• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

James Wisniewski

Rate this topic

That Seabrook hit wasn't bad. Just Seabrook was sellling it. Sure he was high but he didn't really get him in the head, his shoulder hit him in the chest but it was more the follow through arm motion that made it look like head contact. And the Seabrook hit on Perry was worse.

He'll command at least 5 million a year. I wouldn't be surprised if a team threw 6 million a year at him. He's a top 10 offensive defenseman in terms of point production.

You're right about point production but he's a -14 on the season (-18 with the s***ty Islander I know), and at his best he's not a franchise defenseman. I don't see him making that kind of money in the salary cap world. That said, I've seen the New York Rangers do dumber s*** so you may be right. I'm thinking 4.5 tops, and a steal at 4. You bring up an interesting point though and stranger things have happened.

I know it's only a couple of incidents, but they make me question his decision making.

edit: He also has WizWear available for sale on his official site.

i personally love both of these incidents. the avery incident shows he doesnt take s*** from other teams. and apparently seabrook and him were really good friends when wizzy was in chicago. so it shows that wisniewski is all business on the ice, will defend his team (even if the other guy is a close friend), and sees himself as a lil bit of an enforcer.

I don't see him making that kind of money in the salary cap world. That said, I've seen the New York Rangers do dumber s*** so you may be right. I'm thinking 4.5 tops, and a steal at 4. You bring up an interesting point though and stranger things have happened.

Agree Wiz is good,but not 5+ million good. still want him in the Wings sweater anyway

This guy would fill alot of needs for the wings. They get a guy who can take the right handed shot and produce points on the PP, he is at least marginally better defensively than what Rafalski was in his final years here, he is young, can hit HARD and will enforce a bit if he needs too. He gives Detroit another threat on the blue line to take a guy head off like Stuart and Kronwall do as well.

For anywhere under 5 million I think he would be a solid signing. As a Detroit kid I dont see how he can hate the wings that much, he was probably just saying it because he was playing for Chicago at the time

i personally love both of these incidents. the avery incident shows he doesnt take s*** from other teams. and apparently seabrook and him were really good friends when wizzy was in chicago. so it shows that wisniewski is all business on the ice, will defend his team (even if the other guy is a close friend), and sees himself as a lil bit of an enforcer.

This.

The Red Wings need a guy who has an edge to his game. The whole thing about his "gesture" to Avery was blown way out of proportion IMO, some overly sensitive parents with sticks up their butts made a stink about it, and the league overreacted. Now, if Wiz had tried to fight Avery after a little snow shower to the goalie, yeah that would be poor decision making. As for the Seabrook hit, it was only illegal in the sense that Seabrook was not playing the puck, but neither a headshot nor worthy of more than a minor penalty.

I hope he will take the hometown discount to come play for the Wings, he has the tools to fill multiple roles in our system, is young, and doesn't take crap from anyone, the more speculation I hear about Wisniewski to Detroit, the more I like it.

and if you watch that second video a couple of times seabrook acts like his brain stem was just removed. the announcers noticed it, too.

That's a bummer. Where did you find that info, I've never heard it?

Other Wings forums where some other posters from the area claimed to still know him.

Total hearsay, of course.

You're right about point production but he's a -14 on the season (-18 with the s***ty Islander I know), and at his best he's not a franchise defenseman. I don't see him making that kind of money in the salary cap world. That said, I've seen the New York Rangers do dumber s*** so you may be right. I'm thinking 4.5 tops, and a steal at 4. You bring up an interesting point though and stranger things have happened.

Agree Wiz is good,but not 5+ million good. still want him in the Wings sweater anyway

Oh I don't think he's a 5 million dollar guy to the Red Wings. I just think there are enough teams out there who want offensive production from their back end and will be willing to overpay for it.

Good things about Wiz:

Righty shot, plenty of offense (even if he's more of a 30 some-odd point guy than the 50 he was this year it's still solid offense), aggressively physical

Bad things about Wiz:

Undisciplined, small size + aggressive play may lead to injuries long term, lack of defensive commitment, possible rep as a me-first player

If he were to come here, and he didn't live up to the offensive expectations some here may have for him, he would get dogged hard for his flaws, because they are still quite evident in his current game.

