• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Thoughts on Joni Pitkanen

Rate this topic

Honestly,I don't know too much about him, alot of folks here get excited about him and alot don't. I've mentioned him before just based on stats and some of the positive stuff I have read on here, but I am reading more and more negative things and I am not liking it.... Honestly, I believe the Wings should sign Wiz, Jovo and Lids, then decide whether or not to pay Ericsson or let Kindl be our #6 guy and have someone else be #7...

I hear things negative and positive about everyone, nobody is 100% positive, there are always negatives about someone, but when the negatives start piling up and passing up the positives, then there may be a problem. The negs I hear about Wiz and Jovo are a little concerning, but I believe the positive things about them outweigh the negatives I have heard. If Holland can convince Ericsson to take 1 year at around $1.5M, Jovo 1 year around $2.5-$3M and Wiz $4-$4.5M, I think the D would be great: Lids, Stuart, Kronwall, Wisniewski, Jovo, Ericsson, Kindl...Add to that whomever they hire as new Asst. Coach, the Wings should have a much better defense than last season. That's about $15M of the possible $21.5M on D, leaving enough to re-sign Miller/Eaves/Goalie & bring up Mursak. (possibly Tanguay or Jokinen as well...)

So, to the topic at hand, after reading positive and negative things about him, I think the Wings should pass on Pitkanen. Especially if he is worse defensively than Rafalski was AND would cost over $5M...

Pitkanen is an abysmal #1, but he plays much better if he's not "the guy", in my opinion. He seems to do better without the pressure and against weaker opposition. He's more of a fit on a contender than he is to try to build around.

Honestly,I don't know too much about him, alot of folks here get excited about him and alot don't. I've mentioned him before just based on stats and some of the positive stuff I have read on here, but I am reading more and more negative things and I am not liking it.... Honestly, I believe the Wings should sign Wiz, Jovo and Lids, then decide whether or not to pay Ericsson or let Kindl be our #6 guy and have someone else be #7...

I hear things negative and positive about everyone, nobody is 100% positive, there are always negatives about someone, but when the negatives start piling up and passing up the positives, then there may be a problem. The negs I hear about Wiz and Jovo are a little concerning, but I believe the positive things about them outweigh the negatives I have heard. If Holland can convince Ericsson to take 1 year at around $1.5M, Jovo 1 year around $2.5-$3M and Wiz $4-$4.5M, I think the D would be great: Lids, Stuart, Kronwall, Wisniewski, Jovo, Ericsson, Kindl...Add to that whomever they hire as new Asst. Coach, the Wings should have a much better defense than last season. That's about $15M of the possible $21.5M on D, leaving enough to re-sign Miller/Eaves/Goalie & bring up Mursak. (possibly Tanguay or Jokinen as well...)

So, to the topic at hand, after reading positive and negative things about him, I think the Wings should pass on Pitkanen. Especially if he is worse defensively than Rafalski was AND would cost over $5M...

You had me right up until you didn't. I"m going to be very disappointed if the Wings sign Tanguay or Jokinen. What better way to spend money and add absolutely no toughness or physical play up front. Remember that Sharks series? Do you realistically think that Alex Tanguay or Jussi Jokinen would have made one bit of difference in that one? I know they score (so please don't list off a bunch of numbers to me), but we scored last year, and the year before, we always have plenty of scoring up front. We don't have size, toughness, or depth in the top six. Please, please, please, sign Brooks Laich, Erik Cole, or make an offer sheet for Andrew Ladd. Anything other than another 190 lb. European forward.

You had me right up until you didn't. I"m going to be very disappointed if the Wings sign Tanguay or Jokinen. What better way to spend money and add absolutely no toughness or physical play up front. Remember that Sharks series? Do you realistically think that Alex Tanguay or Jussi Jokinen would have made one bit of difference in that one? I know they score (so please don't list off a bunch of numbers to me), but we scored last year, and the year before, we always have plenty of scoring up front. We don't have size, toughness, or depth in the top six. Please, please, please, sign Brooks Laich, Erik Cole, or make an offer sheet for Andrew Ladd. Anything other than another 190 lb. European forward.

