• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Aaron Rome

Rate this topic

The people using the word blindside in this thread are ridiculous, they should put a word in the rule called peripheral vision to help people who haven't played figure out that just because a guy comes across to hit another doesn't mean if their head is up they cant see the guy. One of the first things I was taught in hockey was to use my peripheral vision to avoid hits. When they come from the angle Cooke did, then yes that is blindside, but when the guy making the hit comes BLATANTLY form in front of a guy, if they have their head up they will see him.

Ok coach, how does Horton avoid this one? He's gliding into center ice while Lucic is lining up to receive the pass and Rome is lining up to hit him. He is moving pretty slowly and couldn't get out of the way if he tried to. Which, of course, would have required his knowing that the hit was coming. Just because Rome's final motion was to hit Horton towards center ice doesn't make this a north-south hit; he was skating east-west for a good distance directly before he threw the hit. That makes it a blindside hit. Whether Horton should have seen him is irrelevant; especially as Horton wouldn't have been able to avoid him anyway.

Ok coach, how does Horton avoid this one? He's gliding into center ice while Lucic is lining up to receive the pass and Rome is lining up to hit him. He is moving pretty slowly and couldn't get out of the way if he tried to. Which, of course, would have required his knowing that the hit was coming. Just because Rome's final motion was to hit Horton towards center ice doesn't make this a north-south hit; he was skating east-west for a good distance directly before he threw the hit. That makes it a blindside hit. Whether Horton should have seen him is irrelevant; especially as Horton wouldn't have been able to avoid him anyway.

sigh, you have no concept of hitting in hockey. Would you try to hit Lindros if he was looking at you? If horton had his head up the whole time chances are Rome doesn't step up because he knows Horton would get something up in defense. The whole entire pattern of Rome's skating would have been visible to horton if he was looking where he was about to skate. The fact that Horton could have seen him is the most relevant thing because if his head was in the proper position it wouldn't have beena blindside. So what you are saying is guys should deliberately look away or skate with their heads down to draw penalties?

I think this was pretty clearly a north south hit...nowhere even close to a blindside hit and I don't think many in the hockey world (players, coaches, analysts, etc.) are questioning that. For me, the only problem at all with the hit is that it was a little late.

I wonder what Scott Stevens would have to say about the Rome hit on Horton?

To be honest? I doubt he'd be as happy with it as people seem to think. After he knocked Lindros out he was pretty upset. Apparently he had to be consoled by his coach afterwords. Moreover, Stevens' retirement wasn't on his own terms-- he did so because of post-concussion syndrome. When a guy gets carted off the ice on a stretcher and has to stay in the hospital overnight it's pretty upsetting. Stevens' hits were kind of like Kronwall's in the sense that he'd catch people and just wreck them. But, like Kronwall, Stevens wasn't a dirty player aside from making hits that some called dirty. He wasn't a guy who tried to injure people any way he could (see: Pronger, Chris).

Today we know a lot more about concussions than we did ten years ago. Medical science continues to show how serious concussions are and how dire the long-term repercussions can be. Having a brazen attitude about causing someone else brain damage is just ignorant.

Problem is, 4 games in the SCF is unprecedented. Certainly, the hit deserved a suspension. A game or 2 ok, but the remainder of the playoffs? Has it been done before? The league looks stupid because the suspensions seem to be arbitrary. If they want to crack down, fine. They should ramp up the level of suspensions but to go from what 1 game or zero games in the last hit like this to 4.

It makes no sense. And I am NOT defending the hit or the guy. I am questioning the way the league hands down suspensions.

Rome is a schlub. There's no way this suspension would go down this hard on Chara. The NHL's shown many times that examples are only to be made with non-stars.

Life is a little bit different than a hockey game. The guys on the ice know that they can hit or be hit. You are not seriously comparing a hockey game to running over a chick on the road are you?

I am because in both cases you have to consider the health of a defenceless person. Most hockey players let up when the see the guy in front of them is defenceless. No one has a license to be reckless. Intent to injure is taken very seriously in the NHL among management AND players.

To be honest? I doubt he'd be as happy with it as people seem to think. After he knocked Lindros out he was pretty upset. Apparently he had to be consoled by his coach afterwords. Moreover, Stevens' retirement wasn't on his own terms-- he did so because of post-concussion syndrome. When a guy gets carted off the ice on a stretcher and has to stay in the hospital overnight it's pretty upsetting. Stevens' hits were kind of like Kronwall's in the sense that he'd catch people and just wreck them. But, like Kronwall, Stevens wasn't a dirty player aside from making hits that some called dirty. He wasn't a guy who tried to injure people any way he could (see: Pronger, Chris).

Today we know a lot more about concussions than we did ten years ago. Medical science continues to show how serious concussions are and how dire the long-term repercussions can be. Having a brazen attitude about causing someone else brain damage is just ignorant.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest Crymson

A large chunk of Stevens's big hits would be considered illegal today, as they would violate rule 48.

A large chunk of Stevens's big hits would be considered illegal today, as they would violate rule 48.

True. A big part of that comes from how much more we know about concussions today. The best parallel would be helmet-to-helmet hits in the NFL. At some point our standards for clean/dirty plays have to catch up with the medical reality of what concussions can do to players. If ruling out certain hits can significantly improve the quality of life of the players during and after their careers end it's the league's responsibility to take action. No one should have to suffer from memory loss or periodic headaches/nausea for the rest of their life. The impact on a person's quality of life is so much larger for brain injuries compared to muscle or skeletal injuries.

Eh? I guess I need to rewatch the video. I thought it was a head shot.

You really should. It takes a couple views to really get what's happening. To the folks still claiming this was a blindside hit, you need to pause your way thru the :52 mark of the video back in post #7. Rome nearly comes to a stop before jumping into Horton. Pause thru the video and see. At the moment of impact, the only part of Rome not directly in front of Horton is the right leg that he used to plant himself (you can see the ice spray from that plant near the end of the video if you want to). Even at the moment of impact, Horton is still admiring his pass, but the angle of body contact is nearly face-to-face. You can also see that Horton's accelerating stride (with his left leg, as he presumably heads to the net) actually angles his body toward the hit.

True. A big part of that comes from how much more we know about concussions today. The best parallel would be helmet-to-helmet hits in the NFL. At some point our standards for clean/dirty plays have to catch up with the medical reality of what concussions can do to players. If ruling out certain hits can significantly improve the quality of life of the players during and after their careers end it's the league's responsibility to take action. No one should have to suffer from memory loss or periodic headaches/nausea for the rest of their life. The impact on a person's quality of life is so much larger for brain injuries compared to muscle or skeletal injuries.

they also get paid millions, play a game they love, and have the ability to avoid hits if they wanted to see: lidstrom.

Perfectly stated.

I honestly don't think they would. First off a lot of people think all of Steven's hits were like his highlight reel. But those were by far the most devastating. A handful of them would be. Kariya, Kozlov, Lindros.

But the great proportion of them were from the front, arms tucked in, skates on the ice and while there may have been contact to the head, it was not the principal point. Typically they were crushing a guy in the chest.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I think part of the reason they made such a stand on this is because they missed suspending burrows. They miss that and he goes out and pots 2 goals including the ot winner. I think they are definitely trying to compensate for that. But I do think they suspension length is worthy.

i dont know why somebody "negatived" you on this. your exact point has been talked about on sports shows ever since the hit. though i wouldn't say it was in response to burrows scoring 2 goals afterwards, i think they would have come down on anybody hard regardless of what he did.

You two seriously need to learn how to play hockey. I get that you like watching huge hits, but that's not a good hit. That's an illegal hit, and an unsafe hit. Even if Horton has his head up and looking forward, he's just looped around the neutral zone and he's barely moving at that point, so Rome still wastes him.

Agree with everything until you get to the last part. I think if his head is looking forward he doesn't get wasted. For how late the hit is he would definitely be able to get out of the way of it or at least most of it.

He jumped into the hit. That's TEXTBOOK charging.

I have a hard time agreeing that it's so obviously a charge. I think that the hit was just so hard that he is launched in the air, much like Kronwall's hits. But I'm not sold either way, it's really tough to make a concrete decision on that part of the hit.

A late hit that lead to a devastating injury. "An eye for and eye" type of suspension. I'm perfectly fine with it.

The hit wasn't dirty, it was just late, and you can't have that.

Completely agree!

i dont know why somebody "negatived" you on this. your exact point has been talked about on sports shows ever since the hit. though i wouldn't say it was in response to burrows scoring 2 goals afterwards, i think they would have come down on anybody hard regardless of what he did.

Ya I wasn't really sure why i got negg'd either. But the only reason i added the burrows stuff in is because he made such an impact on the game that they really wouldn't want that to happen again. But you're probably right, if burrows didn't have an impact on the game this suspension would probably still happen as it is.

sigh, you have no concept of hitting in hockey. Would you try to hit Lindros if he was looking at you? If horton had his head up the whole time chances are Rome doesn't step up because he knows Horton would get something up in defense. The whole entire pattern of Rome's skating would have been visible to horton if he was looking where he was about to skate. The fact that Horton could have seen him is the most relevant thing because if his head was in the proper position it wouldn't have beena blindside. So what you are saying is guys should deliberately look away or skate with their heads down to draw penalties?

Horton was looking where he was passing while Rome was setting up his hit. Horton might have had time to get his arms or stick up (shaft, not blade) but he still would have taken by far the worst of it, as Rome was putting a full bodycheck into him and he had just taken a stride towards the offensive zone. Rome gets, at worst, knocked down by Horton trying to fight off the check. Which is more than a worthwhile trade for the Canucks; third-pairing defenseman for top-line forward on an offensive rush? Make that trade every day.

It's a rough game, keep your head up.

Hudler had no reason to expect Brown was going to hit him on that play, and Brown's hit was a cheap shot to the head that came significantly late. Brown is racing back to follow the play, and although he is on a line past Hudler, he alters course to throw an east-west head shot at Hudler even though the puck left the area before Brown got there, meaning he had absolutely no reason to throw a hit like that other than to try and injure one of the Wings' top players. Maybe he hit him high because he's so much taller. You know, Pronger Physics.

I think this was pretty clearly a north south hit...nowhere even close to a blindside hit and I don't think many in the hockey world (players, coaches, analysts, etc.) are questioning that. For me, the only problem at all with the hit is that it was a little late.

Rome skated along the blue line while Horton went through the middle. Rome planted in front of Horton as he got to the line, and jumped into him, shoulder-to-head. While the actual contact may have been north-south, that's not a north-south hit because Rome was coming from the side and Horton couldn't have seen him until the last second unless he was looking to his right.

why would your example be a mike brown hit on jiri hudler?

:unsure:

I think that hit on Hudler was much more dirty than the one on Horton. New rules today allow for cleaner hits to result in a suspension whenever the NHL feels like it (depending on the victim, and the resulting injury).

The game is faster, the players are bigger, the equipment is more dangerous, and the rules are becoming softer.