• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

I'll be extremely disappointing if Wings move to the eastern conference. They needs to stay in the West where they belong.

#62 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

I'll be extremely disappointing if Wings move to the eastern conference. They needs to stay in the West where they belong.

I'm curious as to why you'd be upset if the Red Wings were to move to the eastern conference?

Do you attend games out west when the Wings are in town?

As much as I want the Red Wings to move I'm thinking it won't happen since too many Western Conference rivals rely heavily upon Detroit to help fill out the arena.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#63 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

I know that most fans want the wings to move east but it would break my heart. I have a hard enough time catching regular season games as it is :(

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#64 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

Explain why you think the wings "BELONG" in the west going against what even the wings organization has said as to why they need to move east.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#65 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

I know that most fans want the wings to move east but it would break my heart. I have a hard enough time catching regular season games as it is :(

not their job, they could do away with conferences all together, and just make it 1-16 make the playoffs.

#66 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

I like being in the West. I live in an Eastern market, the Toronto area, so I can see a lot of Eastern teams on TV. I like being only 3 hours away from Detroit and can see the Western Conference teams when I go to The Joe, or when I follow the Wings along online. I get a chance to follow both Conferences.

Also I think there's no chance we're moving East, as already stated many times here, we make the West to much money.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#67 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

I liked the idea Bettman was kicking around moving Winnipeg west (obvious) with Detroit AND Columbus both moving East. That would make it exactly the same as MLB. That would put 16 in the East and 14 in the West. Works fine in the MLB, it would work wonderful in the NHL. Say what you will about the West rivals "needing" Detroit in the West, in the end, it's all about money and TV ratings, and people will tune in to watch Detroit/Montreal/Toronto/Rangers/Pittsburgh/Bruins all play each other more than Detroit playing Phoenix. Besides, Chicago is the new big name in the West , so they can take on that roll of selling out the seats in the West. Vancouver is great, San Jose, Anaheim are always a good draw. There are plenty of teams in the West that are good to great, they don't 'Need" Detroit. I want to see that Detroit/Chicago Stanley Cup Finals next year, so I am all for moving East!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#68 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm curious as to why you'd be upset if the Red Wings were to move to the eastern conference?

i can't speak for heaten, but for me its where they belong. other than the first few years after the original 6 era, they have been playing against western type teams. its been what, over 35 years since they first moved into the norris division? (and yes i realize it took time for it to actually become a division of midwestern teams) to me, there is just as much tradition playing in the west as there was playing against the 4 teams from the original 6 that are in the east now and we dont see as much.

and lets look at the practicality of it. why would they want to leave the hawks as the only original 6 team in the west? why would they want to move the wings out of the midwest based footprint that they do fit pretty well into? why would they want to take the wings away from the western teams that they have developed rivalries against?

to me, the only real reason to support the move is for convenience. and unfortunately because of geographic issues, half the league will travel a lot more than the other half. sure the time zone issue sucks for players and fans, but its not as if moving to the east would mean all games start at the exact same time anyways, so how much can be gained?

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#69 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

i will be sad if the wings move to eastern conference,it would not be the same western conference without the red wings.

#70 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,711 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

We could relocate the team to the Eastern time zone.......oh wait nevermind.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#71 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

I guess the people that FEEL like the Wings should stay in the West have never traveled back and forth to the West Coast. Jet Lag is a ***** and it makes you exhausted for days.

If we move east, our injuries will go down and our energy will go up. I believe it would improve our record by about five wins in a season.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#72 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I guess the people that FEEL like the Wings should stay in the West have never traveled back and forth to the West Coast. Jet Lag is a ***** and it makes you exhausted for days.

If we move east, our injuries will go down and our energy will go up. I believe it would improve our record by about five wins in a season.

Interesting, here is one of my own thoughts based on about the same stuff you base your opinion on.

If Detroit moves East they will become weaker. We will become complacent and won't work as hard. We will easily lose 5 wins in a season due to playing in a weaker conference which breeds weaker teams.

Detroit has been doing just fine in the West I'm sure we can all agree. Just thinking from memory we have had:

6 Presidents Trophies
20 straight Playoff appearances
8 Western Conference Final Appearances
6 Stanley cup Final Appearances
4 Cups

But that jet lag is killing us.

#73 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Interesting, here is one of my own thoughts based on about the same stuff you base your opinion on.

If Detroit moves East they will become weaker. We will become complacent and won't work as hard. We will easily lose 5 wins in a season due to playing in a weaker conference which breeds weaker teams.

Detroit has been doing just fine in the West I'm sure we can all agree. Just thinking from memory we have had:

6 Presidents Trophies
20 straight Playoff appearances
8 Western Conference Final Appearances
6 Stanley cup Final Appearances
4 Cups

But that jet lag is killing us.

