• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

New arena news?

Rate this topic

Some of the upgrades needed to the Joe seem like they should have been done years ago, which makes me think that the Ilitches are just completely uninterested in any further investment there. Were they waiting for the city of Detroit to pay for them? We could be waiting until the end of time for that.

And I'm talking about simple upgrades like new seats, lighting on the concourse, new bathrooms, etc. I love the Joe but they have not kept it up to the standards we expect for a world-class team, not even close. They want a new arena, so I don't blame them. I just wish they would start in on it sometime this decade.

Why would The Ilitch Family spend money on a building that they lease from the City of Detroit? Would you spend your money on a new kitchen for an apartment you were renting?

The fact is, The City doesn't have the money for anything, let alone improvements to an old stadium that was built on a shoestring budget, or a brand new building for a sports team. If a new stadium is built, Ilitch is going to have to write a check for it.

If one is built, it will be in Foxtown, as they own most of the land in that area. Also, The City will want the land that The Joe is on, as well as Cobo Arena for the expansion of Cobo Hall. It's in the City's master plan already, they just need a big bundle of money to fall from the sky to pay for it.

When they do decide to do it, I hope they make a good compromise between putting the boxes where they need to be and preserving the current setup of the seats (because that part is great). Totally agree with needing a wider concourse...that's one nice thing about Honda Center; you can walk around without feeling like a sardine. Of course, it's probably partially because there are less people at their games, hyuck, but even when us Wings fans pile in, there's still enough room. Bathrooms - definitely a key issue, too. Oh, also - HANDRAILS in the upper bowl, please...I'd rather they didn't wait for the new arena to fix that one.

I must be nuts, but I didn't mind the parking that much. Maybe it's because I go through the world's biggest parking nightmare 5 days a week, so this seems tame by comparison...I don't know. What could flow a little better to me is foot traffic through the tunnel - if they do something similar to that again, I wouldn't mind if it was a little bigger (but it's still better than trying to cross the street at Ponda...sure, they have traffic direction, but do you think OC drivers care about anyone else?). Definitely don't make parking any harder than it is, though. That would be the main thing I would ask for, ease of access and good traffic flow.

Why would The Ilitch Family spend money on a building that they lease from the City of Detroit? Would you spend your money on a new kitchen for an apartment you were renting?

The fact is, The City doesn't have the money for anything, let alone improvements to an old stadium that was built on a shoestring budget, or a brand new building for a sports team. If a new stadium is built, Ilitch is going to have to write a check for it.

If one is built, it will be in Foxtown, as they own most of the land in that area. Also, The City will want the land that The Joe is on, as well as Cobo Arena for the expansion of Cobo Hall. It's in the City's master plan already, they just need a big bundle of money to fall from the sky to pay for it.

Right, the Ilitch family has more money than the city of Detroit.

THe only way a new areana behind the Fox would HELP the parking situation and not hurt it, is if they build a lot that can handle 10,000 vehicles. If you do some quick math that number is pretty much impossible to reach with the land that is available.

This scenario has a striking resemblance to the RoboCop flicks :lol:

Truth be told - BigWillieStyle is pretty much right...Dunno if the city of Detroit has extra $$$ lying around for billionaire Mike Ilitch to build a new arena for his hockey team.

If Ilitch really wants to see a new home for the Red Wings - he's gonna have to foot the bill.

I think that is, and has been, the plan all along and is probably the reason that the renovations have been let go so long... the city owns the Joe and Mr. I just leases it, why would he foot the bill into renovations of a rental when there's no plans to stay there? That would be like renovating a house you rent and not expecting the landlord to pony up some of the cash... when the time comes to build the new arena (hopefully very soon) I think Mr. I, along with corporate sponsorship, plans to pay for the whole project... the arena WILL have a corporate name, but that's a small price to pay in my mind for a far overdue mecca that the Wings deserve.

Also, to who mentioned developing a strip on the waterfront and bringing in restaurants, shops, bars and maybe a "boardwalk" so to speak, with the arena right behind it in its current location would be AMAZING, not only for the Wings, but especially for the city... of course, that would mean that Detroit would have to have the foresight, vision AND elected officials to make it happen, plus the $$, so..... it's sad too, because it could really help turn the city around...

THe only way a new areana behind the Fox would HELP the parking situation and not hurt it, is if they build a lot that can handle 10,000 vehicles. If you do some quick math that number is pretty much impossible to reach with the land that is available.

exactly... an attached lot that can handle 10,000+ vehicles... and Mr. I owns a TON of land behind the fox, it's not impossible and it would help him with parking for Comerica, Hockeytown and even Greektown to an extent, if he added a shuttle... it could (and is very feasible to) be done

Guest 13GoWings40

The one thing I ask for is to install a buffalo wild wings like they have in the palace :thumbup:

Seriously though I don't think parking is that bad at JLA, I just feel its really expensive which won't change with a new arena (especially if the build a gigantic new parking garage). I agree that the concourse as a whole is horrendous and would love to see the troughs in the men's room done away with. I love the Joe, but its time to make some new memories somewhere else.

