• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

What can be done to go East?

Rate this topic

I know that the best way to move mountains is to get a ton of people to move small stones.

In our modern age whenever something needs to get done, it is the masses mobilizing that gets work done.

Now we have a year to make sure we are the team to go east, not Nashville or Columbus. What can we use to get that to happen?

Well the Wings can use their leverage, but that might not be enough to get this done.

The other major tool at our advantage is our fanbase is far larger. We need to use it to make sure the league knows what we can do.

I suggest we use the internet and our brains to figure out a grassroots movement to ensure that we are the team to move east.

The best idea I can come up with is to make ourselves visible in front of the Arena every home game, and every away game with signs visibly demanding a move to the east, as well as events in front of NHL league offices in Toronto and New York.

This means those among us with the means to travel, or living in those markets need to get visible and loud.

I also suggest we start an internet movement pledging to boycott away games in the West if we don't get moved, and pledging to travel to eastern teams if we do. The best goal is to make it seem like the league will lose money if we don't get moved.

Anyone have any other ideas? Does anyone have the abilities to take leadership on this? Does anyone want to see us MOVE EAST!!!!

I have started a tweet thread. #MoveDetroitEast This is the start, Atlanta leaves to go West, Detroit is the only team that deserves to go East. Join us fans!

All you twitter addicts, start tweeting using #MoveDetroitEast and let the league know!

Can anyone get a website going called www.MoveDetroitEast.org or com or whatever?

Edit update: I have established a Facebook page and a twitter movement already!

Join me and like "Move Detroit East" On Facebook!

Tweet about #MoveDetroitEast as much as possible and spread the word we deserve to go east!

Keep up the ideas and effort, remember if social media and protests in the streets can topple dictators, it can topple Bettman!!!

Edited by Majsheppard

How about a boycott of Wings away games in Western Conference cities? Ultimately, the league & the other teams out west want the Wings due to their drawing power on the road. Nothing short of that will precipitate a move I'm afraid.

Granted if I had made it through your entire post, I would have noticed you mentioned that already. :blush:

Either way, I still think there's a 0% chance it happens regardless of any fan effort to influence things.

Edited by ogreslayer

How about a boycott of Wings away games in Western Conference cities? Ultimately, the league & the other teams out west want the Wings due to their drawing power on the road. Nothing short of that will precipitate a move I'm afraid.

I agree, so let us start a website and petition. Tweet about it, facebook about it, go out with signs and show the league about it and let us actually stop buying tickets to Western Conference away games to make it known that we are going East!!!

Honestly we can just sit back and let them screw us over, or we can make them do what we want. We are the fans, we pay their bills, so we should have our say. The truest form of Democracy is the boycott!

I live in Toronto, so I'd love to see the Wings back in the East, but other than specific reasons like that, why would the fans care if the team is in the East or the West? I know why Management would want the team in the East (specific business reasons), but what about the fans? Is it because you want to see more games against Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York?

I think part of the problem is going to be the level of interest in the West for games against the Wings. I think there is a good chance that moving the Wings to the East would hurt the league financially.

I live in Toronto, so I'd love to see the Wings back in the East, but other than specific reasons like that, why would the fans care if the team is in the East or the West? I know why Management would want the team in the East (specific business reasons), but what about the fans? Is it because you want to see more games against Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York?

I think part of the problem is going to be the level of interest in the West for games against the Wings. I think there is a good chance that moving the Wings to the East would hurt the league financially.

I know for me, and I would think it's the same for the vast majority of Wings fans out east, one of the bigger reasons for wanting a move comes down to start times of away games, especially during the playoffs. Hate hate HATE those 10:00 EST start times.

I want them East for better times, we become more attractive to Free Agents, we become cheaper to run as a team, we return to our history of playing rivals like Toronto, and we return to being able to stay up and watch games without having to go to bed at 1 am EASTERN STANDARD TIME!!!

I hope since you are from Toronto you might consider going out with a sign in front of the NHL offices at some point, or even organize such events. You could have a huge impact on us becoming a better team overall.

I also say that moving east helps the eastern teams financially, so it should be a net gain!

Edited by Majsheppard

No offense, but I don't want to boycott away games... I want to watch them and see them! I live in Chicago and the only chance I get to see the Wings is when they come through here (so I guess I am one of those fans that is holding back the move... sorry!) I still want them in the East though.

I like the suggestion of hitting Facebook and Twitter. I don't really do much social networking or whatever, but it seems in this day and age people are impressed by how many "followers" or "friends" one has, and if you get enough Red Wings fans, people might take notice.

One other thought I had was about how other Western Conference teams' fans feel about the move. A lot of teams fans hate playing the Wings, so maybe other West Coast fans will want us as far away as possible. I know the management of those teams wants us to stay, but if we can get the support of other fans it wouldn't hurt our cause.

But like others have said, at the end of the day I think the NHL will do what the NHL wants to do, and will do what they deem is best for them, not what's best for the Wings. Just the way it goes.

Edited by hooon

Yeah I would say a grassroots effort with a social media presence (Facebook as well as Twitter), a webpage, maybe T-Shirts, a clever logo that you can also slap all over the web in forums, etc...and print out and slap up in public, hold up at games in the coming season...just some ideas. Yeah this needs to happen with Detroit fans if this is what they want. Get moving folks.

I have established a Facebook page and a twitter movement already!

Join me and like "Wings Must Move East" On Facebook!

Tweet about #MoveDetroitEast as much as possible and spread the word we deserve to go east!

Keep up the ideas and effort, remember if social media and protests in the streets can topple dictators, it can topple Bettman!!!

Also does anyone want to help Admin the Facebook page.

Looking for someone passionate who knows how to make people take notice!

I can only do so much, and need the help of thousands of great Wings fans, but a couple of affluent ones right now would help even more!

Thats awesome but shouldn't you keep the name consistent? If its a movement, you want a common name. Just saying here at the beginning before you get going, bro. :thumbup:

I'd ask Matt if he wants to get on-board with this in some way.

Thats awesome but shouldn't you keep the name consistent? If its a movement, you want a common name. Just saying here at the beginning before you get going, bro. :thumbup:

I'd ask Matt if he wants to get on-board with this in some way.

What would you suggest? I am definitely not the expert on this. I simply picked something short for Twitter due to limitations.

Anyone who wants to get on board should contact me and just keep spreading the word!

Let's get the number of people on board into the thousands quickly!

"Move Detroit East" or "MoveDetroitEast" sounds good?

I have zero photoshop skills and I'm in the West so I selfishly want them here in a way, but overall believe Detroit belongs in the East.

Also does anyone want to help Admin the Facebook page.

Looking for someone passionate who knows how to make people take notice!

I can only do so much, and need the help of thousands of great Wings fans, but a couple of affluent ones right now would help even more!

I'm on board, but you can't send invites for your fb page, any way to change that and i'll invite as many people as possible.

Edit: i'd love to help admin the fb page

Edited by Mitchmac33

I'm on board, but you can't send invites for your fb page, any way to change that and i'll invite as many people as possible.

Edit: i'd love to help admin the fb page

I don't know how to change that... I know you can paste the link on your wall or on your friends wall.

I noticed only two people tweeted and only 10 people have joined the Facebook site.

If you want to actually try and influence what happens you should speak up. If you want to just complain when it doesn't you should just stay here and make excuses and posts.

I think the only way the Wings move East is if fans stop going to games in general, the team stops being profitable, and they need the big Eastern cities to help make them money.

I'm all for taking a stand and voicing your opinion, but I think we need to face facts, the Wings make to much money for the West. The NHL would be stupid to move the Wings East. It makes so much sense (distance, financial, and to keep things simple), for the NHL to move Nashville East, put them in the Southeastern Division, and have Winnipeg in the Northwest, moving Minnesota to the Central.

East: Moving Nashville East is almost like just moving Atlanta up the road a bit, with very little change to the Western divisions.

Edited by Barrie

Storm the Bettman residence with pitchforks and torches...

I say he still would be more afraid from losing some ticket revenue than bodily harm. The look about him says it all. PLEASE DON'T HURT MY POCKETBOOK!!! <_<

Keep joining up and we are still looking for people to put forward some effort to keep this continuing. We have to make the league know the Fans demand this!

The Facebook group is Move Detroit East.

I think what the NHL is going to do is move Nashville east, then slide Minnesota into the Norris. It is just the easiest way for them to do it. Detroit is too much of a cash cow, and the NHL needs that in the Campbell when you have teams there like Phoenix, Anaheim, Edmonton and Dallas that really don't make as much as say New York, Boston, and Montreal.

Just my opinion on it.

Edited by Gordie Howe hat trick

I think what the NHL is going to do is move Nashville east, then slide Minnesota into the Norris. It is just the easiest way for them to do it. Detroit is too much of a cash cow, and the NHL needs that in the Campbell when you have teams there like Phoenix, Anaheim, Edmonton and Dallas that really don't make as much as say New York, Boston, and Montreal.

Just my opinion on it.

Careful what you say, someone will give you a -1 like they did to me for the same reply. :hehe: