• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

We've got one of the only arenas in the league not named after some corporate sponsor, which I find to be pretty cool. Hopefully we keep it that way, if a new building is put up.

that wont happen, the temptation of money is just 2 great. Especially with the city refusing to help out, as far as money, its most successful sports franchise, and one of the few things in the public eye that people see as positive about the city. Ide like for it to not be a corporate name, but im sure it will be....just as sponsor logos will eventually find their way onto nhl jerseys, which sickens me.

#22 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

that wont happen, the temptation of money is just 2 great. Especially with the city refusing to help out, as far as money, its most successful sports franchise, and one of the few things in the public eye that people see as positive about the city. Ide like for it to not be a corporate name, but im sure it will be....just as sponsor logos will eventually find their way onto nhl jerseys, which sickens me.

At which point I will quit buying NHL jerseys. I think ads on every square inch of the boards are enough.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

For the love of God, more bathrooms, especially women's restrooms. Once we get a lot more of those, the stands won't look as empty as they look. Bigger concourse too, that'll help intermission traffic obviously.

How about installing a toilet in every seat?

That way you'll never have to leave the viewing area, seats will always be full of paying customers (it'll look good on tv), and never miss any of the action on ice.....Though the smell might get to some :ph34r:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'd love to see that area expanded as a sports mecca if they could make the parking work, especially considering the city of Detroit really needs a new arena for the Red Wings. The Wings are the most dominant of the major 4 sports teams in Detroit and a new arena could provide a small spark to an upswing of the city of Detroit.

I really hope they don't try to plug it in behind the Fox. Between the freeways, Comerica, Ford Field, Fox and Filmore, Grand Circus Park, two churches, and other existing businesses and parking lots...add an arena and parking structure there and there's no going to be any room for anythin else.

JLA is only like a mile and a half from Foxtown. Less to MGM, a little more to Greektown. You got the people mover, it's right on the river. It's actually a great location. It just needs some improvements, mostly in walkways immediately out of the arena.

The river walk behind Cobo could probably be renovated to put a couple bars/restaurants there, or even build a boardwalk on the river. Could probably add something around Hart Plaza, then you're at the Ren Cen. Add some good way to get from JLA to 3rd across the Lodge, then fill in the ground floor street fronts with restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. for the artery streets between the major points (MGM, Foxtown/Arenas, JLA/Cobo, RenCen, Greektown), add a decent shuttle service plus the people mover...you got yourself a nice, vital, city center that people from the suburbs actually want to visit.

Easier said than done I guess. But my dream would be moving the Pistons back to Cobo, and renovating (or rebuilding) that and the Joe.

#25 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

I don't mind the Joe being around for a few more years, I'm not ready to say goodbye.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

Prime location to Ilitch might be near Comerica and Ford Field. We don't need to have that much crammed into one area. I don't think there is enough room around there. And if it does happen parking will be even worse than at the Joe if we run into multiple games happening on the same day/time.

Easy solution: new parking garage. :hehe:

Posted Image

#27 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

Some of the upgrades needed to the Joe seem like they should have been done years ago, which makes me think that the Ilitches are just completely uninterested in any further investment there. Were they waiting for the city of Detroit to pay for them? We could be waiting until the end of time for that.

And I'm talking about simple upgrades like new seats, lighting on the concourse, new bathrooms, etc. I love the Joe but they have not kept it up to the standards we expect for a world-class team, not even close. They want a new arena, so I don't blame them. I just wish they would start in on it sometime this decade.

#28 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

Some of the upgrades needed to the Joe seem like they should have been done years ago, which makes me think that the Ilitches are just completely uninterested in any further investment there. Were they waiting for the city of Detroit to pay for them? We could be waiting until the end of time for that.

And I'm talking about simple upgrades like new seats, lighting on the concourse, new bathrooms, etc. I love the Joe but they have not kept it up to the standards we expect for a world-class team, not even close. They want a new arena, so I don't blame them. I just wish they would start in on it sometime this decade.

Why would The Ilitch Family spend money on a building that they lease from the City of Detroit? Would you spend your money on a new kitchen for an apartment you were renting?

The fact is, The City doesn't have the money for anything, let alone improvements to an old stadium that was built on a shoestring budget, or a brand new building for a sports team. If a new stadium is built, Ilitch is going to have to write a check for it.

If one is built, it will be in Foxtown, as they own most of the land in that area. Also, The City will want the land that The Joe is on, as well as Cobo Arena for the expansion of Cobo Hall. It's in the City's master plan already, they just need a big bundle of money to fall from the sky to pay for it.

#29 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

When they do decide to do it, I hope they make a good compromise between putting the boxes where they need to be and preserving the current setup of the seats (because that part is great). Totally agree with needing a wider concourse...that's one nice thing about Honda Center; you can walk around without feeling like a sardine. Of course, it's probably partially because there are less people at their games, hyuck, but even when us Wings fans pile in, there's still enough room. Bathrooms - definitely a key issue, too. Oh, also - HANDRAILS in the upper bowl, please...I'd rather they didn't wait for the new arena to fix that one.

I must be nuts, but I didn't mind the parking that much. Maybe it's because I go through the world's biggest parking nightmare 5 days a week, so this seems tame by comparison...I don't know. What could flow a little better to me is foot traffic through the tunnel - if they do something similar to that again, I wouldn't mind if it was a little bigger (but it's still better than trying to cross the street at Ponda...sure, they have traffic direction, but do you think OC drivers care about anyone else?). Definitely don't make parking any harder than it is, though. That would be the main thing I would ask for, ease of access and good traffic flow.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#30 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Why would The Ilitch Family spend money on a building that they lease from the City of Detroit? Would you spend your money on a new kitchen for an apartment you were renting?

