• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#101 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

Yeah but honestly you think a paycut is going to be anything lower than $7 million?

Hmm - possibly if he gets several years.

At any rate I'm certain he has 2 - maybe 3 teams already picked out.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#102 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Edited for retardation.

Edited by Shaman464, 05 June 2011 - 04:56 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#103 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

True. But tt's most certainly gonna be several years.

#104 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

I love all these article that say the Wings are interested. Of course they are, the entire league is interested.

Will he go for the Hossa gamble? With a deep playoff run/Stanley Cup on his resume it does increase his value slightly, plus, every player wants to have their name on the Cup, and the Wings would give him his best shot, so the question is: Does he take less for a year to chase the cup, then cash in after with a large long term contract?

Ummm:
Posted Image
Posted Image

He has a Conn Smythe and a Cup.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#105 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

I love all these article that say the Wings are interested. Of course they are, the entire league is interested.

I think they understand that and only include teams with intent, and the money to follow through.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#106 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

I think they understand that and only include teams with intent, and the money to follow through.

Except the Wings haven't expressed any interest (I know Babcock said top six forward/top 4 DMan, but EVERY coach says that. Holland says their top fine is fine) and we need to invest that "cap space" in defensemen, not an overpaid forward. So I still laugh at those articles.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#107 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Except the Wings haven't expressed any interest (I know Babcock said top six forward/top 4 DMan, but EVERY coach says that. Holland says their top fine is fine) and we need to invest that "cap space" in defensemen, not an overpaid forward. So I still laugh at those articles.

Did Holland express any public interest in Hossa before July 1st 2008?

Ummm:
Posted Image
Posted Image

He has a Conn Smythe and a Cup.

Damn it, you got me, youre right, I should have done research before i put my foot into my mouth.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#108 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Did Holland express any public interest in Hossa before July 1st 2008?

Damn it, you got me, youre right, I should have done research before i put my foot into my mouth.

Difference now, though, is that the Wings have a glaring weakness at defense and needs to fill. Back when we signed Hossa we had the best offense AND defense and a buttload of cash to spend. Now we have a buttload of cash to spend but we need defensive help in a bad bad bad way.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#109 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

Difference now, though, is that the Wings have a glaring weakness at defense and needs to fill. Back when we signed Hossa we had the best offense AND defense and a buttload of cash to spend. Now we have a buttload of cash to spend but we need defensive help in a bad bad bad way.

Wait are you implying that players wont sign on the Wings for league min just for the privilege of playing for the wings?

I totally understand and I agree, a forward is a secondary concern after filling defensive holes.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#110 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

Modano was suppose to come in and play around 41 games. I thought that was what he was brought in to do, to rotate with players? ANd there wasn't much of a gamble with modano, seeing as he didn't have that big of a cap hit.

The Mo signing did not allow the Wings to go get someone useful for the playoff run at the trade dead line.

Thread topic:
As much as the Wings need another top 3 defensmen we need another top 6 forward. Richards isn't the answer IMO but a C who can produce 60-70 tops is what we need.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 05 June 2011 - 05:10 PM.

#111 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

The Mo signing did not allow the Wings to go get someone useful for the playoff run at the trade dead line.

Thread topic:
As much as the Wings need another top 3 defensmen we need another top 6 forward. Richards isn't the answer IMO but a C who can produce 60-70 tops is what we need.

We had the second highest offense in the league and we had plenty of LTIR if we needed a formidable player. I think we were able to take in a 1.5mil player at the trade deadline due to our LTIR, plus we could have traded Hudler at the deadline to free up space for anyone we wanted so that point is moot.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#112 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

Given all of our pressing needs on defense and how much we're going to have to pay for those, if the Wings sign Brad Richards to the (ungoldly) contract he's going to sign somewhere, I'll probably throw up. Also, I'll probably start assuming that Ken Holland and Jimmy D have been replaced by some sort of pod people genetically engineered in a laboratory by Glen Sather.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#113 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Given all of our pressing needs on defense and how much we're going to have to pay for those, if the Wings sign Brad Richards to the (ungoldly) contract he's going to sign somewhere, I'll probably throw up. Also, I'll probably start assuming that Ken Holland and Jimmy D have been replaced by some sort of pod people genetically engineered in a laboratory by Glen Sather.

