• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kingston

Brad Richards

Rate this topic

Richards looking for $64M over 8 years.

Except we are looking for big holes to fill on defense, not offense. Our offense ranked top five in the regular season AND playoffs (2nd). Kuklas Corner must read LGW because the teams we mentioned are the same ones we mentioned...weeks ago...

Except we are looking for big holes to fill on defense, not offense. Our offense ranked top five in the regular season AND playoffs (2nd). Kuklas Corner must read LGW because the teams we mentioned are the same ones we mentioned...weeks ago...

Babcock disagrees, and I would too, not too often I disagree with you, but in this case with Rafalski gone, there is an offensive hole on the Wings. If they pick up Richards, that will fill that hole.

Babcock disagrees, and I would too, not too often I disagree with you, but in this case with Rafalski gone, there is an offensive hole on the Wings. If they pick up Richards, that will fill that hole.

Holland disagrees with Babcock:

"We need great news on Nick Lidstrom," Holland said. "If we get great news on Nick Lidstrom, we need a defenseman or two (in free agency), depending on where their salary is at. We're kind of done up front. Our top three lines, for the most part, are in place. Our No.1 goal is defense and we've got to rebuild a little bit now. We're hoping on Nick Lidstrom (returning)."

Babcock is saying what every coach alwayssays. "We would like to add a top six forward and a top 4 defensman". This is nothing new, ever coach says it. We are fine offensively. Add some sand paper to the 4th line is all we have to do there. If the WIngs add Hamrlik, that solves some of the offense we lose from Rafalski. I don't give a s*** that he is old, Hamrlik will play 75+ games and put up over 30 points and finish with a +/- of 10 or higher.

Guest Crymson

I'm sure the team would love to have Richards, but I sincerely doubt that they'll outbid teams like Toronto for him. I can't see him getting more than $6.5m per year in Detroit.

Holland disagrees with Babcock:

Babcock is saying what every coach alwayssays. "We would like to add a top six forward and a top 4 defensman". This is nothing new, ever coach says it. We are fine offensively. Add some sand paper to the 4th line is all we have to do there. If the WIngs add Hamrlik, that solves some of the offense we lose from Rafalski. I don't give a s*** that he is old, Hamrlik will play 75+ games and put up over 30 points and finish with a +/- of 10 or higher.

No Hamrlik, I am tired of the wings gambling on old men who never seem to pan out. I mean who last season would have guessed that Modano would come, play a handful of games, and get benched in the playoffs? If the wings are going to get points from the back end better to do it with someone who won't just be on a one year contract.

As for what Holland said, its very ambivalent, 'pretty much set' isn't 'not going to try to make a move'. I think what he means is if the season starts tomorrow he would be happy with his top 9, but, hes a smart GM and if a good deal for Richards comes along he will take it.

Edited by Shaman464

Guest Crymson

As for what Holland said, its very ambivalent, 'pretty much set' isn't 'not going to try to make a move'. I think what he means is if the season starts tomorrow he would be happy with his top 9, but, hes a smart GM and if a good deal for Richards comes along he will take it.

If Richards will take significantly less to come to the Wings, I'm sure Holland will sign him. But I doubt Richards will pass up $8m-$9m from the Leafs or others.

No Hamrlik, I am tired of the wings gambling on old men who never seem to pan out. I mean who last season would have guessed that Modano would come, play a handful of games, and get benched in the playoffs? If the wings are going to get points from the back end better to do it with someone who won't just be on a one year contract.

Modano was suppose to come in and play around 41 games. I thought that was what he was brought in to do, to rotate with players? ANd there wasn't much of a gamble with modano, seeing as he didn't have that big of a cap hit.

Obviously if a good deal comes along he'll take it, he's not stupid. But Holland says he's pretty much set with his top 9, to me, that means he likes his top 9 how it is. babcock says he would "like" to add a top 6 forward, how is that any less ambivalent? Both men are postering and saying everything that all parts of a team says.

Like I said, who gives a f*** if Hamrlik is old? You're telling me you wouldn't take a guy, who next year, will put up 30+ points and finish +10 next season just because he is old? Would I rather have a 28 year old who will do the same? Yes. Would I rather pay someone who is ten years older 70-50% of what that 28 year old will be wanting who will perform the same or probably better? Yes. That's called being a smart GM.

Modano was suppose to come in and play around 41 games. I thought that was what he was brought in to do, to rotate with players? ANd there wasn't much of a gamble with modano, seeing as he didn't have that big of a cap hit.

Obviously if a good deal comes along he'll take it, he's not stupid. But Holland says he's pretty much set with his top 9, to me, that means he likes his top 9 how it is. babcock says he would "like" to add a top 6 forward, how is that any less ambivalent? Both men are postering and saying everything that all parts of a team says.

Like I said, who gives a f*** if Hamrlik is old? You're telling me you wouldn't take a guy, who next year, will put up 30+ points and finish +10 next season just because he is old? Would I rather have a 28 year old who will do the same? Yes. Would I rather pay someone who is ten years older 70-50% of what that 28 year old will be wanting who will perform the same or probably better? Yes. That's called being a smart GM.

Sure in NHL 11 thats smart, but in real life where you can't count on the future. Locking up a young guy for 4-5 years who can score 30+ is better than 1 year of it because sometimes prospects don't pan out, and sometimes in the offseason you aren't able to replace a part. Thats why I believe taking a younger player who is entering their prime and offering them 50% more but also having them for longer term is a better move than taking a 37 year old man and hoping he will be a good stop gap.

Edited by Shaman464

This will be one of Winnipeg's "big splash" moves. The Thrashers roster they inherited has virtually no offense (besides Ladd). The Wings don't need to spend big money on a forward...a D-man? YES. A forward? NO.

Sure in NHL 11 thats smart, but in real life where you can't count on the future. Locking up a young guy for 4-5 years who can score 30+ is better than 1 year of it because you sometimes prospects don't pan out, and sometimes in the offseason you aren't able to replace a part. Thats why I believe taking a younger player who is entering their prime and offering them 50% more but also having them for longer term is a better move than taking a 37 year old man and hoping he will be a good stop gap.

Except Hamrlik has been highly consistent throughout his entire career and a few of the guys that are being thrown around have had one or two good years. Signing them long term might turn out to be a great move, or they can pull a Hudler and not live up to the contract you give them.

Just to stay on point of this thread, if B.Rad really wants 8mil+, then pass. If he'd take 6mil long term with the NHL's premier franchise, then do it.

This will be one of Winnipeg's "big splash" moves. The Thrashers roster they inherited has virtually no offense (besides Ladd). The Wings don't need to spend big money on a forward...a D-man? YES. A forward? NO.

This may be the first and only time I will ever agree with you.

Except Hamrlik has been highly consistent throughout his entire career and a few of the guys that are being thrown around have had one or two good years. Signing them long term might turn out to be a great move, or they can pull a Hudler and not live up to the contract you give them.

Just to stay on point of this thread, if B.Rad really wants 8mil+, then pass. If he'd take 6mil long term with the NHL's premier franchise, then do it.

This may be the first and only time I will ever agree with you.

This can happen no matter the player, amount or contract term, so I don't see why it even needs to be said. I mean Hamrlik can take a one year contract, and just not decide to show up. Again my personal opinion its better to take a guy in his mid to late 20s, offer them a 5+ contract and have one less thing to worry about over the next few years. Plus theres Lidstrom, hes more than likely done next season, and if the Wings sign Hamrlick hes probably only got a year left in him, you are faced with the same issue next year but compounded.

I don't think Holland will waste much time pursuing Richards. Let's not forget that even though many people bash the likes of Hudler or Fill, the wings had the second best offense in the league last year (only scoring one less goal than Vancouver) but had the worst goals against out of any playoff team. Instead of paying 8 mill for another forward, it makes sense to try to solidify a defense that was completely lacking last season let alone the fact that Rafalski is gone. I think the only way Richards is wearing a wings jersey is if he takes a pay cut and wants to be in detroit (similar to what hull and Lucky Luke did in 2002).

Exactly.

Toronto, NYR, and even Boston (that is if Savard retires) have a better shot at signing Richards than the Red Wings.

Personally I don't see Holland joining the trio above in the insanity that will come July 1st...Me thinks Holland will look at what Dmen are available instead.

I'm with you. Holland is not even looking for a forward and certainly not a high priced forward. The only way Richards ends up here is if he pulls a Hossa and calls Kenny asking to make a deal at a discount.

As far as the comments in this thread about Hudler, I doubt that he is going anywhere. To get rid of him, Kenny will have to give up a prospect to sweeten the pot. My guess is that Huds gets another year to get back on the right track. He played well in '08 so he is capable and the benching in the playoffs hopefully will serve as a wake-up call.

Exactly.

Toronto, NYR, and even Boston (that is if Savard retires) have a better shot at signing Richards than the Red Wings.

Personally I don't see Holland joining the trio above in the insanity that will come July 1st...Me thinks Holland will look at what Dmen are available instead.

If they move Hudler, they might not have to choose between Richards and a d-man; just sign both.

If they move Hudler, they might not have to choose between Richards and a d-man; just sign both.

If they move Hudler for no cap hit in return ill s*** bricks. The only player I can see that happening with Is Flip because he has a lot of assets teams want and a good cap hit.

Guest Crymson

Richards isn't going to take a pay cut anywhere or discounted price for anyone. Especially not us. I'll eat my own words if it happens but highly doubtful. Maybe Tampa but doubtful as well. Richards is looking for something probably at $7 million for 5-6 years at least.

Reports are that he's looking for something in the area of $64m over eight years.

Yeah I can see that but no more than $8 million. He'll probably end up getting something between $7-8 million. And for what you mentioned Crymson I don't see Tampa Bay signing him like that since they have to sign some key compenants this summer the biggest being Stamkos.

Richards coming to Detroit is a pipedream but I would love to have him even if he isn't exactly what we need. Better shot at getting Parise I think than Richards :D Probably not though

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Richards isn't going to take a pay cut anywhere or discounted price for anyone. Especially not us. I'll eat my own words if it happens but highly doubtful. Maybe Tampa but doubtful as well. Richards is looking for something probably at $7 million for 5-6 years at least.

Considering he made $7.8 last year, I'd say there's a pretty good chance he does take a pay cut. Not enough of one to come here most likely, and his salary may be higher. But the cap hit will likely be lower.

I love all these article that say the Wings are interested. Of course they are, the entire league is interested.

Will he go for the Hossa gamble? With a deep playoff run/Stanley Cup on his resume it does increase his value slightly, plus, every player wants to have their name on the Cup, and the Wings would give him his best shot, so the question is: Does he take less for a year to chase the cup, then cash in after with a large long term contract?

Ummm:

brad-richards-04-stanley-cup-03-%C2%A9photofile.jpg

E86E74964644EE4A1A2A6E754D70.jpg

He has a Conn Smythe and a Cup.