• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

That's a blogger's opinion based upon 32 games played.

2010-2011 New York Islanders NHL 32 GP 3 Goals 18 Ast. 21 Pts.

Here's THN assessment:

ASSETS: Has plenty of offensive capability, including the skills to play the point on the power play. Is aggressive by nature. Skates very well and is at his best in an up-tempo system.

FLAWS: Lacks discipline as a defender, including his positioning, decision-making and being overly aggressive. Lacks ideal size and reach.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Aggressive defenseman with all-around ability.

This is why I'm saying it's important to know what role he's going to be filling. The tendency is to want whatever guy that's coming in to be in your top pair, which he won't be. Compare everything above to Rafalski over the last two years and you have a guy who's scored more points, is younger, and plays about the same amount of ice time, and is much more aggressive, but who may turn the puck over or get beat on defense. Gotta remember that Rafalski was among the team leaders in turnovers and didn't have the legs to play good D anymore so was often getting beat. Essentially you've got a guy who has most of the same flaws as Rafalski has had for a couple of seasons now but is bigger, younger, faster, and tougher, and you can get for a couple million dollars cheaper, but still gives you Rafalski level points and plays the same role as Rafalski on the PP. He doesn't have to be Nic, or Kronwall, or Stuart, he just has to be better than Rafalski was for less money and you've come out ahead. I think he is, and I think it's a no brainer...unless Bieksa is coming in around the same money haha (he'll get paid more though), then all bets are off.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

FLAWS: Lacks discipline as a defender, including his positioning, decision-making and being overly aggressive. Lacks ideal size and reach.

smart defense can be taught. the red wings r superb at that. maybe lidstrom will teach him a thing or 2.

#23 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

I know it's only a couple of incidents, but they make me question his decision making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYeKEA5AoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vhXmCwt5w

edit: He also has WizWear available for sale on his official site.

Edited by Travis, 01 June 2011 - 03:13 PM.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#24 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

I know it's only a couple of incidents, but they make me question his decision making.

if these 2 videos make you dislike the guy then please don't watch any of chelios's old videos =)

Me personally i love the avery taunt and that hit on seabrook may it be a little high was not like it was blind sided or anything. i think we need someone with a little more sandpaper like that. thats why i miss downey so much.

The Avery taunt per what some were saying was just Wisniewski telling Avery to brush his teeth. geez=)

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 01 June 2011 - 03:28 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

if these 2 videos make you dislike the guy then please don't watch any of chelios's old videos =)

Me personally i love the avery taunt and that hit on seabrook may it be a little high was not like it was blind sided or anything. i think we need someone with a little more sandpaper like that. thats why i miss downey so much.

Agreed. I'm certainly not opposed to a little dirty play when it's on our side. Chelios did it, Pronger does it. It's the name of the game sometimes and it keeps opposing players guessing. Let Datsyuk be the gentleman, let the Wiz make people pay a price.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#26 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

He'll command at least 5 million a year. I wouldn't be surprised if a team threw 6 million a year at him. He's a top 10 offensive defenseman in terms of point production.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#27 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

That Seabrook hit wasn't bad. Just Seabrook was sellling it. Sure he was high but he didn't really get him in the head, his shoulder hit him in the chest but it was more the follow through arm motion that made it look like head contact. And the Seabrook hit on Perry was worse.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

He'll command at least 5 million a year. I wouldn't be surprised if a team threw 6 million a year at him. He's a top 10 offensive defenseman in terms of point production.

You're right about point production but he's a -14 on the season (-18 with the s***ty Islander I know), and at his best he's not a franchise defenseman. I don't see him making that kind of money in the salary cap world. That said, I've seen the New York Rangers do dumber s*** so you may be right. I'm thinking 4.5 tops, and a steal at 4. You bring up an interesting point though and stranger things have happened.

#29 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

edit: He also has WizWear available for sale on his official site.

i personally love both of these incidents. the avery incident shows he doesnt take s*** from other teams. and apparently seabrook and him were really good friends when wizzy was in chicago. so it shows that wisniewski is all business on the ice, will defend his team (even if the other guy is a close friend), and sees himself as a lil bit of an enforcer.

#30 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

I don't see him making that kind of money in the salary cap world. That said, I've seen the New York Rangers do dumber s*** so you may be right. I'm thinking 4.5 tops, and a steal at 4. You bring up an interesting point though and stranger things have happened.

Agree Wiz is good,but not 5+ million good. still want him in the Wings sweater anyway

#31 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

This guy would fill alot of needs for the wings. They get a guy who can take the right handed shot and produce points on the PP, he is at least marginally better defensively than what Rafalski was in his final years here, he is young, can hit HARD and will enforce a bit if he needs too. He gives Detroit another threat on the blue line to take a guy head off like Stuart and Kronwall do as well.

For anywhere under 5 million I think he would be a solid signing. As a Detroit kid I dont see how he can hate the wings that much, he was probably just saying it because he was playing for Chicago at the time

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#32 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

The Avery taunt per what some were saying was just Wisniewski telling Avery to brush his teeth. geez=)

but with what?

;)
Posted Image

#33 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

i personally love both of these incidents. the avery incident shows he doesnt take s*** from other teams. and apparently seabrook and him were really good friends when wizzy was in chicago. so it shows that wisniewski is all business on the ice, will defend his team (even if the other guy is a close friend), and sees himself as a lil bit of an enforcer.

This.

The Red Wings need a guy who has an edge to his game. The whole thing about his "gesture" to Avery was blown way out of proportion IMO, some overly sensitive parents with sticks up their butts made a stink about it, and the league overreacted. Now, if Wiz had tried to fight Avery after a little snow shower to the goalie, yeah that would be poor decision making. As for the Seabrook hit, it was only illegal in the sense that Seabrook was not playing the puck, but neither a headshot nor worthy of more than a minor penalty.

I hope he will take the hometown discount to come play for the Wings, he has the tools to fill multiple roles in our system, is young, and doesn't take crap from anyone, the more speculation I hear about Wisniewski to Detroit, the more I like it.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#34 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

and if you watch that second video a couple of times seabrook acts like his brain stem was just removed. the announcers noticed it, too.
Posted Image

#35 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

i want him as a wing for 3.7 tops dont know if that wud happen but yea... he wud fit our system perfect.. but if he really hates the wings then i guess he wont sign with us right? check out this pic of him... pure badass!

heres the pic !

Attached Files

#36 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

That's a bummer. Where did you find that info, I've never heard it?

Other Wings forums where some other posters from the area claimed to still know him.
Total hearsay, of course.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#37 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Ive heard speculation that hes gonna be going for around 4 - 4.5. prolly 4.5.

#38 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Other Wings forums where some other posters from the area claimed to still know him.
Total hearsay, of course.

Maybe he is still a little butthurt over Homer's elbow.

works every time

#39 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

You're right about point production but he's a -14 on the season (-18 with the s***ty Islander I know), and at his best he's not a franchise defenseman. I don't see him making that kind of money in the salary cap world. That said, I've seen the New York Rangers do dumber s*** so you may be right. I'm thinking 4.5 tops, and a steal at 4. You bring up an interesting point though and stranger things have happened.

Agree Wiz is good,but not 5+ million good. still want him in the Wings sweater anyway

Oh I don't think he's a 5 million dollar guy to the Red Wings. I just think there are enough teams out there who want offensive production from their back end and will be willing to overpay for it.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#40 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

Good things about Wiz:

Righty shot, plenty of offense (even if he's more of a 30 some-odd point guy than the 50 he was this year it's still solid offense), aggressively physical

Bad things about Wiz:

Undisciplined, small size + aggressive play may lead to injuries long term, lack of defensive commitment, possible rep as a me-first player

If he were to come here, and he didn't live up to the offensive expectations some here may have for him, he would get dogged hard for his flaws, because they are still quite evident in his current game.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.