• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

James Wisniewski

Rate this topic

This just in from the "I Had No Idea" desk.... I had no idea that Pavel Kubina played 55 games with the Adirondack Red Wings in 1997-1998... I see he was drafted by the Lightning, I wonder why he played in Adirondack? Oh well..... back to topic...

There are a few FAs that would be a welcome addition here. Jay Harrision for a 5th/6th DMan who would/is better than Ericsson and Salei at roughly the same price, if not less. Hamrlik can put up 30+ points and finish +10 for you next season and won't be overpaid due to his age. There are a few more that can step in and help us be a contender this year. Sometimes, a one year contract is just as good as a 4-5 year contract.

Harrison and Hamrlik would be fine for cheap 1 year deals, but they're not exactly Rafalski caliber. The only way to replace Rafalski is to overpay for a FA, and I'd rather overpay for one good d-man than limit the options to players who would only come here on cheap deals.

Probably right, and I hope he would opt for a chance at a Cup with Detroit than $5.5M with Florida...

Agreed, but these are men, and If someone offered me 5.5 million and someone offered me 3.75mil...I'd take the 5.5 mil 11 out of 10 times. Unless of course, it was my favorite team in the city I became a man in, then I'd be more loyal to them ;).

Plus, there are a lot of teams that are only missing two or three key signings that would put them over the hump and make them legitament cup contenders. Look at Nashville, one or two more forwards and they are a Stanley Cup team, plus they have like 60 mil in cap space to play with.

Unless of course, it was my favorite team in the city I became a man in, then I'd be more loyal to them ;).

Me too. Man... 6 mile is just full of them chickenheads. Which one did you pick? I'm a fan of Trixie and sometimes Lolita.

...Oh is that not what you meant?

Hes a perfect replacement for raffy thats for sure. I would sign him for a year and see how he does. I havent watched him much but from the looks of it he might be an upgrade over raffy, with his size anyway

:siren:

Agreed, but these are men, and If someone offered me 5.5 million and someone offered me 3.75mil...I'd take the 5.5 mil 11 out of 10 times. Unless of course, it was my favorite team in the city I became a man in, then I'd be more loyal to them ;).

Plus, there are a lot of teams that are only missing two or three key signings that would put them over the hump and make them legitament cup contenders. Look at Nashville, one or two more forwards and they are a Stanley Cup team, plus they have like 60 mil in cap space to play with.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. They have a long way to go before they are the best team in the league. They had a total of (2) 20-goal scorers last year. Compare that to Vancouver who won the President's trophy - they had (2) 40 goal scorers, a 26, a 19 and an 18.

I guess if Nashville picks us a couple of 40 goal scorers, you would be correct. How many 40 goal scorers are on the market?

meaning offensive numbers buddy

When Rafalski came here, he already was a proven player that could put up offensive numbers. Wisniewski has put up good numbers for 1 season. That being said, I think that Wisniewski has a better upside to him being in the prime of his career now. I just don't think we should overpay for him. 4 mil a season would be about the limit I would look at for a player like him. Especially with only 70+ games played for 1 season. Durability is a factor.

Me too. Man... 6 mile is just full of them chickenheads. Which one did you pick? I'm a fan of Trixie and sometimes Lolita.

...Oh is that not what you meant?

LGW, where a thread about a possible FA d-man signing can turn into a joke about prostitution! kudos!

:lol:

I'm sorry, I meant to say, Give me Weber, Richards and trade Hudler for Ovechkin... :rolleyes:

We can trade Huds for a bag of pucks and I wouldnt care, just keep Jovocop off of this team!

When Rafalski came here, he already was a proven player that could put up offensive numbers. Wisniewski has put up good numbers for 1 season. That being said, I think that Wisniewski has a better upside to him being in the prime of his career now. I just don't think we should overpay for him. 4 mil a season would be about the limit I would look at for a player like him. Especially with only 70+ games played for 1 season. Durability is a factor.

When Rafalski came here, the cap was ~$12M lower than what it's expected to be next year. His $6M then would be like $7.4 now.

Also, Wis, in the last three years has scored 105 points in 192 games for .55 ppg. 'One-hit wonder' isn't really accurate.

Rafi in the 3 years before coming here scored 140 in 233 games for .63. That's only about 7 points in a full season.

Wis is much more physical, and about as good defensively as Rafi in '07, and a bit better than Rafi last year. And I wouldn't say durability is much of a factor; but discipline is. In ~2.5 years since coming back from knee surgery in '08, he's missed 7 games from injury and 12 from suspension. I think the Wings could curb the discipline issue, at least to some extent. I think just being on the Wings instead of Anaheim cuts the suspensions in half.

$4M is likely below market value. $5M is probably closer. If we try to pinch pennies now when we have a major need and a lot of cap room, we'll end up with crap and wasted cap space.