181 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

I would take him but only at 4 or under
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

Good things about Wiz:

Righty shot, plenty of offense (even if he's more of a 30 some-odd point guy than the 50 he was this year it's still solid offense), aggressively physical

Bad things about Wiz:

Undisciplined, small size + aggressive play may lead to injuries long term, lack of defensive commitment, possible rep as a me-first player

If he were to come here, and he didn't live up to the offensive expectations some here may have for him, he would get dogged hard for his flaws, because they are still quite evident in his current game.

I see what you mean here but I don't agree. There is, of course always, a chance that aggressive defensemen will face injury issues and you're right to think that. I just disagree with anyone that said Wiz is small. He isn't small, he's short, big difference. He comes in right around 210 lbs. and he's 5 ft. 11 inches. For some perspective, that's about the same size as Ruslan Salei. Bigger, than Rafalski, Lidstrom, Kronwall. Heavier than Kindl. Five pounds lighter than Stuart and ten pounds lighter than Ericsson. Just an aside, it also makes him five pounds lighter than Scott Stevens and much bigger than Vladamir Konstantinov or Ken Daneyko. I don't care if he's not 6'3 and 220-230 lbs. At 5'11 and 210, if he plays strong and with an edge, he's worth every bit of 4-4.5 mil we'd have to give him.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

I see what you mean here but I don't agree. There is, of course always, a chance that aggressive defensemen will face injury issues and you're right to think that. I just disagree with anyone that said Wiz is small. He isn't small, he's short, big difference. He comes in right around 210 lbs. and he's 5 ft. 11 inches. For some perspective, that's about the same size as Ruslan Salei. Bigger, than Rafalski, Lidstrom, Kronwall. Heavier than Kindl. Five pounds lighter than Stuart and ten pounds lighter than Ericsson. Just an aside, it also makes him five pounds lighter than Scott Stevens and much bigger than Vladamir Konstantinov or Ken Daneyko. I don't care if he's not 6'3 and 220-230 lbs. At 5'11 and 210, if he plays strong and with an edge, he's worth every bit of 4-4.5 mil we'd have to give him.

he can destroy people with his body size

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#44 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

I've basically come to the conclusion if there is a thread about a player on these main boards, there is a 0% chance of them coming here, because you look around the league and every team are making these threads. Wings won't overpay, and a contract about 4mil a season is not getting a good value for him. He finally had a breakout year, but this guy is even more fragile than Filppula and anything over 4mil will be lost on the shelf for a third of season, while being compounded because this guy ain't getting any healthier ( twice in the past 7 pro seasons has he played 70+ games).

He'd probably get a 4mil offer from the Wings, but a 5-5.5 from a slew of other teams.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#45 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

THIS

#46 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hes a perfect replacement for raffy thats for sure. I would sign him for a year and see how he does. I havent watched him much but from the looks of it he might be an upgrade over raffy, with his size anyway

#47 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

I've basically come to the conclusion if there is a thread about a player on these main boards, there is a 0% chance of them coming here, because you look around the league and every team are making these threads. Wings won't overpay, and a contract about 4mil a season is not getting a good value for him. He finally had a breakout year, but this guy is even more fragile than Filppula and anything over 4mil will be lost on the shelf for a third of season, while being compounded because this guy ain't getting any healthier ( twice in the past 7 pro seasons has he played 70+ games).

He'd probably get a 4mil offer from the Wings, but a 5-5.5 from a slew of other teams.

I don't agree with the "we're gonna sign Weber and Richards" people, but I think you're taking it too far the other way. If Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Kaberle, and Markov aren't coming here then who's left? I just don't see Holland only signing a couple lower tier free agents when he's going to have plenty of cap space.

#48 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

I don't agree with the "we're gonna sign Weber and Richards" people, but I think you're taking it too far the other way. If Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Kaberle, and Markov aren't coming here then who's left? I just don't see Holland only signing a couple lower tier free agents when he's going to have plenty of cap space.

I completely agree with you, Babcock has already said that they need a top six forward and a top four defenseman to be competitive with the top tier teams and they have the money to spend to do it. I don't think that they will spend their money foolishly (at least I hope they don't) but I do think that they aren't likely to lose out on the only quality free agents out there because they were out bid. Additionally, I don't see any team in the cap era giving Wisniewski five million or above...yet. He could always improve and he'd have to improve to earn a million and a half to two million dollar raise over his last contract. Few competitive teams are going to have the kind of cap room that Detroit will this year, and I don't see a guy like Wisniewski, who's been so close to a championship with Chicago and Anaheim, going to some garbage team for the money.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

Well, I certainly hope you are wrong about the 0% chance.... You are right, usually when someone on LGW starts talking about how bad we want a player here, most the time it only makes sense to him/her and a handful of others here. But, Holland is looking for certain qualities in a d-man that would help his team. Most cases what Holland is wanting and what we are wanting are total opposites. This couldn't be more wrong in the case of Wisniewski, Holland needs a right handed shot on the point and the powerplay, he needs someone who is gonna be more of a physical presence in front of the net, plus he is looking to replace Rafalski's point production as best he can....The ONLY thing that is working against Wiz coming here is (and I am not being anit-Euro) that there are a couple Swedish Defense available as well and more times than not, Holland seems to target them first. But, other than that, Wiz seems to be exactly what the Wings need back there...

Regarding his potential overpayment, it wouldn't be the first time Holland has overpaid a player after a breakout year (Draper) and with the available cap space, I see no problem in offering Wiz a $4.5M contract, maybe even $5M but if other teams bid it up over that, then I am not sure about it, I would say instead, give me Jovo and Babchuk and lets see what we can do next off season. I can see Wiz coming here because Detroit is one of the few teams that every training camp you can truthfully say this team has a legit chance at winning the Cup, not just making the playoffs, but actually winning. You cannot say that about Phoenix, LA, Carolina, NY Rangers, Florinda, Colorado et al... Just because a team has a ton of cap space and offers him $6M + at what point does he think he'd rather take less and have a legit chance at a Cup? Whether it be $4.5M here or San Jose or Pittsburgh or Philly, you would think he'd rather take the lessor contract for a Cup...In this case though, Detroit is a perennial Cup contender WITH a ton of Cap Space available, it's a win-win for Wiz and Wings, it should be a no brainer...

I do hear you about the injuries, and that is not a very good average only two 70+ games seasons in seven, BUT just look at Franzen's games played the last 6 years, he has only played 60ish more games than Wiz and has been injured almost every, if not every, season of his career, if not in the regular season, then in the playoffs. Yet we still have him on this team for the rest of his career. Same goes with Kronwall, he has played 7 seasons and only topped 70 twice and has often been injured throughout his career thus far, and its a safe bet when his contract his up, he'll get $5-$6M... I do think Wiz is worth the same gamble we take on these guys every season.

I just hope that Holland is actually looking at Wiz for the reason's that I mentioned above that makes him a great fit/need for this team. After all the crap I took for being mad and confused at to why Holland did NOT sign Malhotra for $1.5M instead opting for Williams at $1.5M because he was a right handed shot and (supposedly) great on the powerplay, if Holland opts to sign a lefthanded defensman instead of the right handed Wiz (for the same or similar price,) I will be even more mad at and confused as to what makes Holland tick. He says he needs a right handed shot, toughness, grit and points, lets see if he actually goes after Wiz on July 1st. Win-Win...

Do It Kenny! Do It!

I completely agree with you, Babcock has already said that they need a top six forward and a top four defenseman to be competitive with the top tier teams and they have the money to spend to do it. I don't think that they will spend their money foolishly (at least I hope they don't) but I do think that they aren't likely to lose out on the only quality free agents out there because they were out bid. Additionally, I don't see any team in the cap era giving Wisniewski five million or above...yet. He could always improve and he'd have to improve to earn a million and a half to two million dollar raise over his last contract. Few competitive teams are going to have the kind of cap room that Detroit will this year, and I don't see a guy like Wisniewski, who's been so close to a championship with Chicago and Anaheim, going to some garbage team for the money.

Yes, a top six forward: Tanguay/Jokinen/Cole

...and yes Wiz would be awesome here, I say offer him a two year $4-$4.5M per and then if he actually improves this team and continues his offensive threat as well as remains the aggressive guy we lack, then give him a nice fat contract, heck in two year he will still only be 29 years old, so if he works out like Stuart or better, why not make Detroit his final stop? again, Win-Win...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#50 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

There are a few FAs that would be a welcome addition here. Jay Harrision for a 5th/6th DMan who would/is better than Ericsson and Salei at roughly the same price, if not less. Hamrlik can put up 30+ points and finish +10 for you next season and won't be overpaid due to his age. There are a few more that can step in and help us be a contender this year. Sometimes, a one year contract is just as good as a 4-5 year contract.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#51 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

I would take him but only at 4 or under

None of the UFA's thrown around in these thread are likely to sign that cheap. Who do you suggest?

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,780 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#53 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

This just in from the "I Had No Idea" desk.... I had no idea that Pavel Kubina played 55 games with the Adirondack Red Wings in 1997-1998... I see he was drafted by the Lightning, I wonder why he played in Adirondack? Oh well..... back to topic...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#54 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

There are a few FAs that would be a welcome addition here. Jay Harrision for a 5th/6th DMan who would/is better than Ericsson and Salei at roughly the same price, if not less. Hamrlik can put up 30+ points and finish +10 for you next season and won't be overpaid due to his age. There are a few more that can step in and help us be a contender this year. Sometimes, a one year contract is just as good as a 4-5 year contract.

Harrison and Hamrlik would be fine for cheap 1 year deals, but they're not exactly Rafalski caliber. The only way to replace Rafalski is to overpay for a FA, and I'd rather overpay for one good d-man than limit the options to players who would only come here on cheap deals.

#55 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Probably right, and I hope he would opt for a chance at a Cup with Detroit than $5.5M with Florida...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#56 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Probably right, and I hope he would opt for a chance at a Cup with Detroit than $5.5M with Florida...

Agreed, but these are men, and If someone offered me 5.5 million and someone offered me 3.75mil...I'd take the 5.5 mil 11 out of 10 times. Unless of course, it was my favorite team in the city I became a man in, then I'd be more loyal to them ;).

Plus, there are a lot of teams that are only missing two or three key signings that would put them over the hump and make them legitament cup contenders. Look at Nashville, one or two more forwards and they are a Stanley Cup team, plus they have like 60 mil in cap space to play with.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#57 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Unless of course, it was my favorite team in the city I became a man in, then I'd be more loyal to them ;).

Me too. Man... 6 mile is just full of them chickenheads. Which one did you pick? I'm a fan of Trixie and sometimes Lolita.

...Oh is that not what you meant?

#58 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

Hes a perfect replacement for raffy thats for sure. I would sign him for a year and see how he does. I havent watched him much but from the looks of it he might be an upgrade over raffy, with his size anyway

:siren:

#59 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

:siren:

meaning offensive numbers buddy

Edited by brett, 03 June 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#60 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,780 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

He would do well here, imo.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman