• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ventura2012

Perfect Realignment Solution

Rate this topic

Sorry, this isn't my first post. Had problems with my old account, had to create a new one!

I've been thinking about the talk of realignment after next season, and I think I have come up with a really solid plan. Obviously looking for input/feedback.

Do away with the conferences. Just have 4 divisions. Seed the playoffs 1 to 16. Talk about great rivalries in these divisions!

CLASSIC

Detroit

Toronto

Montreal

Boston

Chicago

NY Rangers

Ottawa

EAST

Philadelphia

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Pittsburgh

Washington

Carolina

Florida

Tampa Bay

CENTRAL

Buffalo

Columbus

Nashville

St. Louis

Minnesota

Dallas

Colorado

WEST

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Los Angeles

San Jose

Anaheim

Phoenix

Switch Ottawa with Philly or Pittsburgh since those two are "classic teams" from the original expansion. Switch Buffalo with Florida, or otherwise Buffalo's travel schedule is disgusting.

Well, the Ottawa Senators are actually a classic team. They won Stanley Cups in 1906 and 1910 and were in the NHL until 1934.

That's actually a very interesting suggestion. Getting rid of conferences is something I don't think they'd allow, however. I remember reading some speculation that they would consider switching to a North and South conference. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I like your idea better.

Well, the Ottawa Senators are actually a classic team. They won Stanley Cups in 1906 and 1910 and were in the NHL until 1934.

Not the same franchise though - but I like your alignment and Philly & Pitts should be in the same division.

Edited by egroen

I dont think they would ever be willing to put all of the original 6 in one division. With exception to Pitt, WSH, and VAN, you have all the big markets in one division. Not good for the teams with weaker attendance.

EDIT: I do like the idea though, my thoughts were that we could do something similar to baseball NL/AL leagues, or north/south like someones else said.

Edited by Din758

ATL/Winnipeg to NW from SE

COL to Pacific

DAL to SE

Dallas would gain from being closer to all the teams there, and fans may go see their team in other southern towns over going out to west from Texas.

Colorado is pretty close to the same schedule and travel times as Dallas.

Winnipeg needs to be realigned, hands down.

I think this works best for start times, travel, actual location, minimal impact, etc. what do you guys think?

and yes, i'd rather detroit moved and all hell broke lose for every other team, but im trying to be realistic.

The pundits on TSN said there is a possibility that Winnipeg will stay in the Southeast Division for this coming season. That's one way to screw them right off the bat.

I think that's already been confirmed as fact and re-alignment won't happen until 2012-13.

Travel is going to be a *****.

Edited by e_prime

I think that's already been confirmed as fact and re-alignment won't happen until 2012-13.

Travel is going to be a *****.

It's still better travel than for any team in the west. They can get over it and be happy they have a team next year.

Guest Crymson

I doubt this will happen. Either a team in the west will move east or, less likely, the league will be organized into north/south rather than east/west.

The league will not be confusing fans with giant realignments.

Here are the options, in order of preference:

1)Winnipeg to Northwest

2)Minnesota to Central

3)Detroit to Northeast

3)Nashville to Southeast

3)Columbus to Southeast

4)Buffalo to Atlantic (if Detroit moves East)

4)Ottawa to Atlantic (if Detroit moves East)

4)Boston to Atlantic (if Detroit moves East)

5)Pittsburgh to Southeast (if Detroit moves East)

5)Philadelphia to Southeast (if Detroit moves East)

Alternatively, move Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, and Chicago to the East. Make three six-team divisions and three four-team divisions. Seed the playoffs 1-16, with guaranteed top-8 seed for division winners.