I hear you, but if you have been a Wings fan for any amount of time, you know then that Holland doesn't sign players with toughness and physical play up front. Hopefully he addresses that on the D with JOvo and or Wizzer, but (and I begged and begged for Ladd last off season) Holland is not gonna sign that type of forward. To Holland, a top six forawrd IS a 190lb. European. I hate it, but thats how it is... Holland wants scoring from his top 6 and even though he is not a Euro, Tanguay and/or Jokinen would provide that...SOFT, yes, but history dictates that we just aren't gonna see Laich, Cole or Ladd.... Of course that would be Crow I would gladly and happily eat if Holland did sign someone of that nature! But by all means, Holland, PLEASE prove me otherwise! PLEASE!!!!

Guest blueadams

Please, just stop "talking".

Did someone put a gun to your head and force you to click my thread...to read through my thread...and to respond to my thread?

No.

STFU.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Did someone put a gun to your head and force you to click my thread...to read through my thread...and to respond to my thread?

No.

STFU.

No... but at the rate you create "New threads" (really just the same crap recycled in hopes of a more positive response), it's sorta hard to ignore.

Guest blueadams

No... but at the rate you create "New threads" (really just the same crap recycled in hopes of a more positive response), it's sorta hard to ignore.

There's one on the front page right now...alongside 20 others that you could read. I don't like listening to you complain. So, please, just click one of the other 20 threads to bless with your opinion.

Guest CaliWingsNut

No.

STFU.

Did someone put a gun to your head and force you to read my post...? and respond to my post?

No.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I hear you, but if you have been a Wings fan for any amount of time, you know then that Holland doesn't sign players with toughness and physical play up front. Hopefully he addresses that on the D with JOvo and or Wizzer, but (and I begged and begged for Ladd last off season) Holland is not gonna sign that type of forward. To Holland, a top six forawrd IS a 190lb. European. I hate it, but thats how it is... Holland wants scoring from his top 6 and even though he is not a Euro, Tanguay and/or Jokinen would provide that...SOFT, yes, but history dictates that we just aren't gonna see Laich, Cole or Ladd.... Of course that would be Crow I would gladly and happily eat if Holland did sign someone of that nature! But by all means, Holland, PLEASE prove me otherwise! PLEASE!!!!

Uhhh, Bert? The guy's built like a mac truck and while he's not "Old Bert" he still throws his weight around a bit. Canadian boy.

Cleary? Only 6'0, but 210 lbs of bulk in that 6'0, another Canadian boy who throws his weight around.

Abdelkader? 6'2, 215, throws his weight around. Michigan kid, that's pretty much south Ontario amirite?

Franzen.. okay, big, not gritty. Swede. Plays like a big Swede.

Anyhow, wingers are where Holland DOES add his size, often via FA. On the other hand, our centers are tiny. And our D are shrimps, too.. most are either small or not gritty by any stretch of the imagination. But if there is any one place I do expect Holland to add size via FA (whether it's aggressive size like Bert, or passive size like Hossa), it's on the wing.

There's one on the front page right now...alongside 20 others that you could read. I don't like listening to you complain. So, please, just click one of the other 20 threads to bless with your opinion.

Best advice ever ... ignore 'blueadams' threads, and coming from blueadams.

Why you haven't been banished, I don't understand.

I wish I could disagree with anything you've said here, but sadly, you're probably right. I do still think Wiz or Bieksa are the best options on the back end. But Laich or Ladd are mostly just wishful thinking. I'm still knocking on wood until mid july though.

Uhhh, Bert? The guy's built like a mac truck and while he's not "Old Bert" he still throws his weight around a bit. Canadian boy.

Cleary? Only 6'0, but 210 lbs of bulk in that 6'0, another Canadian boy who throws his weight around.

Abdelkader? 6'2, 215, throws his weight around. Michigan kid, that's pretty much south Ontario amirite?

Franzen.. okay, big, not gritty. Swede. Plays like a big Swede.

Anyhow, wingers are where Holland DOES add his size, often via FA. On the other hand, our centers are tiny. And our D are shrimps, too.. most are either small or not gritty by any stretch of the imagination. But if there is any one place I do expect Holland to add size via FA (whether it's aggressive size like Bert, or passive size like Hossa), it's on the wing.

However, you bring up a good point with Bert and Hossa. We drafted Franzen and Abdelkader though. And Cleary was sort of a reclaimation thing, nobody knew he'd turn out like he did. But still, very valid point.