I believe the only way Richards signs here is if its a one year, one shot at another Cup, Hossa type deal. I do agree the more glaring need is defense. I would rather see Holland spend $12M on making his defense better than spending $8M on one forward.....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#114 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Richards is not gonna sign for us for a "shot at the cup". He has his name on the cup ffs. He wants a long term deal which we can't offer tbh.

#115 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

For Richards, the ideal spot for him is Tampa Bay. He's expressed a desire to go back there, they'll be competitive, he enjoyed his time there and the Bolts have a ton of cash to spend. I could see Richards on the LW again and if Yzerman could find a trading partner for Malone (who just had a strong playoff, this won't be like trying to trade Hudler) that would really lessen the cap hit they would get with a Richards signing.

#116 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Richards is not gonna sign for us for a "shot at the cup". He has his name on the cup ffs. He wants a long term deal which we can't offer tbh.

So, thats it? You get your name on the Cup once and you could care less if you ever do again? I agree he probably wants a long term deal somewhere, but there is no doubt he wants another "shot at the Cup." If I remember correctly, Kris Draper had said its a dream that he got his name on the Cup, but once you win it, you want it again and again... Odds are he goes back to Tampa, since they to have enough cash to sign him, plus made a serious run at the Cup this year...

www.thinkdunes.com

#117 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

Not really saying he doesn't want his name on the cup again. But coming to Detroit for a chance at the cup isn't going to happen for Richards. Maybe it's Tampa but honestly they have to sign Stamkos (probably long term) and goaltending and some other players as well. I don't know if Steve is going to be able to sing Richards (long term) if that is what Richards is seeking. In any case Toronto is highly rumored but when isn't Toronto highly rumored for every big UFA. lol

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 08 June 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#118 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

Not really saying he doesn't want his name on the cup again. But coming to Detroit for a chance at the cup isn't going to happen for Richards. Maybe it's Tampa but honestly they have to sign Stamkos (probably long term) and goaltending and some other players as well. I don't know if Steve is going to be able to sing Richards (long term) if that is what Richards is seeking. In any case Toronto is highly rumored but when isn't Toronto highly rumored for every big UFA. lol

Yeah! also, when is Toronto going to have a chance at the Cup? :hysterical:

www.thinkdunes.com

#119 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

This is just silly. Like others have said-- it would have to be a 1 year deal or a deal with a too good to be true cap hit.

Lidstrom's retirement is just around the corner... the Wings aren't going to commit his cap space to a top six forward. Even if they develop a replacement internally that player will eventually have to be re-signed once their rookie contract is up.

Richards will want a long-term contract (or possibly a 1 year Cup shot but that's less likely since he doesn't 'need' another Cup). Holland would be a fool to use d-man money to sign an expensive premier UFA forward this summer. I'm sure Holland's more concerned about solidifying the Wings' defence for the future.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#120 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

This is just silly. Like others have said-- it would have to be a 1 year deal or a deal with a too good to be true cap hit.

Lidstrom's retirement is just around the corner... the Wings aren't going to commit his cap space to a top six forward. Even if they develop a replacement internally that player will eventually have to be re-signed once their rookie contract is up.

Richards will want a long-term contract (or possibly a 1 year Cup shot but that's less likely since he doesn't 'need' another Cup). Holland would be a fool to use d-man money to sign an expensive premier UFA forward this summer. I'm sure Holland's more concerned about solidifying the Wings' defence for the future.

Very eloquently spoken, but it won't change people's minds around here for whatever reason, unfortunately.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank