130 replies to this topic

#1 Kingston

Kingston

Rookie

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Per: TSN.ca

With the Dallas Stars' ownership situation not likely to be settled until later this summer, the team will not be making a contract offer to Brad Richards.

Richards, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will be playing elsewhere next season.

The Stars would be interested in trading exclusive negotiating rights with Richards before July 1, but such a move would require Richards to waive his no movement clause and there are no guarantees of that happening.

Richards, 31, scored 28 goals and 77 points in 72 games last season and has 220 goals and 716 points in 772 career games with the Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Stars are also interviewing candidates to replace former head coach Marc Crawford, who was fired in April after Dallas missed the playoffs.

Top candidates include former Star Kirk Muller, along with Nashville Predators assistant coach Peter Horachek and Texas Stars (AHL) head coach Glen Gulutzan.

Muller is currently in Dallas to be interviewed for the position.

#2 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

He would be worth signing IMO. I don't care if he is the highest paid player on the team he would be worth getting.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#3 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

He'd be a great signing, except he'd get a hell of a lot more somewhere else. Plus, we are fine offensively.

B Rad isn't coming to Detroit.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#4 Kingston

Kingston

Rookie

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

I was searching around on Richards,

The free agent to-be has told an old Tampa source that he has no real interest in playing in Toronto, if he, in fact, becomes a free agent come July. Richards' first choice is to remain in Dallas, assuming the team gets sold and can afford to sign him. His second and third choice, not necessarily in order, would be returning to Tampa (which doesn't seem possible economically) or playing for his old coach, John Tortorella, with the New York Rangers. He has also hinted about having some interest regarding playing in Carolina.

When asked about Toronto, he apparently said nothing but shook his head.

Toronto Sun.

I think NYR, TB , LA and probably Carolina.

Maybe Kenny will work his 'Hossa' Magic on Richards. I will laugh it that happens, and end up wining the cup.

#5 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

He'd be a great signing, except he'd get a hell of a lot more somewhere else. Plus, we are fine offensively.

If we move Hudler we can sign him for as much as he could get elsewhere.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($8.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Kris Draper ($0.850m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.750m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,771,211; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $628,789

I would see what that could do, also think we could get him for the seven million range.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#6 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

He is going to be ridiculously overpaid next year I bet...
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#7 Kingston

Kingston

Rookie

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

If we move Hudler we can sign him for as much as he could get elsewhere.

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($8.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Kris Draper ($0.850m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.750m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,771,211; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $628,789

I would see what that could do, also think we could get him for the seven million range.

question is.. who's going to take Hudler..

#8 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

he's a great player,but rather want from Ken to sign a scoring winger than center :cool:

#9 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

I was searching around on Richards,

Toronto Sun.

I think NYR, TB , LA and probably Carolina.

Maybe Kenny will work his 'Hossa' Magic on Richards. I will laugh it that happens, and end up wining the cup.

Ha! I hope all the Toronto fans catch wind of this, they're even worse than Red Wings fans when it comes to assuming that players will want to play for their team -- and we are pretty bad for that. Every time a big-name free agent comes up, Toronto fans assume he will want to come there and lose play. It gets tiring.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#10 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Well, somewhere-not-Detroit will be offering him a huge contract. Could maybe see him take a moderate discount for TB, or alternatively, Sather pays a crapton of money for him... Richards and Gaborik together would be pretty awesome. Well, as long as it's not together on IR. <_<
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#11 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

ChrisBottaNHL Chris Botta
told Brad Richards' first choice is not to sign where hockey's life and there are a lot of reporters. He may not have that choice.
2 hours ago

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL

#12 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

Based on that quote, NYR seems the most likely bet. Don't they have a lot of cap? And we know they love overpaying players.
Posted Image

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

The thing is, and i know its 99.99999% fact that he wont be a Red Wing next year, BUT Holland does have enough cash next year to offer him a $9M contract.

