• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kingston

Brad Richards

Rate this topic

Per: TSN.ca

With the Dallas Stars' ownership situation not likely to be settled until later this summer, the team will not be making a contract offer to Brad Richards.

Richards, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will be playing elsewhere next season.

The Stars would be interested in trading exclusive negotiating rights with Richards before July 1, but such a move would require Richards to waive his no movement clause and there are no guarantees of that happening.

Richards, 31, scored 28 goals and 77 points in 72 games last season and has 220 goals and 716 points in 772 career games with the Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Stars are also interviewing candidates to replace former head coach Marc Crawford, who was fired in April after Dallas missed the playoffs.

Top candidates include former Star Kirk Muller, along with Nashville Predators assistant coach Peter Horachek and Texas Stars (AHL) head coach Glen Gulutzan.

Muller is currently in Dallas to be interviewed for the position.

I was searching around on Richards,

The free agent to-be has told an old Tampa source that he has no real interest in playing in Toronto, if he, in fact, becomes a free agent come July. Richards' first choice is to remain in Dallas, assuming the team gets sold and can afford to sign him. His second and third choice, not necessarily in order, would be returning to Tampa (which doesn't seem possible economically) or playing for his old coach, John Tortorella, with the New York Rangers. He has also hinted about having some interest regarding playing in Carolina.

When asked about Toronto, he apparently said nothing but shook his head.

Toronto Sun.

I think NYR, TB , LA and probably Carolina.

Maybe Kenny will work his 'Hossa' Magic on Richards. I will laugh it that happens, and end up wining the cup.

He'd be a great signing, except he'd get a hell of a lot more somewhere else. Plus, we are fine offensively.

If we move Hudler we can sign him for as much as he could get elsewhere.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($8.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Kris Draper ($0.850m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.750m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,771,211; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $628,789

I would see what that could do, also think we could get him for the seven million range.

If we move Hudler we can sign him for as much as he could get elsewhere.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($8.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Kris Draper ($0.850m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.750m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,771,211; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $628,789

I would see what that could do, also think we could get him for the seven million range.

question is.. who's going to take Hudler..

I was searching around on Richards,

Toronto Sun.

I think NYR, TB , LA and probably Carolina.

Maybe Kenny will work his 'Hossa' Magic on Richards. I will laugh it that happens, and end up wining the cup.

Ha! I hope all the Toronto fans catch wind of this, they're even worse than Red Wings fans when it comes to assuming that players will want to play for their team -- and we are pretty bad for that. Every time a big-name free agent comes up, Toronto fans assume he will want to come there and lose play. It gets tiring.

Well, somewhere-not-Detroit will be offering him a huge contract. Could maybe see him take a moderate discount for TB, or alternatively, Sather pays a crapton of money for him... Richards and Gaborik together would be pretty awesome. Well, as long as it's not together on IR. <_<

The thing is, and i know its 99.99999% fact that he wont be a Red Wing next year, BUT Holland does have enough cash next year to offer him a $9M contract.

If the Cap goes up to the rumored $62.3M (third number I heard BTW) that will give the Wings $21.49M in Cap space before anyone is signed... Given that Lids will get at least $6, Wiz a generous $4.5M, they would then have to trade away Hudler's salary, giving them $4.8M to finish up the roster. Slight raises to Miller/Eaves and then add Mursak. That would leave $2.5M and they would have just enough for another $1M defenseman a 7th league minimum defenseman and a league minimum goalie... I know there has been a lot of talk about Jovo, but he made $6.5M last year, do you think he would sign for under $2M somewhere? Anyhow, I will leave the mopping up to Holland, but so far my pipedream roster looks like this...

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Brad Richards ($9.000m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)

Drew Miller ($0.850m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / ????????

????????

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

????????????

SALARY CAP: $62,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,783,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $2,516,289

...BUT, this all depends on Holland being able to move Hudler before July 1st, if he cannot dump his salary, then even this pipedream goes up in smoke...

I sure hope the cap goes up the $5.1M that it has been rumored to (that would be $64.5M and would give Holland $4.7M to mop up,) that would help out alot! But, Richards it is not impossible, just improbable... (unless he does pull a Hossa for one year and then gets a multi-year deal next off season...)

Edited by LeftWinger

I don't see where people are thinking that they are going to be able to trade Hudler. Sure, they could put him in the minors and eat his contract, but I just don't see that happening either. Brad Richards will not come to Detroit. They can't pay him enough.

