• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heaten

Jonathan Ericsson's Value?

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

I hope he and Holland come to an agreement because I think E is a solid dman (and future #4). Hal Gill just got $2.25 million, so Ericsson should be worth around the same, but has more upside. So if Holland can get a 3 yr deal done, that would be ideal. How about 3 years for $8 million?

I hope he and Holland come to an agreement because I think E is a solid dman (and future #4). Hal Gill just got $2.25 million, so Ericsson should be worth around the same, but has more upside. So if Holland can get a 3 yr deal done, that would be ideal. How about 3 years for $8 million?

I do not want Ericsson for 2.25

I think he should take 1.25 and be happy with it.

Well, before the hate parade starts, let me just say I would love to see him back and he gets WAY too much flack for what he is - a bottom pairing defenseman, who SHOULD be used on the point for the PP... with that said, he is exactly that, a bottom pairing d-man and in my mind, hasn't earned a penny over 1.75 tops, let alone over 2 on a multi year deal... I think he needs to swallow his ego and should be thanking his lucky stars for the reported 2m a year he got offered and jump on it, before he ends up at the last one on the floor without a dance partner, or in a horrible situation (Florida) because he looked for a payday...

Guest Heaten

Well, before the hate parade starts, let me just say I would love to see him back and he gets WAY too much flack for what he is - a bottom pairing defenseman, who SHOULD be used on the point for the PP... with that said, he is exactly that, a bottom pairing d-man and in my mind, hasn't earned a penny over 1.75 tops, let alone over 2 on a multi year deal... I think he needs to swallow his ego and should be thanking his lucky stars for the reported 2m a year he got offered and jump on it, before he ends up at the last one on the floor without a dance partner, or in a horrible situation (Florida) because he looked for a payday...

Who would you compare him to in terms of quality? I am looking around the league to see what others in his talents get. Hal Gill is a good example, expect Ericsson has more speed, better offensive skills, and has upside. On the flip side, he's not as physical or as good along the boards. So... IMO, Ericsson has more value than Gill.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

Wings should offer him 5 year contract, with average of 2.5 mil cap hit. 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5. I bet something like that happens.

Who would you compare him to in terms of quality? I am looking around the league to see what others in his talents get. Hal Gill is a good example, expect Ericsson has more speed, better offensive skills, and has upside. On the flip side, he's not as physical or as good along the boards. So... IMO, Ericsson has more value than Gill.

Gill isn't a very good comparison in my mind, due to the fact that he's a true stay at home defenseman, where Ericsson would be better suited in a more offensive d-man role, but has been forced into a defensive first role by the coaching staff (probably for his own good, as he makes less mistakes when he's focusing on defense first), also, Gill is overpaid and really can't play in today's NHL anymore... the game has kinda passed him by and he's in the twilight of his career...

I think a decent comparison in the league to what Ericsson is right now would be like a Shaone Morrison in Buffalo, but even Morrison is more consistent than Ericsson currently is and he only makes a shade above 2, so I think Ericsson should make a shade less than 2... just my 2 cents

Guest Crymson

Wings should offer him 5 year contract, with average of 2.5 mil cap hit. 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5. I bet something like that happens.

That seems like a huge overpayment for a third-pairing defenseman who has shown absolutely no signs of progress over the last two seasons.

Every once in a while during the playoffs he actually threw his weight around and looked decent on the defensive end but I just don't know if he'll ever develop the instincts to make a good first pass. I can't see signing him long term at this point simply because it is a very high risk situation.

Ericsson is not worth a cent over $1.5m, and if he gets it he's overpaid.

Hal Gill is a horrific comparison. Other than being a big guy and poor skater, they are nothing alike. Gill is solid defensively and is strong physically, but brings no offense and is past his prime. Ericsson is weak defensively, doesn't use his size, but brings top-three and PP QB offensive potential, and he is fairly young. But Ericsson's big problem is that he hasn't shown signs of development, while Gill isn't really regressing much.

So Gill is worth notably more because he's much more likely to provide the advertised goods, and to do so every night.

Hal Gill is a horrific comparison. Other than being a big guy and poor skater, they are nothing alike. Gill is solid defensively and is strong physically, but brings no offense and is past his prime. Ericsson is weak defensively, doesn't use his size, but brings top-three and PP QB offensive potential, and he is fairly young. But Ericsson's big problem is that he hasn't shown signs of development, while Gill isn't really regressing much.

So Gill is worth notably more because he's much more likely to provide the advertised goods, and to do so every night.

I wouldn't call Ericsson weak defensively.. he's just wholly unspectacular.

His positioning without the puck is usually fairly solid, but he occasionally brainfarts.

His checking is decent, but sometimes he gets beat and reacts poorly (usually with his stick, sometimes resulting in a penalty)

He's large, but isn't particularly strong

He doesn't shy away from physical contact, but also doesn't pursue it

He skates well for his size, but can still get burned by smaller, faster players

In regards to defense, he's just.. eh. Just that. 'Eh'. He's a reasonably safe partner defensively for most other d-men (though not defensively unsafe ones), he can chew ES time fairly well, he can occupy depth minutes on the PK relatively safely.. but he's never going to be more than your #4/5 choice in any of those situations unless your desperate.

He does have some upside as a 2nd PP unit sort of d-man, though in my opinion, more as the complementary partner of the D pairing and less so as a QB. He seems more apt to shoot from the point or to jump into the play and attempt to finish than to run the PP and distribute the puck.