Good things about Wiz:

Righty shot, plenty of offense (even if he's more of a 30 some-odd point guy than the 50 he was this year it's still solid offense), aggressively physical

Bad things about Wiz:

Undisciplined, small size + aggressive play may lead to injuries long term, lack of defensive commitment, possible rep as a me-first player

If he were to come here, and he didn't live up to the offensive expectations some here may have for him, he would get dogged hard for his flaws, because they are still quite evident in his current game.

I see what you mean here but I don't agree. There is, of course always, a chance that aggressive defensemen will face injury issues and you're right to think that. I just disagree with anyone that said Wiz is small. He isn't small, he's short, big difference. He comes in right around 210 lbs. and he's 5 ft. 11 inches. For some perspective, that's about the same size as Ruslan Salei. Bigger, than Rafalski, Lidstrom, Kronwall. Heavier than Kindl. Five pounds lighter than Stuart and ten pounds lighter than Ericsson. Just an aside, it also makes him five pounds lighter than Scott Stevens and much bigger than Vladamir Konstantinov or Ken Daneyko. I don't care if he's not 6'3 and 220-230 lbs. At 5'11 and 210, if he plays strong and with an edge, he's worth every bit of 4-4.5 mil we'd have to give him.

I see what you mean here but I don't agree. There is, of course always, a chance that aggressive defensemen will face injury issues and you're right to think that. I just disagree with anyone that said Wiz is small. He isn't small, he's short, big difference. He comes in right around 210 lbs. and he's 5 ft. 11 inches. For some perspective, that's about the same size as Ruslan Salei. Bigger, than Rafalski, Lidstrom, Kronwall. Heavier than Kindl. Five pounds lighter than Stuart and ten pounds lighter than Ericsson. Just an aside, it also makes him five pounds lighter than Scott Stevens and much bigger than Vladamir Konstantinov or Ken Daneyko. I don't care if he's not 6'3 and 220-230 lbs. At 5'11 and 210, if he plays strong and with an edge, he's worth every bit of 4-4.5 mil we'd have to give him.

he can destroy people with his body size

I've basically come to the conclusion if there is a thread about a player on these main boards, there is a 0% chance of them coming here, because you look around the league and every team are making these threads. Wings won't overpay, and a contract about 4mil a season is not getting a good value for him. He finally had a breakout year, but this guy is even more fragile than Filppula and anything over 4mil will be lost on the shelf for a third of season, while being compounded because this guy ain't getting any healthier ( twice in the past 7 pro seasons has he played 70+ games).

He'd probably get a 4mil offer from the Wings, but a 5-5.5 from a slew of other teams.

THIS

Hes a perfect replacement for raffy thats for sure. I would sign him for a year and see how he does. I havent watched him much but from the looks of it he might be an upgrade over raffy, with his size anyway

I've basically come to the conclusion if there is a thread about a player on these main boards, there is a 0% chance of them coming here, because you look around the league and every team are making these threads. Wings won't overpay, and a contract about 4mil a season is not getting a good value for him. He finally had a breakout year, but this guy is even more fragile than Filppula and anything over 4mil will be lost on the shelf for a third of season, while being compounded because this guy ain't getting any healthier ( twice in the past 7 pro seasons has he played 70+ games).

He'd probably get a 4mil offer from the Wings, but a 5-5.5 from a slew of other teams.

I don't agree with the "we're gonna sign Weber and Richards" people, but I think you're taking it too far the other way. If Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Kaberle, and Markov aren't coming here then who's left? I just don't see Holland only signing a couple lower tier free agents when he's going to have plenty of cap space.

I don't agree with the "we're gonna sign Weber and Richards" people, but I think you're taking it too far the other way. If Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Kaberle, and Markov aren't coming here then who's left? I just don't see Holland only signing a couple lower tier free agents when he's going to have plenty of cap space.

I completely agree with you, Babcock has already said that they need a top six forward and a top four defenseman to be competitive with the top tier teams and they have the money to spend to do it. I don't think that they will spend their money foolishly (at least I hope they don't) but I do think that they aren't likely to lose out on the only quality free agents out there because they were out bid. Additionally, I don't see any team in the cap era giving Wisniewski five million or above...yet. He could always improve and he'd have to improve to earn a million and a half to two million dollar raise over his last contract. Few competitive teams are going to have the kind of cap room that Detroit will this year, and I don't see a guy like Wisniewski, who's been so close to a championship with Chicago and Anaheim, going to some garbage team for the money.

Well, I certainly hope you are wrong about the 0% chance.... You are right, usually when someone on LGW starts talking about how bad we want a player here, most the time it only makes sense to him/her and a handful of others here. But, Holland is looking for certain qualities in a d-man that would help his team. Most cases what Holland is wanting and what we are wanting are total opposites. This couldn't be more wrong in the case of Wisniewski, Holland needs a right handed shot on the point and the powerplay, he needs someone who is gonna be more of a physical presence in front of the net, plus he is looking to replace Rafalski's point production as best he can....The ONLY thing that is working against Wiz coming here is (and I am not being anit-Euro) that there are a couple Swedish Defense available as well and more times than not, Holland seems to target them first. But, other than that, Wiz seems to be exactly what the Wings need back there...

Regarding his potential overpayment, it wouldn't be the first time Holland has overpaid a player after a breakout year (Draper) and with the available cap space, I see no problem in offering Wiz a $4.5M contract, maybe even $5M but if other teams bid it up over that, then I am not sure about it, I would say instead, give me Jovo and Babchuk and lets see what we can do next off season. I can see Wiz coming here because Detroit is one of the few teams that every training camp you can truthfully say this team has a legit chance at winning the Cup, not just making the playoffs, but actually winning. You cannot say that about Phoenix, LA, Carolina, NY Rangers, Florinda, Colorado et al... Just because a team has a ton of cap space and offers him $6M + at what point does he think he'd rather take less and have a legit chance at a Cup? Whether it be $4.5M here or San Jose or Pittsburgh or Philly, you would think he'd rather take the lessor contract for a Cup...In this case though, Detroit is a perennial Cup contender WITH a ton of Cap Space available, it's a win-win for Wiz and Wings, it should be a no brainer...

I do hear you about the injuries, and that is not a very good average only two 70+ games seasons in seven, BUT just look at Franzen's games played the last 6 years, he has only played 60ish more games than Wiz and has been injured almost every, if not every, season of his career, if not in the regular season, then in the playoffs. Yet we still have him on this team for the rest of his career. Same goes with Kronwall, he has played 7 seasons and only topped 70 twice and has often been injured throughout his career thus far, and its a safe bet when his contract his up, he'll get $5-$6M... I do think Wiz is worth the same gamble we take on these guys every season.

I just hope that Holland is actually looking at Wiz for the reason's that I mentioned above that makes him a great fit/need for this team. After all the crap I took for being mad and confused at to why Holland did NOT sign Malhotra for $1.5M instead opting for Williams at $1.5M because he was a right handed shot and (supposedly) great on the powerplay, if Holland opts to sign a lefthanded defensman instead of the right handed Wiz (for the same or similar price,) I will be even more mad at and confused as to what makes Holland tick. He says he needs a right handed shot, toughness, grit and points, lets see if he actually goes after Wiz on July 1st. Win-Win...

Do It Kenny! Do It!

I completely agree with you, Babcock has already said that they need a top six forward and a top four defenseman to be competitive with the top tier teams and they have the money to spend to do it. I don't think that they will spend their money foolishly (at least I hope they don't) but I do think that they aren't likely to lose out on the only quality free agents out there because they were out bid. Additionally, I don't see any team in the cap era giving Wisniewski five million or above...yet. He could always improve and he'd have to improve to earn a million and a half to two million dollar raise over his last contract. Few competitive teams are going to have the kind of cap room that Detroit will this year, and I don't see a guy like Wisniewski, who's been so close to a championship with Chicago and Anaheim, going to some garbage team for the money.

Yes, a top six forward: Tanguay/Jokinen/Cole

...and yes Wiz would be awesome here, I say offer him a two year $4-$4.5M per and then if he actually improves this team and continues his offensive threat as well as remains the aggressive guy we lack, then give him a nice fat contract, heck in two year he will still only be 29 years old, so if he works out like Stuart or better, why not make Detroit his final stop? again, Win-Win...

There are a few FAs that would be a welcome addition here. Jay Harrision for a 5th/6th DMan who would/is better than Ericsson and Salei at roughly the same price, if not less. Hamrlik can put up 30+ points and finish +10 for you next season and won't be overpaid due to his age. There are a few more that can step in and help us be a contender this year. Sometimes, a one year contract is just as good as a 4-5 year contract.