Many of you may have seen this already, but its been updated with a video.

New Olympia Stadium Website

I really like a lot of his ideas, the only amendment I would like to see made is an attached, massive parking structure... also, he seems to have crammed the Foxtown area in too much, I'm pretty sure Mr. I owns more land back there than that and it could be spread out more, with more open area around it for the structure...

How about installing a toilet in every seat?

That way you'll never have to leave the viewing area, seats will always be full of paying customers (it'll look good on tv), and never miss any of the action on ice.....Though the smell might get to some :ph34r:

And food dispensers that hung from the rafters down to the seats!!!

I still don't get why anyone wants a new arena. When that happens ticket prices skyrocket. We have pretty decent ticket prices and there are no bad seats in the place. I wouldn't trade that for some new corporate seating and some aesthetics.

I like history.

I'd like to see it shared use between the Pistons and Wings, since:

1. Pistons will attract more downtown traffic, and that might help bolster land values in the area, attract more interest, and accelerate the rebuilding/renewal of the city. When Reinsdorf and the late Dollar Bill built the United Center next to where old chicago stadium used to sit, that neighborhood was in horrific shape. Shootings were normal, carjacking and b&e were rampant. UC is finished in 94 and the boost of traffic and security has quelled that down.

2. We have THE BEST ice crew in the LEAGUE. I don't think they'd back down from the challenge of converting board floor to ice rink. If they really wanted to look at somewhere that has decent ice between b-ball and hockey, look at the United Center.

3. A new up-to-date facility would also attract shows, that would otherwise go to the Palace in Auburn Hills and away from the City. This relates to #1. Just did a quick search, Palace has concerts almost every day the rest of the month. The Joe has...American Idol tour...then nothing until August.

I'd like to see it shared use between the Pistons and Wings, since:

1. Pistons will attract more downtown traffic, and that might help bolster land values in the area, attract more interest, and accelerate the rebuilding/renewal of the city. When Reinsdorf and the late Dollar Bill built the United Center next to where old chicago stadium used to sit, that neighborhood was in horrific shape. Shootings were normal, carjacking and b&e were rampant. UC is finished in 94 and the boost of traffic and security has quelled that down.

Bill Davidson did his homework when he chose where to build The Palace. It is within 20 minutes of where 80% of season ticket holders and luxo-box owners live, a big convienence for the base of the teams support. By moving The Pistons downtown they would probably lose a good number of those clients. Detroit is not Chicago, and a comparison between what worked there and what may work here isn't really possible.

2. We have THE BEST ice crew in the LEAGUE. I don't think they'd back down from the challenge of converting board floor to ice rink. If they really wanted to look at somewhere that has decent ice between b-ball and hockey, look at the United Center.

Somewhat subjective, wouldn't you say? Many would say that Edmonton has the best ice in the league. But, no, I don't think Al and his crew would back down from doing their job, and getting paid for it.

3. A new up-to-date facility would also attract shows, that would otherwise go to the Palace in Auburn Hills and away from the City. This relates to #1. Just did a quick search, Palace has concerts almost every day the rest of the month. The Joe has...American Idol tour...then nothing until August.

I agree with your first sentence, but much of that also has to do with the job that PSE (Palace Sports and Entertainment) does at promoting shows and their relations with Live Nation Entertainment, the largest concert promoter in the U.S. Also, I think you have confused The Palace with PSE, which also promotes, The DTE Energy Amphitheater, and Meadow Brook Amphitheater. The Palace has less than 20 events scheduled into November, but DTE, last years #1 amphitheater for ticket sales, has a show almost every night of the summer.

Bill Davidson did his homework when he chose where to build The Palace. It is within 20 minutes of where 80% of season ticket holders and luxo-box owners live, a big convienence for the base of the teams support. By moving The Pistons downtown they would probably lose a good number of those clients. Detroit is not Chicago, and a comparison between what worked there and what may work here isn't really possible.

Somewhat subjective, wouldn't you say? Many would say that Edmonton has the best ice in the league. But, no, I don't think Al and his crew would back down from doing their job, and getting paid for it.

I agree with your first sentence, but much of that also has to do with the job that PSE (Palace Sports and Entertainment) does at promoting shows and their relations with Live Nation Entertainment, the largest concert promoter in the U.S. Also, I think you have confused The Palace with PSE, which also promotes, The DTE Energy Amphitheater, and Meadow Brook Amphitheater. The Palace has less than 20 events scheduled into November, but DTE, last years #1 amphitheater for ticket sales, has a show almost every night of the summer.

Great post on all points!

Also, with the current sale of the Pistons, there's ZERO chance of them moving downtown, as it simply makes zero sense from a business perspective, considering that the new owner OWNS the Palace, whereas, he'd have to lease the Wings home - that's a cut and dry decision there alone.