41 replies to this topic

#41 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

I'd like to see it shared use between the Pistons and Wings, since:

1. Pistons will attract more downtown traffic, and that might help bolster land values in the area, attract more interest, and accelerate the rebuilding/renewal of the city. When Reinsdorf and the late Dollar Bill built the United Center next to where old chicago stadium used to sit, that neighborhood was in horrific shape. Shootings were normal, carjacking and b&e were rampant. UC is finished in 94 and the boost of traffic and security has quelled that down.

Bill Davidson did his homework when he chose where to build The Palace. It is within 20 minutes of where 80% of season ticket holders and luxo-box owners live, a big convienence for the base of the teams support. By moving The Pistons downtown they would probably lose a good number of those clients. Detroit is not Chicago, and a comparison between what worked there and what may work here isn't really possible.

2. We have THE BEST ice crew in the LEAGUE. I don't think they'd back down from the challenge of converting board floor to ice rink. If they really wanted to look at somewhere that has decent ice between b-ball and hockey, look at the United Center.

Somewhat subjective, wouldn't you say? Many would say that Edmonton has the best ice in the league. But, no, I don't think Al and his crew would back down from doing their job, and getting paid for it.

3. A new up-to-date facility would also attract shows, that would otherwise go to the Palace in Auburn Hills and away from the City. This relates to #1. Just did a quick search, Palace has concerts almost every day the rest of the month. The Joe has...American Idol tour...then nothing until August.

I agree with your first sentence, but much of that also has to do with the job that PSE (Palace Sports and Entertainment) does at promoting shows and their relations with Live Nation Entertainment, the largest concert promoter in the U.S. Also, I think you have confused The Palace with PSE, which also promotes, The DTE Energy Amphitheater, and Meadow Brook Amphitheater. The Palace has less than 20 events scheduled into November, but DTE, last years #1 amphitheater for ticket sales, has a show almost every night of the summer.

#42 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

Bill Davidson did his homework when he chose where to build The Palace. It is within 20 minutes of where 80% of season ticket holders and luxo-box owners live, a big convienence for the base of the teams support. By moving The Pistons downtown they would probably lose a good number of those clients. Detroit is not Chicago, and a comparison between what worked there and what may work here isn't really possible.

Somewhat subjective, wouldn't you say? Many would say that Edmonton has the best ice in the league. But, no, I don't think Al and his crew would back down from doing their job, and getting paid for it.

I agree with your first sentence, but much of that also has to do with the job that PSE (Palace Sports and Entertainment) does at promoting shows and their relations with Live Nation Entertainment, the largest concert promoter in the U.S. Also, I think you have confused The Palace with PSE, which also promotes, The DTE Energy Amphitheater, and Meadow Brook Amphitheater. The Palace has less than 20 events scheduled into November, but DTE, last years #1 amphitheater for ticket sales, has a show almost every night of the summer.

Great post on all points!

Also, with the current sale of the Pistons, there's ZERO chance of them moving downtown, as it simply makes zero sense from a business perspective, considering that the new owner OWNS the Palace, whereas, he'd have to lease the Wings home - that's a cut and dry decision there alone.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.