If the Cap goes up to the rumored $62.3M (third number I heard BTW) that will give the Wings $21.49M in Cap space before anyone is signed... Given that Lids will get at least $6, Wiz a generous $4.5M, they would then have to trade away Hudler's salary, giving them $4.8M to finish up the roster. Slight raises to Miller/Eaves and then add Mursak. That would leave $2.5M and they would have just enough for another $1M defenseman a 7th league minimum defenseman and a league minimum goalie... I know there has been a lot of talk about Jovo, but he made $6.5M last year, do you think he would sign for under $2M somewhere? Anyhow, I will leave the mopping up to Holland, but so far my pipedream roster looks like this...

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Brad Richards ($9.000m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)
Drew Miller ($0.850m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / ????????
????????

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
????????????

SALARY CAP: $62,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,783,711; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $2,516,289

...BUT, this all depends on Holland being able to move Hudler before July 1st, if he cannot dump his salary, then even this pipedream goes up in smoke...

I sure hope the cap goes up the $5.1M that it has been rumored to (that would be $64.5M and would give Holland $4.7M to mop up,) that would help out alot! But, Richards it is not impossible, just improbable... (unless he does pull a Hossa for one year and then gets a multi-year deal next off season...)

Edited by LeftWinger, 02 June 2011 - 06:40 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#14 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

I don't see where people are thinking that they are going to be able to trade Hudler. Sure, they could put him in the minors and eat his contract, but I just don't see that happening either. Brad Richards will not come to Detroit. They can't pay him enough.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#15 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

Expect the Rags to make him an inflated offer, and heavily play the Torts card. Overpaying FAs is Sather's bread and butter. Sounds like it'll come down to money vs. lack of "media pressure".

#16 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Based on that quote, NYR seems the most likely bet. Don't they have a lot of cap? And we know they love overpaying players.

Yes, The Rangers are where players go for big paydays and no Cups.... but he has won a Cup already in Tampa, so maybe he wants the moon now too....God Bless him!

Even though I worked up that roster above, I personally would rather see a Tanguay and a Jokinen here for a ton less Cap hit, that way Holland could easily sign the right players...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#17 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Wait so Richards doesn't want to play in a hockey crazy market? Why not exactly? Also, I want Holland to work his magic in bringing in players that take LESS to be here and have a real shot at the Cup. No way in hell Richards or anyone else should make more than Z or Dats or Lidstrom, assuming he returns.

#18 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Downie - Stamkos - St. Louis
Lecavalier - Richards - Malone

That pretty much needs to happen. And if they have to trade Malone to make it work cap-wise, they can play Purcell there.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#19 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

I don't see where people are thinking that they are going to be able to trade Hudler. Sure, they could put him in the minors and eat his contract, but I just don't see that happening either. Brad Richards will not come to Detroit. They can't pay him enough.

Well, for the right price, someone would take Hudler, even if it were for a lower draft pick (4th or 5th.)

I certainly hope that $9M is enough to get Richards anywhere, not even saying he would be here, but if he turns down $9M, then there is a problem, Crosby is $8.7M and Ovechkin is $9.5M, with all due respect to Brad Richards and as much as I cannot stand Crosby, Brad aint no Crosby or Ovechkin, so there is NO WAY he gets more than Ovechkin and the only reason I put him down at $9M (more than Crosby) is that I would hope it would be more than anyone else would offer him...but there is always the Rags. But surprisingly they, even when the Cap goes up, have a bit less cap space than Detroit does and they only have 13 roster players sign right now...Detroit has 14 signed...

Downie - Stamkos - St. Louis
Lecavalier - Richards - Malone

That pretty much needs to happen. And if they have to trade Malone to make it work cap-wise, they can play Purcell there.

Ok, Hudler for Malone! There ya go Stevie, some cap relief! :ninja:

Edited by LeftWinger, 02 June 2011 - 06:52 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#20 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

My source, i.e. my gut instinct, tells me he may wind up in Columbus as that team finally gets someone to play with Nash.