Depending how he continues to develop, at his best he can be a decent all-round 2nd pairing d-man, or he can be a safe but incredibly boring #5 (which is more or less what he is now). He's an incredibly unspectacular and ho-hum player to watch, and I think that causes some Wings fans to think he's worse than he actually plays. About the only time he'll ever ever make a highlight reel is on a goal against or a rare goal for.

Edited by Datsyerberger

Guest Crymson

Gill is defensively solid. Ericsson is not. Gill has little in the way of offensive ability; Ericsson has more, but he's too dumb to know how to use it properly. Gill uses his size. Ericsson does not. Etc.

Gill is worth more.

Gill is defensively solid. Ericsson is not. Gill has little in the way of offensive ability; Ericsson has more, but he's too dumb to know how to use it properly. Gill uses his size. Ericsson does not. Etc.

Gill is worth more.

Don't really think it's fair to say Gill is defensively solid. He's defensively excellent. Very good positioning, strong, clears the front of the crease well, blocks shots. He's just got no offense and about as much skating. If the guy could skate better he could've been making Stuart to Volchenkov level money the last coupla years.

I could see Kenny giving him $1.5 mil a year, for maybe 2-3 years. Maybe some type of incentives thrown on top of that for performance.

I think some other team will offer him $2.5-3 mil for at least a few years, if he hits the market. He's a big body that has "potential", someone will take that chance, just on his performance from 3 years ago.

Didn't one of the announcers during the playoffs say he'll get offers of $3.5???

Edited by BigWillieStyle

I think he has more upside/potential than whipping boys like Lebda or Williams. He wants to be here which I'm all for, always like that attitude, but if he thinks he's more than $1.25M-$1.5M a year, I'd say it is time to explore the free agent market. I'd love to have him back but he hasn't shown (yet) that he is no more than a 5th or 6th d-man. If he comes back and blossoms into something better than that, more power to him obviously.

Someone he's always reminded me of is Kurtis Foster on the Oilers (aside from the big point total he put up with Tampa last year). Bomb of a shot, not as physical as he could be for his size, etc. If E does come back to Detroit, I'd like to see him used on the PP to utilize his shot.

Sometimes I wonder if the Red Wings are just trying to push him into a mold he doesn't belong in, but then again they could just be trying to shore up his defensive game so that he can be more complete going forward. Still think he should get to try out some solid PP time.

I'm going to have to disagree, at least in terms of overall value. I haven't watched a ton of Hal Gill but I think consensus would say he's a much better 'defenseman' than Ericsson. Strictly on defense, there's not real comparison. Gill is a huge, experienced defensive defenseman who shuts down opponents. Ericsson has size but doesn't use it, experience but he's actually regressing, and allowed people to literally treat him like a pylon in the playoffs. As for offense, Ericsson doesn't do anything well, he just has more potential for it than Gill does. I would rather Ericsson learn to play Gill's game and forget about offense than be mediocre at trying to be a two-way dman. We need a Gill type anyway.

If Ericsson is suppossed to be our #5-6 defenseman, he shouldn't make anymore than 1.75.

A. If he does, it should only be based on his suppossed 'potential'.

B.Since he's older than most players your still banking on potential in, the deal should be no more than 2 years.

Edited by achildr1

Over 2 million? People suggesting 3 to 5 year contracts? Have you guys even watched a moment of this guy's career?

He has regressed every season since coming to the NHL and people want to give him a raise AND lock him up long term?

I am all for letting him walk, call me a hater or whatever the LGW term of the day is, but Ericsson has done absolutely nothing to warrant a sure spot on the roster.

He doesn't use his size, doesn't use his shot, is bad defensively and offensively, and is good for at least one monumental breakdown a game that results in a goal against.

The only positive thing anyone can say about him is his "potential", which is a completely meaningless word if you don't actually LIVE UP TO THAT POTENTIAL, which Ericsson has never, ever shown even the faintest signs of doing since the 08 playoffs.

Honestly why does ANYONE here like this guy still? For the price the OP is suggesting we could afford TWO equally bad Dman for the same price.

The most I would accept is 1 or 2 years at about 1.4 per. I'd rather he walk though. Let the Leafs overpay him.

Edited by hooon

Guest Crymson

He's worth about a buck fitty. That's right...a buck fitty...

Offer him no more that $1.5-1.75 for 2-3 years. If he doesn't like it, he can try his luck elsewhere like Lilja had to do.

Are you aware that Salei made less than that this season and did arguably a better job? I think $1.5m is too much.

Fixed it for you.

I really don't want to turn this into a hate thread, but come on people, let got of Ericsson. He doesn't work with the Wings. We've given him time but he is not improving. Get another young defender in his place and give him the time we gave Ericsson and I guarantee he'll be better. It drives me crazy when people defend Ericsson, especially after he turned down that $2 mil offer! I'm I the only one who sees this!?

http://youtu.be/4DVAsmrwdtQ

Are you aware that Salei made less than that this season and did arguably a better job? I think $1.5m is too much.

And are you aware that he signed that small of a deal because he had only played 101 games over the previous 3 seasons because of a back injury? Not saying that Salei didn't outplay Big E at all but if not for his injury problems & having to prove that he could stay healthy, odds are he would have signed a bigger deal somewhere else than Detroit for $750k with a possible $350k in performance bonuses last season.