• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kingston

Brad Richards

Rate this topic

I love all these article that say the Wings are interested. Of course they are, the entire league is interested.

I think they understand that and only include teams with intent, and the money to follow through.

I think they understand that and only include teams with intent, and the money to follow through.

Except the Wings haven't expressed any interest (I know Babcock said top six forward/top 4 DMan, but EVERY coach says that. Holland says their top fine is fine) and we need to invest that "cap space" in defensemen, not an overpaid forward. So I still laugh at those articles.

Except the Wings haven't expressed any interest (I know Babcock said top six forward/top 4 DMan, but EVERY coach says that. Holland says their top fine is fine) and we need to invest that "cap space" in defensemen, not an overpaid forward. So I still laugh at those articles.

Did Holland express any public interest in Hossa before July 1st 2008?

I love all these article that say the Wings are interested. Of course they are, the entire league is interested.

Ummm:

brad-richards-04-stanley-cup-03-%C2%A9photofile.jpg

E86E74964644EE4A1A2A6E754D70.jpg

He has a Conn Smythe and a Cup.

Damn it, you got me, youre right, I should have done research before i put my foot into my mouth.

Did Holland express any public interest in Hossa before July 1st 2008?

Damn it, you got me, youre right, I should have done research before i put my foot into my mouth.

Difference now, though, is that the Wings have a glaring weakness at defense and needs to fill. Back when we signed Hossa we had the best offense AND defense and a buttload of cash to spend. Now we have a buttload of cash to spend but we need defensive help in a bad bad bad way.

Difference now, though, is that the Wings have a glaring weakness at defense and needs to fill. Back when we signed Hossa we had the best offense AND defense and a buttload of cash to spend. Now we have a buttload of cash to spend but we need defensive help in a bad bad bad way.

Wait are you implying that players wont sign on the Wings for league min just for the privilege of playing for the wings?

I totally understand and I agree, a forward is a secondary concern after filling defensive holes.

Modano was suppose to come in and play around 41 games. I thought that was what he was brought in to do, to rotate with players? ANd there wasn't much of a gamble with modano, seeing as he didn't have that big of a cap hit.

The Mo signing did not allow the Wings to go get someone useful for the playoff run at the trade dead line.

Thread topic:

As much as the Wings need another top 3 defensmen we need another top 6 forward. Richards isn't the answer IMO but a C who can produce 60-70 tops is what we need.

Edited by dragonballgtz

The Mo signing did not allow the Wings to go get someone useful for the playoff run at the trade dead line.

Thread topic:

As much as the Wings need another top 3 defensmen we need another top 6 forward. Richards isn't the answer IMO but a C who can produce 60-70 tops is what we need.

We had the second highest offense in the league and we had plenty of LTIR if we needed a formidable player. I think we were able to take in a 1.5mil player at the trade deadline due to our LTIR, plus we could have traded Hudler at the deadline to free up space for anyone we wanted so that point is moot.

Given all of our pressing needs on defense and how much we're going to have to pay for those, if the Wings sign Brad Richards to the (ungoldly) contract he's going to sign somewhere, I'll probably throw up. Also, I'll probably start assuming that Ken Holland and Jimmy D have been replaced by some sort of pod people genetically engineered in a laboratory by Glen Sather.

Given all of our pressing needs on defense and how much we're going to have to pay for those, if the Wings sign Brad Richards to the (ungoldly) contract he's going to sign somewhere, I'll probably throw up. Also, I'll probably start assuming that Ken Holland and Jimmy D have been replaced by some sort of pod people genetically engineered in a laboratory by Glen Sather.

I believe the only way Richards signs here is if its a one year, one shot at another Cup, Hossa type deal. I do agree the more glaring need is defense. I would rather see Holland spend $12M on making his defense better than spending $8M on one forward.....

For Richards, the ideal spot for him is Tampa Bay. He's expressed a desire to go back there, they'll be competitive, he enjoyed his time there and the Bolts have a ton of cash to spend. I could see Richards on the LW again and if Yzerman could find a trading partner for Malone (who just had a strong playoff, this won't be like trying to trade Hudler) that would really lessen the cap hit they would get with a Richards signing.

Richards is not gonna sign for us for a "shot at the cup". He has his name on the cup ffs. He wants a long term deal which we can't offer tbh.

So, thats it? You get your name on the Cup once and you could care less if you ever do again? I agree he probably wants a long term deal somewhere, but there is no doubt he wants another "shot at the Cup." If I remember correctly, Kris Draper had said its a dream that he got his name on the Cup, but once you win it, you want it again and again... Odds are he goes back to Tampa, since they to have enough cash to sign him, plus made a serious run at the Cup this year...

Not really saying he doesn't want his name on the cup again. But coming to Detroit for a chance at the cup isn't going to happen for Richards. Maybe it's Tampa but honestly they have to sign Stamkos (probably long term) and goaltending and some other players as well. I don't know if Steve is going to be able to sing Richards (long term) if that is what Richards is seeking. In any case Toronto is highly rumored but when isn't Toronto highly rumored for every big UFA. lol

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Not really saying he doesn't want his name on the cup again. But coming to Detroit for a chance at the cup isn't going to happen for Richards. Maybe it's Tampa but honestly they have to sign Stamkos (probably long term) and goaltending and some other players as well. I don't know if Steve is going to be able to sing Richards (long term) if that is what Richards is seeking. In any case Toronto is highly rumored but when isn't Toronto highly rumored for every big UFA. lol

Yeah! also, when is Toronto going to have a chance at the Cup? :hysterical:

This is just silly. Like others have said-- it would have to be a 1 year deal or a deal with a too good to be true cap hit.

Lidstrom's retirement is just around the corner... the Wings aren't going to commit his cap space to a top six forward. Even if they develop a replacement internally that player will eventually have to be re-signed once their rookie contract is up.

Richards will want a long-term contract (or possibly a 1 year Cup shot but that's less likely since he doesn't 'need' another Cup). Holland would be a fool to use d-man money to sign an expensive premier UFA forward this summer. I'm sure Holland's more concerned about solidifying the Wings' defence for the future.

This is just silly. Like others have said-- it would have to be a 1 year deal or a deal with a too good to be true cap hit.

Lidstrom's retirement is just around the corner... the Wings aren't going to commit his cap space to a top six forward. Even if they develop a replacement internally that player will eventually have to be re-signed once their rookie contract is up.

Richards will want a long-term contract (or possibly a 1 year Cup shot but that's less likely since he doesn't 'need' another Cup). Holland would be a fool to use d-man money to sign an expensive premier UFA forward this summer. I'm sure Holland's more concerned about solidifying the Wings' defence for the future.

Very eloquently spoken, but it won't change people's minds around here for whatever reason, unfortunately.

u r looking too one dimensionally at this. In theory, if Holland were to trade say Filppula or Franzen in a package (with Kindl and picks) for a guy like say, Burns, you would be in essence switching cap from offense to defense, and then freeing up space to spend on a top six guy. You are saying that we would just be adding to offense without shaving anyone off, and leaving less money for securing the D. Holland said he would be open to a trade to replace rafalski, and it most likely won't be a dman for dman+picks+prospects swap. This leaves money to spend on more than just the D. I'm not saying we'll get burns, just using it as an example. Although I have seen some wild fans on HF boards saying they needed a pure scorer with size (Franzen) really badly (they were talking about setoguchi or heatley for burns).

u r looking too one dimensionally at this. In theory, if Holland were to trade say Filppula or Franzen in a package (with Kindl and picks) for a guy like say, Burns, you would be in essence switching cap from offense to defense, and then freeing up space to spend on a top six guy. You are saying that we would just be adding to offense without shaving anyone off, and leaving less money for securing the D. Holland said he would be open to a trade to replace rafalski, and it most likely won't be a dman for dman+picks+prospects swap. This leaves money to spend on more than just the D. I'm not saying we'll get burns, just using it as an example. Although I have seen some wild fans on HF boards saying they needed a pure scorer with size (Franzen) really badly (they were talking about setoguchi or heatley for burns).

Well if I were them, I'd much rather have Seto or Heats instead of the oft injured Franzen...

GD! I just want this off season to start!!! ARGH!!!

Guest Crymson

Very eloquently spoken, but it won't change people's minds around here for whatever reason, unfortunately.

Yes, for the following reasons (amongst others):

1) They are completely unaware of intangibles.

2) They think that trading players in real life is like it is in NHL 11 or Eastside Hockey Manager.

3) They want instant gratification and have no interest in considering the future.

Yes, for the following reasons (amongst others):

1) They are completely unaware of intangibles.

2) They think that trading players in real life is like it is in NHL 11 or Eastside Hockey Manager.

3) They want instant gratification and have no interest in considering the future.

...why doesn't anyone ever mention Bethesda Software's awards winning Wayne Gretzky Hockey and the long awaited WGH General Manager's expansion set? Now that was a game! Anyone?

LW. Before, I just thought you as kneejerk or reactionary... Now. I see where you are coming from. ...and I'm on board! :thumbup:

EDIT: Emoticons don't work on my phone for some reason... and well, I'm all about those. :lol:

Edited by e_prime

As much as I love your avatar. The fact that Wild fans of HF say they need a scorer with size doesn't mean that Burns is up for a trade. (Despite any rumblings...)

Well if I were them, I'd much rather have Seto or Heats instead of the oft injured Franzen...

You don't say?! Seto over Heats though... I don't know what Heater's deal is, but I would take almost anyone over this guy.

man I would love it if we got our hands on Burns...I know its off topic, but it really gives me a hard on to think its possible...

Dirty... but yes, I'm in agreement.