Expect the Rags to make him an inflated offer, and heavily play the Torts card. Overpaying FAs is Sather's bread and butter. Sounds like it'll come down to money vs. lack of "media pressure".

Based on that quote, NYR seems the most likely bet. Don't they have a lot of cap? And we know they love overpaying players.

Yes, The Rangers are where players go for big paydays and no Cups.... but he has won a Cup already in Tampa, so maybe he wants the moon now too....God Bless him!

Even though I worked up that roster above, I personally would rather see a Tanguay and a Jokinen here for a ton less Cap hit, that way Holland could easily sign the right players...

Wait so Richards doesn't want to play in a hockey crazy market? Why not exactly? Also, I want Holland to work his magic in bringing in players that take LESS to be here and have a real shot at the Cup. No way in hell Richards or anyone else should make more than Z or Dats or Lidstrom, assuming he returns.

I don't see where people are thinking that they are going to be able to trade Hudler. Sure, they could put him in the minors and eat his contract, but I just don't see that happening either. Brad Richards will not come to Detroit. They can't pay him enough.

Well, for the right price, someone would take Hudler, even if it were for a lower draft pick (4th or 5th.)

I certainly hope that $9M is enough to get Richards anywhere, not even saying he would be here, but if he turns down $9M, then there is a problem, Crosby is $8.7M and Ovechkin is $9.5M, with all due respect to Brad Richards and as much as I cannot stand Crosby, Brad aint no Crosby or Ovechkin, so there is NO WAY he gets more than Ovechkin and the only reason I put him down at $9M (more than Crosby) is that I would hope it would be more than anyone else would offer him...but there is always the Rags. But surprisingly they, even when the Cap goes up, have a bit less cap space than Detroit does and they only have 13 roster players sign right now...Detroit has 14 signed...

Downie - Stamkos - St. Louis

Lecavalier - Richards - Malone

That pretty much needs to happen. And if they have to trade Malone to make it work cap-wise, they can play Purcell there.

Ok, Hudler for Malone! There ya go Stevie, some cap relief! :ninja:

Edited by LeftWinger

Wait so Richards doesn't want to play in a hockey crazy market? Why not exactly? Also, I want Holland to work his magic in bringing in players that take LESS to be here and have a real shot at the Cup. No way in hell Richards or anyone else should make more than Z or Dats or Lidstrom, assuming he returns.

I gladly take Ovechkin and his $9.5M....

also, regarding Hudler, if push came to shove they could send him down and someone would surely pick him up for free? Wouldn't they? Holland could always loan him to a Euro team ala Chicago...

Interesting take on the Blue Jackets. How much does Nash make a year? Its less then 9 a year right?

also, regarding Hudler, if push came to shove they could send him down and someone would surely pick him up for free? Wouldn't they? Holland could always loan him to a Euro team ala Chicago...

By anyone else I mean on the market.

Interesting take on the Blue Jackets. How much does Nash make a year? Its less then 9 a year right?

By anyone else I mean on the market.

Here is Columbus' currect roster situation before any increase in cap. They could afford him, but they sure need to makes some other moves as well... especially on Defense...

FORWARDS

Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Kristian Huselius ($4.750m) / R.J. Umberger ($3.750m)

Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.650m)

Matt Calvert ($0.891m) / Jared Boll ($0.725m) / Derek MacKenzie ($0.600m)

Derek Dorsett ($0.562m)

DEFENSEMEN

Fedor Tyutin ($2.843m) / Kris Russell ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS

Steve Mason ($2.900m)

BUYOUTS: Duvie Westcott ($0.616m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $36,339,583; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (13-man roster): $23,060,417

Edited by LeftWinger

Hudler was .51 in P/G last year, which puts him at a similar scoring pace to many forwards making as much or more money with him. Even with his obvious deficiencies, some offensively needy team would take him in a trade (even it were for a relatively cheap price).

I personally think it's better to see what he does next year than take the cheap deal we'd probably get for him; the potential value of his offense is higher than what people would offer right now. The only way I'd take the cheap deal is if I had a need to clear the cap space (and only after I'm sure I had contracts locked up that would make this necessary, not on the hope that I might be able to grab some FA that may or may not sign here)

Yeah no kidding on the defense. That team has so many holes just about anything is an improvement. Put it to everyone this way: when they signed Kristian Huselius a few years back, as well as now, are VERY excited about him...