same spot. Experienced, knows the drill, can help keep cohesiveness on the bench and in the room.

Edited by Datsyerberger

I like Draper, but he's like the relative that doesn't know when to leave the party.

I'd rather have a younger, bigger forward taking up 4th line minutes. We need to get younger as a team.

And that was not easy for me to type.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Name ONE THING that Draper has done in the playoffs the past two seasons that makes him "valuable". Besides his faceoff percentage, which is above average at best, and his speed... which has been declining steadily.

He was very valuable in these playoffs , i felt that when we changed him for miller in game 3 are 4th line had so much more jump. Like you said he's good at faceoffs, i really disagree that his speed is declining the guy can still fly, muck it up in the corners, plays hard every shift, can Pk (even though he doesn't much). And he plays great with both helm and eaves. i absolutely love that line. He deserves to be here, and on the plus side he will be cheap. TBH i would rather have him then miller as i believe he brings more energy to the table.

That's a good point. Get rid of the useless Hudler (for a Dman or picks or whatever it doesn't matter) and then there should be room for Draper, Mursak and Emmerton if I'm correct?

Edit: Assuming Eaves and Miller re-sign of course, which I hope they do.

I'm just salivating in anticipation of all the goals our bottom 2 lines will score if that is the case! :)

I voted sign him, especially if Holland is going to testing the trade waters for a replacement D-Man or Higher end forward. Him and Miller (re-sign him too) can rotate in and out with Mursak. Do we know if Emmerton has any options to GRR left? IF not, maybe they showcase him and Mursak in training camp/pre-season to see who wins the 13th spot and they trade the other away. Not unless Holland knows who he wants up (more than likely Mursak) and bundles Hudler/Emmerton and whatever at the draft for said player... How would Jersey like Hudler/Emmerton/Kindl and our 1st round pick for Kovalchuk and his crippling cap hit? We could afford to pick it up... Of course then that would be yet another D-Man that would have to be replaced...

Edited by LeftWinger

I voted sign him, especially if Holland is going to testing the trade waters for a replacement D-Man or Higher end forward. Him and Miller (re-sign him too) can rotate in and out with Mursak. Do we know if Emmerton has any options to GRR left? IF not, maybe they showcase him and Mursak in training camp/pre-season to see who wins the 13th spot and they trade the other away. Not unless Holland knows who he wants up (more than likely Mursak) and bundles Hudler/Emmerton and whatever at the draft for said player... How would Jersey like Hudler/Emmerton/Kindl and our 1st round pick for Kovalchuk and his crippling cap hit? We could afford to pick it up... Of course then that would be yet another D-Man that would have to be replaced...

Jersey isn't going to move Kovalchuk, I think they're quite happy moving forward with him (or at least aren't ready to extract their foot from their mouth).

Also, that's an awful deal for Kovalchuk. The Devils aren't going to move him (especially for spare parts and a pick) just because they had a wretched first half of a season with a terrible coach.

Guest Crymson

Chris Draper hasn't been quite as good since he stopped playing on that line with Kurt Maltby and Darren McCarthy.

Guest stinky fish taco

No.

No, man.

s***, no, man.

also, LOL @ the draper fanclub with the negative voting spree. all the negs in the world won't change the fact that draper's career is OVER.

Edited by stinky fish taco