• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Thoughts on Joni Pitkanen

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I haven't seen a lot of Carolina games in the last few years, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing about Joni Pitkanen, and I wanted to hear what the board thought of him.

He's young-ish (27). He's big. He's physical. He's solid defensively. He's got a lot of offensive talent. And he sort of seems to be flying under the radar, so he might be had at a reasonable price. It sounds like he's had consistency issues, but the Red Wing way takes care of a lot of that stuff traditionally.

I'd rather have Bieksa or Ehroff, but I think that both of those guys are going to get priced out of Holland's range for them. Kaberle's too soft for my taste. And Wisniewski kind of scares me as a 'one-hit-wonder' guy. Jovanovski I wouldn't mind I guess. But Pitkanen could be a long-term piece at 27 years old.

Thoughts?

Edited by blueadams

Guest blueadams

I'm.... I'm.... stunned.... Where's the line combo?

PS. Eva's hard on for Pitkanen in 5....4....3....2.....

I would...but...last time i included lines in a post there was an uproar and it got removed (which was a shame, because it was a good, informative post).

I'm.... I'm.... stunned.... Where's the line combo?

PS. Eva's hard on for Pitkanen in 5....4....3....2.....

Is it a hard on now because I've been saying for over a year that the Wings should sign him this summer? Not intelligent forethought? I suppose being a common target of personal attacks will get you that change.

Is it a hard on now because I've been saying for over a year that the Wings should sign him this summer? Not intelligent forethought? I suppose being a common target of personal attacks will get you that change.

I've had a hard on for Filppula for 4 years now, it's something that doesn't change with time. Don't hide it brah. Not to mention in every thread, you somehow bring up Pits and how you want him here. He is the definition of someone who tickles your fancy, and you just admitted it. So no, it was quite the intelligent forethought.

I've had a hard on for Filppula for 4 years now, it's something that doesn't change with time. Don't hide it brah. Not to mention in every thread, you somehow bring up Pits and how you want him here. He is the definition of someone who tickles your fancy, and you just admitted it. So no, it was quite the intelligent forethought.

Kopecky-Hudler-Williams

Pitkanen-Meech

Guest Crymson

I haven't seen a lot of Carolina games in the last few years

This is painfully obvious, based on what you say about him in this post. Let's dissect this description of him you've made, shall we?

He's young-ish (27).

This is true.

He's big.

He's fairly tall (6'3"), but he's slim for that size.

He's physical.

Not notably.

He's solid defensively.

Absolutely wrong. Not even Hurricanes fans would claim that he is defensively solid.

He's got a lot of offensive talent.

He's above average, but he's not a premiere puck-mover.

And he sort of seems to be flying under the radar, so he might be had at a reasonable price.

Very unlikely. He's currently #1 D for the Hurricanes, and they're almost certain to fight to keep him. This means a probable price tag of $5m+.

It sounds like he's had consistency issues, but the Red Wing way takes care of a lot of that stuff traditionally.

Such as?

Hes an okay guy for liek a 4th dman but he isn't very physical, not sure where you got that one from

It seems like the meaning of the phrase "playing physical" is changing. I couldn't find it but I remember reading an article where Jim Nill said that when they tell their players/prospects to play physical, they really mean playing tough on the puck first. Therefore, if a player wins a lot of his battles for the puck or just seems to have the puck a lot, then these days they play physical according to some. <_<

It seems like the meaning of the phrase "playing physical" is changing. I couldn't find it but I remember reading an article where Jim Nill said that when they tell their players/prospects to play physical, they really mean playing tough on the puck first. Therefore, if a player wins a lot of his battles for the puck or just seems to have the puck a lot, then these days they play physical according to some. <_<

New NHL.

'Nough said.

Seriously, the way the league is now, you don't really want a player who is going to do much more than that because it will more than likely end in a penalty.

Hes an okay guy for liek a 4th dman but he isn't very physical, not sure where you got that one from

Tons and tons of pre NHL scouting reports say that he is.... As for NHL scouting reports, he's as soft as a kitten.

Simple as this - for what we need, he does not fill the role.

We need another capable RIGHT handed shot which can log major PP minutes and someone who can QB the play and move the puck, he fills one of those needs, but not the other, then when you add his softness to the equation, along with his likely pricetag, he just doesn't fit here... I'm not going to hate on him like some have been, he's a very good dman and has great offensive punch and would probably fit here great under different circumstances, but for what we need right now, he doesn't fill that need and with Kronwall and Stuarts contracts coming up next year (not to mention forwards we will need to re-sign), we don't need to overpay on someone who isn't a perfect(or at least close to) fit...

EDIT - Almost forgot, kudos to blueadams for FINALLY becoming a contributing member to this board with a topic that actually warrants some semblance of discussion and not just polluting it with line thread bile

Edited by stevkrause

As a Raleigh Native, I can say you want no part of pitkanen.

If you think Rafalski had defensive short commings this season, Joni will make you scream.

He's a semi-effective PP guy and he did log a ton of min. for carolina, but that was only because no one else was there to do it.

He was a big fish in a small pond, in Detroit he'd be a med. sized fished in a very large pond.

It seems like the meaning of the phrase "playing physical" is changing. I couldn't find it but I remember reading an article where Jim Nill said that when they tell their players/prospects to play physical, they really mean playing tough on the puck first. Therefore, if a player wins a lot of his battles for the puck or just seems to have the puck a lot, then these days they play physical according to some. dry.gif

By this rationale Lidstrom and Kronwall are just as physical as one another, or Filpula and Stuart, considering they all battle hard for loose pucks and more often than not, come up with them. Staying on the puck and working hard on your assignments is not the same thing as a defenseman being physical. Shea Weber is physical, Kronwall and Stuart are both pretty physical, Ed Jovanovski is physical. Shane Doan is a very physical forward. Joni Pitkanen is not a physical hockey player, unless of course you change the meaning of "physical hockey player" to "hard working" hockey player. In which case you'd still have to convince me that Pitkanen meets the qualifications, but at least then I'd be able to walk around talking about how Henrik Zetterberg is the most physical player in hockey.

Guest blueadams

Seems like everyone agrees that he's not physical (I did read that he was in an NHL Draft Scouting report, btw...good guess). The guy from Carolina saying that he's worst defensively than Rafalski really puts it over the top for me though.

Bring on Jovanovski for a one year deal I guess. Maybe our top 6 forward signing will be a righty that can man the point on the PP.

Seems like everyone agrees that he's not physical (I did read that he was in an NHL Draft Scouting report, btw...good guess). The guy from Carolina saying that he's worst defensively than Rafalski really puts it over the top for me though.

Bring on Jovanovski for a one year deal I guess. Maybe our top 6 forward signing will be a righty that can man the point on the PP.

I wouldn't mind Jovanovski, but with an acquisition like him, we're hardly getting younger(Jovanovski turns 35 later this month). Who knows how much he has left in the tank. Ideally, Kevin Bieksa is my first choice, but we all know he will be overpaid by someone. Who knows if he's in Vancouver's future plans.

Guest Crymson

Why did you post such a broken "description" of Pitkanen?