The fact is, The City doesn't have the money for anything, let alone improvements to an old stadium that was built on a shoestring budget, or a brand new building for a sports team. If a new stadium is built, Ilitch is going to have to write a check for it.

If one is built, it will be in Foxtown, as they own most of the land in that area. Also, The City will want the land that The Joe is on, as well as Cobo Arena for the expansion of Cobo Hall. It's in the City's master plan already, they just need a big bundle of money to fall from the sky to pay for it.

Right, the Ilitch family has more money than the city of Detroit.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#31 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

Right, the Ilitch family has more money than the city of Detroit.

This scenario has a striking resemblance to the RoboCop flicks :lol:

Truth be told - BigWillieStyle is pretty much right...Dunno if the city of Detroit has extra $$$ lying around for billionaire Mike Ilitch to build a new arena for his hockey team.

If Ilitch really wants to see a new home for the Red Wings - he's gonna have to foot the bill.

Edited by F.Michael, 07 June 2011 - 07:37 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#32 hockey&beer

hockey&beer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

THe only way a new areana behind the Fox would HELP the parking situation and not hurt it, is if they build a lot that can handle 10,000 vehicles. If you do some quick math that number is pretty much impossible to reach with the land that is available.
"Matt Moulson... he would get more air time if he was Matt Labatt." Ken Daniels

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

This scenario has a striking resemblance to the RoboCop flicks :lol:

Truth be told - BigWillieStyle is pretty much right...Dunno if the city of Detroit has extra $$$ lying around for billionaire Mike Ilitch to build a new arena for his hockey team.

If Ilitch really wants to see a new home for the Red Wings - he's gonna have to foot the bill.

I think that is, and has been, the plan all along and is probably the reason that the renovations have been let go so long... the city owns the Joe and Mr. I just leases it, why would he foot the bill into renovations of a rental when there's no plans to stay there? That would be like renovating a house you rent and not expecting the landlord to pony up some of the cash... when the time comes to build the new arena (hopefully very soon) I think Mr. I, along with corporate sponsorship, plans to pay for the whole project... the arena WILL have a corporate name, but that's a small price to pay in my mind for a far overdue mecca that the Wings deserve.

Also, to who mentioned developing a strip on the waterfront and bringing in restaurants, shops, bars and maybe a "boardwalk" so to speak, with the arena right behind it in its current location would be AMAZING, not only for the Wings, but especially for the city... of course, that would mean that Detroit would have to have the foresight, vision AND elected officials to make it happen, plus the $$, so..... it's sad too, because it could really help turn the city around...

THe only way a new areana behind the Fox would HELP the parking situation and not hurt it, is if they build a lot that can handle 10,000 vehicles. If you do some quick math that number is pretty much impossible to reach with the land that is available.

exactly... an attached lot that can handle 10,000+ vehicles... and Mr. I owns a TON of land behind the fox, it's not impossible and it would help him with parking for Comerica, Hockeytown and even Greektown to an extent, if he added a shuttle... it could (and is very feasible to) be done

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#34 schulzte

schulzte

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Many of you may have seen this already, but its been updated with a video.
New Olympia Stadium Website

#35 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

The one thing I ask for is to install a buffalo wild wings like they have in the palace :thumbup:

Seriously though I don't think parking is that bad at JLA, I just feel its really expensive which won't change with a new arena (especially if the build a gigantic new parking garage). I agree that the concourse as a whole is horrendous and would love to see the troughs in the men's room done away with. I love the Joe, but its time to make some new memories somewhere else.

#36 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Many of you may have seen this already, but its been updated with a video.
New Olympia Stadium Website

I really like a lot of his ideas, the only amendment I would like to see made is an attached, massive parking structure... also, he seems to have crammed the Foxtown area in too much, I'm pretty sure Mr. I owns more land back there than that and it could be spread out more, with more open area around it for the structure...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#37 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

How about installing a toilet in every seat?

That way you'll never have to leave the viewing area, seats will always be full of paying customers (it'll look good on tv), and never miss any of the action on ice.....Though the smell might get to some :ph34r:

And food dispensers that hung from the rafters down to the seats!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#38 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

I still don't get why anyone wants a new arena. When that happens ticket prices skyrocket. We have pretty decent ticket prices and there are no bad seats in the place. I wouldn't trade that for some new corporate seating and some aesthetics.

I like history.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#39 MrWings787

MrWings787

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

i dont care if they get a new arena as long as the new arena is along the river.

#40 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

I'd like to see it shared use between the Pistons and Wings, since:

1. Pistons will attract more downtown traffic, and that might help bolster land values in the area, attract more interest, and accelerate the rebuilding/renewal of the city. When Reinsdorf and the late Dollar Bill built the United Center next to where old chicago stadium used to sit, that neighborhood was in horrific shape. Shootings were normal, carjacking and b&e were rampant. UC is finished in 94 and the boost of traffic and security has quelled that down.

2. We have THE BEST ice crew in the LEAGUE. I don't think they'd back down from the challenge of converting board floor to ice rink. If they really wanted to look at somewhere that has decent ice between b-ball and hockey, look at the United Center.

3. A new up-to-date facility would also attract shows, that would otherwise go to the Palace in Auburn Hills and away from the City. This relates to #1. Just did a quick search, Palace has concerts almost every day the rest of the month. The Joe has...American Idol tour...then nothing until August.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska