#101 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcfRk5fehes

It's a rough game, keep your head up.

I wonder what Scott Stevens would have to say about the Rome hit on Horton?

why would your example be a mike brown hit on jiri hudler?

:unsure:
Posted Image

#102 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

You two seriously need to learn how to play hockey. I get that you like watching huge hits, but that's not a good hit. That's an illegal hit, and an unsafe hit. Even if Horton has his head up and looking forward, he's just looped around the neutral zone and he's barely moving at that point, so Rome still wastes him.

Agree with everything until you get to the last part. I think if his head is looking forward he doesn't get wasted. For how late the hit is he would definitely be able to get out of the way of it or at least most of it.

He jumped into the hit. That's TEXTBOOK charging.

I have a hard time agreeing that it's so obviously a charge. I think that the hit was just so hard that he is launched in the air, much like Kronwall's hits. But I'm not sold either way, it's really tough to make a concrete decision on that part of the hit.

A late hit that lead to a devastating injury. "An eye for and eye" type of suspension. I'm perfectly fine with it.

The hit wasn't dirty, it was just late, and you can't have that.

Completely agree!

i dont know why somebody "negatived" you on this. your exact point has been talked about on sports shows ever since the hit. though i wouldn't say it was in response to burrows scoring 2 goals afterwards, i think they would have come down on anybody hard regardless of what he did.

Ya I wasn't really sure why i got negg'd either. But the only reason i added the burrows stuff in is because he made such an impact on the game that they really wouldn't want that to happen again. But you're probably right, if burrows didn't have an impact on the game this suspension would probably still happen as it is.

#103 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

sigh, you have no concept of hitting in hockey. Would you try to hit Lindros if he was looking at you? If horton had his head up the whole time chances are Rome doesn't step up because he knows Horton would get something up in defense. The whole entire pattern of Rome's skating would have been visible to horton if he was looking where he was about to skate. The fact that Horton could have seen him is the most relevant thing because if his head was in the proper position it wouldn't have beena blindside. So what you are saying is guys should deliberately look away or skate with their heads down to draw penalties?

Horton was looking where he was passing while Rome was setting up his hit. Horton might have had time to get his arms or stick up (shaft, not blade) but he still would have taken by far the worst of it, as Rome was putting a full bodycheck into him and he had just taken a stride towards the offensive zone. Rome gets, at worst, knocked down by Horton trying to fight off the check. Which is more than a worthwhile trade for the Canucks; third-pairing defenseman for top-line forward on an offensive rush? Make that trade every day.

Hudler had no reason to expect Brown was going to hit him on that play, and Brown's hit was a cheap shot to the head that came significantly late. Brown is racing back to follow the play, and although he is on a line past Hudler, he alters course to throw an east-west head shot at Hudler even though the puck left the area before Brown got there, meaning he had absolutely no reason to throw a hit like that other than to try and injure one of the Wings' top players. Maybe he hit him high because he's so much taller. You know, Pronger Physics.

I think this was pretty clearly a north south hit...nowhere even close to a blindside hit and I don't think many in the hockey world (players, coaches, analysts, etc.) are questioning that. For me, the only problem at all with the hit is that it was a little late.

Rome skated along the blue line while Horton went through the middle. Rome planted in front of Horton as he got to the line, and jumped into him, shoulder-to-head. While the actual contact may have been north-south, that's not a north-south hit because Rome was coming from the side and Horton couldn't have seen him until the last second unless he was looking to his right.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#104 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Horton saw the dmen back before he even crossed the red line. He knew they were there, he just didn't track where they were as the play developed.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#105 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

why would your example be a mike brown hit on jiri hudler?

:unsure:

I think that hit on Hudler was much more dirty than the one on Horton. New rules today allow for cleaner hits to result in a suspension whenever the NHL feels like it (depending on the victim, and the resulting injury).

The game is faster, the players are bigger, the equipment is more dangerous, and the rules are becoming softer.

#106 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

I think that hit on Hudler was much more dirty than the one on Horton. New rules today allow for cleaner hits to result in a suspension whenever the NHL feels like it (depending on the victim, and the resulting injury).

The game is faster, the players are bigger, the equipment is more dangerous, and the rules are becoming softer.

Agree with this 100%. The shoulder pads some of the players wear now days should be on a linebacker in football.
IPB Image

#107 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

yeah, that is a dangerous combination. i have heard talk in the past of reducing the size of equipment. with shanahan now calling some shots, i bet he'll actually do something about that, since his pro shoulder pads were the same he used in the juniors. and hopefully he'll bring more consistency to the rules, though why burrows was not suspended completely baffles me.
Posted Image

#108 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

I wonder what Scott Stevens would have to say about the Rome hit on Horton?

What do you mean keep your head up? Hudler's head was up, he was preparing to join the rush and score a goal. We don't need hits like this. How can you see a guy bleeding all over the ice from a blind sided hit like that and say, "Keep your head up?"

What do you people want? If players were constantly looking around for guys head hunting we'd never see any goals. May as well just leave the puck at center ice and let the guys skate around turning their head in every direction so they don't bump into each other.

Anyways, originally I came here to say, if the Canucks lose this series, me thinks Rome better get out of Vancouver asap.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#109 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

Completely agree!

You shouldn't say that out loud about my posts ;). I have four LGW buttbuddies that are negging all my posts and anyone who quotes my posts and say they agree. You've been warned :)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#110 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

I said this last night.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind and I'm confident in what I saw. Roam plants hit back leg and lunges forward, late, at Horton's head and neck area. He wasn't just skating along, he coiled a bit. I'm still saying this year and I'll amend my 40 games next year to 20, but this hit, TO ME, was particularly bad.

To me this was not nearly as bad of a check as some would have it. Forget the breakdown of "he was on his 3rd stride" crap. Charging? Charging is what Raffi Torres or Jordin Tootoo do on every shift. Charging is what Dallas Drake did to Lebda a few years ago when he was still on the Blues.

This hit was Rome's shoulder (with elbow tucked in) smack into the middle of Horton's chest, just above the "B" crest. No targeting of the head. The only reason the aftermath looks terrible is that his skates come out from under him and he hits the ice with all of his weight on the back of his own head. Thats why the curtains fell and the lights went out for him. He wasnt out prior to hitting the ice.

This is the Cup Finals. Anyone who doesnt see that the game is called differently from the regular season needs to go and watch a regular game right after tonite's game. There is a massive difference. Every time that the puck is in the defensive zone on a defender's stick - and they pass it up and out of the zone there is ALWAYS a fore-checker that hits him well after the puck is gone. In the finals a hit on a D after the puck is gone (and the camera pans away to follow the puck) is called "FINISHING YOUR CHECK" even when it is well after a second later. If that is not interference then this should not be either. No one is clamoring for suspensions or penalties there because its against the boards and no one got hurt.

You cant claim that this was a "late hit" if you dont examine all of the "finishing his checks" that happen every playoff game. They should be viewed one and the same - regardless of whether someone got hurt. Personally I love the physicality and finishing checks. Some times people get hurt when they dont have their head up. But if the league wants consistency then late hits are late hits - whether open ice, boards, injury etc.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001