- Joe Sakic

- Curtis Joseph

Who would you pick, given four choices?

Edited by MacK_Attack

Pavel Bure

Doug Gilmour

Joe Nieuwendyk

Dave Andreychuk

Belfour probably deserves to get in. Honestly, I don't know, other than Bure, take your pick. I don't see why Lindros should ever be included in the Hall of Fame, if ever there was a definition of flash in the pan it was him.

Each year it becomes more clear to me how useless Hall of Fames are. I don't know if having annual inductions is a good thing, and I especially don't know if including so many players each year is a good thing. Sometimes it seems less like a Hall of Fame and more like some quota they have to fill. What would be truly impressive is being inducted into a Hall of Fame with less than 50 people in it.

Edited by VM1138

Is there anyone higher than Oates on the all-time points list who isn't already in the hall?

(of those eligible of course)

I know, I know, no Stanley Cup or personal awards, but 1420 points. a very respectable 156 points in 163 playoff games. one of the best passers the game has seen and a major factor in Hull's success.

Oates should get in this time.

Belfour

Lindros

Bure

Oates

Andreychuk

If not for Cam Neely, I wouldn't put Bure or Lindros on the list. Pandora's box. Also, Ciccarelli's recent induction puts Andreychuk in easily.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Belfour

Lindros

Bure

Oates

Andreychuk

If not for Cam Neely, I wouldn't put Bure or Lindros on the list. Pandora's box. Also, Ciccarelli's recent induction puts Andreychuk in easily.

I think Bure and Lindros are well ahead of Neely. I see Dino as better than Andreychuk though Dino was surprising when there were much better players out there: Makarov, Howe, Oates and Gilmour.

Edited by egroen

Mark Howe, definitely. I'm biased, I know, but he should go in. The rest, looking pretty paltry, if you ask me.

Mark Howe, definitely. I'm biased, I know, but he should go in. The rest, looking pretty paltry, if you ask me.

There's no bias there; the only defensemen in the world who were at his level during his career were Bourque, Fetisov, and arguably Coffey, Chelios, and some might put Stevens or MacInnis in that group but they weren't challenging for the Norris every year during Howe's career. What's your induction criteria? Top 30 forwards, top 20 defensemen, top 10 goalies? Top fives maybe? You can't cut Howe out unless you ignore all of the times he was a Norris finalist, Norris contender, and postseason All-Star. It would be like keeping Mike Modano out because although he had some great years, there was always someone who clearly outshined him - be it Lemieux, Fedorov, Yzerman, Gretzky, Messier, Lindros, Forsberg, Sakic, etc.

Howe has belonged in the Hall since he was first eligible.

Here's the list of first-time eligible candidates:

- Ed Belfour

- Trevor Linden

- Glen Wesley

The remaining candidates:

- Joe Nieuwendyk

- Doug Gilmour

- Pavel Bure

- Alex Mogilny

- Eric Lindros

- Adam Oates

- John LeClair

- Phil Housley

- Theo Fleury

- Guy Carbonneau

- Dave Andreychuk

- Tom Barrasso

- Sergei Makarov

- Mark Howe

To consider, on the door-step in 2012:

- Mats Sundin

- Jeremy Roenick

- Brendan Shanahan

- Gary Roberts

- Claude Lemieux

- Olaf Kozig

- Markus Naslund

Who would you pick, given four choices?

Hasek and Jagr not eligible this year? Or do they have to retire from hockey completely first?

Also, you're forgetting Sakic and Cujo in next year's class.

I'm guessing this year will be like last. No one really stands out, they'll probably pick one who's been waiting a while. Howe or Oates. I really doubt we'll see 4 get in.

There's no bias there; the only defensemen in the world who were at his level during his career were Bourque, Fetisov, and arguably Coffey, Chelios, and some might put Stevens or MacInnis in that group but they weren't challenging for the Norris every year during Howe's career. What's your induction criteria? Top 30 forwards, top 20 defensemen, top 10 goalies? Top fives maybe? You can't cut Howe out unless you ignore all of the times he was a Norris finalist, Norris contender, and postseason All-Star. It would be like keeping Mike Modano out because although he had some great years, there was always someone who clearly outshined him - be it Lemieux, Fedorov, Yzerman, Gretzky, Messier, Lindros, Forsberg, Sakic, etc.

Howe has belonged in the Hall since he was first eligible.

The reason I said I might be biased is because I talk to Mark every year at training camp in TC, and he's a really nice guy. I like talking to him and he's always been willing to sit and talk to us as well. So what can I say?

Hasek and Jagr not eligible this year? Or do they have to retire from hockey completely first?

They have to retire completely (and in Hasek's case, STAY RETIRED) for three years to eligible for induction. Both are still active players.

Honestly, I don't know, other than Bure, take your pick. I don't see why Lindros should ever be included in the Hall of Fame, if ever there was a definition of flash in the pan it was him.

So, I'd be okay with someone picking Bure over Lindros, I'd disagree, but I'd be okay with it as someone's opinion, but it would appear to me (maybe I'm wrong), that Bure was your first pick out of all that are eligible and you are suggsting that Lindros doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. I know I'm putting words in your mouth, but it looks like you are putting light years between these two guys.

Help me understand the difference? Lindros has more points, a better ppg stat, a Hart trophy and a Pearson trophy. Bure has never been an MVP. If you ask me, Lindros dominated the game like no one else other than Gretzky and Lemieux during the years I have been watching (very early 80's).

My opinion - not sure I'd put Lindros in because his career was shortened by injuries, but if Neeley is in there, not sure how you leave out Lindros (or Bure for that matter).

So, I'd be okay with someone picking Bure over Lindros, I'd disagree, but I'd be okay with it as someone's opinion, but it would appear to me (maybe I'm wrong), that Bure was your first pick out of all that are eligible and you are suggsting that Lindros doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. I know I'm putting words in your mouth, but it looks like you are putting light years between these two guys.

Help me understand the difference? Lindros has more points, a better ppg stat, a Hart trophy and a Pearson trophy. Bure has never been an MVP. If you ask me, Lindros dominated the game like no one else other than Gretzky and Lemieux during the years I have been watching (very early 80's).

My opinion - not sure I'd put Lindros in because his career was shortened by injuries, but if Neeley is in there, not sure how you leave out Lindros (or Bure for that matter).

Agreed. Lindros wasn't a flash in the pan.

He was a dominant player who's career was cut short by injuries, particularly the concussions (no thanks to the Flyers coaching and medical staff).

If anything he should be in the Hall for helping the Avs win their first Cup. :P

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Ironically, both guys played together for those underachieving Rangers teams of the last decade.

Agree with you on Lindros having a better career than Bure. I'd put them both in the Hall, as I said on the first page. Cam Neely's induction really opened the floodgates for guys with brief, but brilliant careers.

Edited by GMRwings1983

They have to retire completely (and in Hasek's case, STAY RETIRED) for three years to eligible for induction. Both are still active players.

just curious but is there a certain level of league they can't be playing in or what?

I mean....what if Hasek's like 80 and playing in some random really low level professional league? because I could actually see something like that happening :lol: