• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I think we're going to win it all next season

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Here's why: assuming that Lidstrom resigns for about the same price, that a backup goalie is signed for around league minimum, and that Brendan Smith makes the team, we're going to have about 11.9 mil in cap space available to fill three roster positions (here's a link to the math if you'd like to see it for yourself - ). That's enough to add three '4 mil a season'-level players to this roster, aka Franzen-level players.

...I realize that Holland's not going to be wasting all of our cap space just because he can. But I also realize that he's never once in his career let more than a half million or so in cap space go to waste. If there aren't good long-term contract options available, I think that he'll fill out the cap space with the best short-term contract options available (i.e. veterans). I don't watch enough non-Wings hockey to speculate on the possible additions, but I think that we're going to be seeing a much, much better looking team out there next season.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Franzen

Hudler-Zetterberg-Cleary

*?*-Helm-*?*

Mursak-Abdelkader-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi

Lidstrom-*?*

Kronwall-Stuart

Smith-Kindl

Janik

Howard

*?*

plug three '4 mil a season'-level players into those question marks...scary.

Edited by blueadams

I disagree.

Since HE is the one disagreeing with YOUR original statement then it goes without saying that you disagree with his.

In any case, what would make you think that Smith makes the team next year? Given the history of the Wings and the way the organization handles its prospects, the ONLY way Smith makes the team is if he comes into training camp and absolutely blows everybody away and solidifies himself as an immediate top 4 d-man. Other than that I honestly can't see the Wings just bringing him up as a 5/6/7th d-man just because they have the space to do so when he could be earning valuable top pairing minutes in GR.

I disagree.

I agree you disagree, but, as was stated above it seems history is on my side of the argument, Smith had a pretty good season with the Griffins last season, but he still needs another season or two of seasoning in the AHL before he will be ready to make the jump.

Guest blueadams
the ONLY way Smith makes the team is if he comes into training camp and absolutely blows everybody away and solidifies himself as an immediate top 4 d-man.

that's what i think is going to happen.

another cleverly disguised blueadams line thread... I feel very low confidence for this season. Those question marks you have listed aren't easily filled, so I have serious doubts about the quality of players we will have for next season.

I don't think it'll be very hard at all to upgrade what we're shedding with 12 mil in cap space.

Guest blueadams

I agree you disagree, but, as was stated above it seems history is on my side of the argument, Smith had a pretty good season with the Griffins last season, but he still needs another season or two of seasoning in the AHL before he will be ready to make the jump.

Didn't I hear that we wanted him to play with Lidstrom while he's still here? What historical citation predicts how Ken Holland handles a situation like that...where we've got a stud in the waiting, and a hall of famer on the exit?

Guest CaliWingsNut

The draft hasn't even happened yet, and you're calling the win for the wings? Wow...

I'll try to remember this for the next game we lose and you post (ANOTHER) line thread and scream the world is ending.

Predicting a cup is kind of a bold considering no one knows what the roster will look like. Even if they end up with $12 mil to spend on 3 FAs, I don't think it will go very far. The Nucks fans on HF say Ehrhoff will get $5.5 if he stays or $6+ on the free agent market. That's just ridiculous, but with the cap going up I think most big free agents will get overpaid. Then the Wings would looking at trades or lower end guys to find reasonable contracts, so who knows how it works out.

Another clever attempt at a blueadams line thread.

The more I read and hear about the opinion of Smith from the coaching staffs, the more i think he has a legit shot next year at making the club. At the beginning of the offseason I thought it was 90-10 of him not making the squad, now I'm at 60-40 and building steam.

Guest blueadams

Predicting a cup is kind of a bold considering no one knows what the roster will look like. Even if they end up with $12 mil to spend on 3 FAs, I don't think it will go very far. The Nucks fans on HF say Ehrhoff will get $5.5 if he stays or $6+ on the free agent market. That's just ridiculous, but with the cap going up I think most big free agents will get overpaid. Then the Wings would looking at trades or lower end guys to find reasonable contracts, so who knows how it works out.

I think we'll mostly be looking for veterans and short-term contracts. The elite guys to spend on - Doughty, Weber, Suter, Burns, etc. - will be available next off-season.

I think we'll mostly be looking for veterans and short-term contracts. The elite guys to spend on - Doughty, Weber, Suter, Burns, etc. - will be available next off-season.

Which is why I don't buy into the cup prediction. The guys who will get big contracts (Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Laich, Richards) aren't worth it. I agree that Holland will find some 1 year deals and vets to get us to next year, but I don't think that will be good enough to make the Wings cup favorites.

Edited by hockey23

maybe suter. Burns will be RFA and the others are likely to sign long term this summer.... im tired of going veteran. lets ******* get bogosian already. make it happen kenny. now that this move has been made to winnipeg so soon, hopefully they will consider trading bogo.

I'd rather see Tatar than Mursak, that's just me though.

I hope to see Tartar all season in spurts but He'll stay with the Griffs for sure this season. Im soo stoked to see Mursak this year as a staple to our team, this kid is awesome!

Guest blueadams

Which is why I don't buy into the cup prediction. The guys who will get big contracts (Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Laich, Richards) aren't worth it. I agree that Holland will find some 1 year deals and vets to get us to next year, but I don't think that will be good enough to make the Wings cup favorites.

with all of our flaws, we were still pretty close to being good enough to win it all this year, weren't we? i think it'll be significant enough of an upgrade to push us over the top.

How is Bertuzzi not on the 4 lines you've mentioned? :ph34r:

if we add two 4 mil a season-level forwards...he is our 13th best forward

Edited by blueadams