I personally don't buy into that...The Red wings would be a solid team in either conference.

As for the long trips the players eventually get used to it during the reg season - although the playoffs can be rough.

Hard to say as well.

Since we fans have little to no say in this - whatever happens will happen.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#74 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

This, and because our team will be getting younger too.

Posted Image

#75 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Its not the Red Wings job to make sure other Western teams fill out their arenas. Also, if the Wings move East, these Western teams that never make the playoffs (like Columbus, St Louis) will see their odds of getting a playoff spot increase since they won't be getting beat down by the Wings. If they make the playoffs, they get at least 2 more home games. Winning games and getting into the playoffs will increase the fanbase and generate more interest. They could have sell outs for games that don't involve the Wings. Wouldn't these franchises rather have sell outs because their team is popular, not because the visiting team is popular?

Also, if your franchise is dependent on the Wings visiting your city 2-4 times a year, then you're doing something wrong and you probably shouldn't have a franchise in the first place. I think its crap that Wings fans, in which most live in the Eastern time zone, have to stay up insane late to watch half their teams' road games because some Western franchises can't generate local interest in their hockey team. Meanwhile, we could have a lot of great original 6 rivalries get renewed if they moved East.

The Wings are great, but they won't be great forever. Someday they'll have to rebuild and they won't be the draw in other cities that they are now. A conference realignment should have nothing to do with how good a team is at that moment because that could change any year.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. :D

Edited by xtrememachine1, 23 September 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#76 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

I personally don't buy into that...The Red wings would be a solid team in either conference.

As for the long trips the players eventually get used to it during the reg season - although the playoffs can be rough.

Hard to say as well.

Since we fans have little to no say in this - whatever happens will happen.

My point basically was the fans shouldn't make claims regarding travel or just unsubstantiated claims like the one I did above. They are not based in any kind of fact and are mostly ones personal opinion. This decision won't come down to anything like that anyway's.

The move of the Atlanta Thrashers created some geographical problems for the NHL.

Commissioner Gary Bettman, according to one report, has a solution.

Bettman presented a proposal that would make the NHL a two-conference league with a total of four divisions, according to a report by Canadian media outlet QMI Agency.

Winnipeg will play the 2011-12 season as a member of the Southeast Division, which is where the franchise formerly competed as the Thrashers. Geographically, having a Manitoba-based team traveling to Tampa and Raleigh, N.C., on a regular basis isn't feasible.

Citing two league executives, reporter Bruce Garrioch said that Bettman's proposal, which was given at Tuesday's board of governors meeting, would establish four divisions: the Pacific, Midwest, East and South.

Each conference would have 15 teams, so there would be two eight-team divisions and two-seven team decisions under the proposal.

The NHL currently has six divisions -- the Northeast, Atlantic, Southeast, Central, Northwest and Pacific.

Also under the proposal, the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets, who have been vocal about their desires to move into the Eastern Conference, would likely get their wish, according to the report.

Both of those teams play in cities located in the Eastern time zone, so a move would theoretically increase TV ratings and possibly attendance, as well help build geographic rivalries and cut down on travel costs.

Red Wings senior vice president Jim Devellano, speaking to Sporting News' Craig Custance in May, was holding out hope that an Eastern move could happen for the 2012-13 season. “Fingers crossed, toes crossed, saying prayers,” Devellano joked.

Other details of the plan: the top four teams in each division would make the playoffs and each team would play a home-and-home against teams outside their division.

http://aol.sportingn...troit-red-wings

Personally for me, the move to the east will suck. Living on the west coast will make it that much harder to actually watch my team.

#77 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

I was reading this article about the movement and decided to whip up a quick graphic of where they state teams will be placed.

Article - http://www.thefourth...ossi110625.html
Image - http://imageshack.us...ionalchairs.jpg

#78 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

I think East or West has its pros and cons. I also don't think anything we do will affect the decision. It's kind of a contradiction to be such a diehard fan of team that you would boycott going to their games. That wouldn't make you a fan at all, actually. It's also kind of an empty threat seeing as if the team does stay West, the league knows people would eventually go back to the games if they just wait it out and do nothing.

Let's just see what happens. It would definitely be an interesting spin to see us going East.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#79 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

i thought after this season the jets will move to the west where they should be and the wings will move east?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#80 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

I personally love the late games that I get to watch, but I know that it's a major advantage especially in the playoffs for the team to not have to travel outside of their timezone. I think a major contribution to the 2008 Cup win and their near flawless play was the fact they never went further than the Central time zone in all 3 rounds (NSH, COL, DAL)

Edited by T-Ruff, 25 September 2011 - 04:57 PM.