#1 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

LINK:

http://www.hockeyfig...ng-team-159147/

Not really a huge issue but its a little slow around here and I figure we could use another enforcer thread as opposed to a line thread.

Anyways, Wings currently have a HUGE lead,almost 85% of the current votes, for the worst enforcing team in the league against Nashville, Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Carolina..

I am gonna say the number is slightly thrown off by the overwhelming Wings hatred that is found on Hockeyfights.com, but is it true? I know the Wings dont have any real "enforcers" but I don't think that they are the worst enforcing team in the league just because they have the least overall fights.. I mean it's not very often you would see this team get pushed around this year..

Anyways.. guess the only real questions are.. do you think it's true? And if it is, is it a huge concern going forward?

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#2 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

LINK:

http://www.hockeyfig...ng-team-159147/

Not really a huge issue but its a little slow around here and I figure we could use another enforcer thread as opposed to a line thread.

Anyways, Wings currently have a HUGE lead,almost 85% of the current votes, for the worst enforcing team in the league against Nashville, Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Carolina..

I am gonna say the number is slightly thrown off by the overwhelming Wings hatred that is found on Hockeyfights.com, but is it true? I know the Wings dont have any real "enforcers" but I don't think that they are the worst enforcing team in the league just because they have the least overall fights.. I mean it's not very often you would see this team get pushed around this year..

Anyways.. guess the only real questions are.. do you think it's true? And if it is, is it a huge concern going forward?

It is true.

It's not a huge concern if the players don't mind. With that said, the players would play 'tougher' with an enforcer to have their back, and I think that would increase the Wings' chances of winning (not that they can't without one). That's why I'm all for McCormick or Konopka.

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

It is true.

It's not a huge concern if the players don't mind. With that said, the players would play 'tougher' with an enforcer to have their back, and I think that would increase the Wings' chances of winning (not that they can't without one). That's why I'm all for McCormick or Konopka.

If Ericsson wants to say, he can start to fight more. He's actually pretty good at it.

I'd be willing to overlook his faults if he'd play confidently and with an edge.

Edited by Crymson, 07 June 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#4 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

If Ericsson wants to say, he can start to fight more. He's actually pretty good at it.

I'd be willing to overlook his faults if he'd play confidently and with an edge.

Regular fighting isn't really part of the Wings philosophy.

Given that, is Ericsson's relatively limited fighting just a lack of willingness for him, or perhaps instructions to keep it down? I swear I remember him being more of a hothead in GR than he ever has been here, and that's generally not a switch that's flipped on/off without good reason. Is it simply possible that the Wings org doesn't really want a lot of fighting?

Remember, for good or ill the PP is our enforcer.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#5 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

100 percent true, Ericcson is good but never fights and Abdelkader is learning. Other than that the guys have noone. Bertuzzi had 2 fights in one game in like 3 seasons here.

Mccormick or Konopka in place of Miller sounds good to me

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Regular fighting isn't really part of the Wings philosophy.

Given that, is Ericsson's relatively limited fighting just a lack of willingness for him, or perhaps instructions to keep it down? I swear I remember him being more of a hothead in GR than he ever has been here, and that's generally not a switch that's flipped on/off without good reason. Is it simply possible that the Wings org doesn't really want a lot of fighting?

Remember, for good or ill the PP is our enforcer.

Well if the San Jose series proved anything, it IS that we are the worst enforcing team :ph34r: :hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

We have deserved to win that award every time except for the 07-08 season (Downey, Drake, Mac) when we won the award (by 2 votes) because we won the cup and people were pissed.

Nothing wrong with the votes this time round. I voted for Detroit.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#8 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, it is true and it isn't a big deal. I don't really think the Wings need to waste money on an enforcer who will bring nothing to the team other than fighting but that is just me since the Wings aren't the same team as they used to be 10-20 years ago.

#9 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, it is true and it isn't a big deal. I don't really think the Wings need to waste money on an enforcer who will bring nothing to the team other than fighting but that is just me since the Wings aren't the same team as they used to be 10-20 years ago.

What about McCormick or Konopka? They play almost as well as Miller, and can fight.

The Wings didn't waste money in 08 when they have Downey, McCarty, and Drake (to a lesser extent).

#10 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

What about McCormick or Konopka? They play almost as well as Miller, and can fight.

The Wings didn't waste money in 08 when they have Downey, McCarty, and Drake (to a lesser extent).

Honestly I have never seen either so I can't say but not that it means much by looking at the stats I would McCormick might be ok but Konopka would be useless.

#11 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Honestly I have never seen either so I can't say but not that it means much by looking at the stats I would McCormick might be ok but Konopka would be useless.

Konopka is great with faceoffs and he's defensively sound. An energy guy who's willing to fight and to hit.

McCormick can play any forward position, but his numbers are a little skewed as his last year was his healthiest.
He is a right handed shot, but it's not like he's going to be on the powerplay. So...
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

I think he's generally less confident in the NHL.

#13 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

<putting needle on broken record>

"You don't want one of your d-men in the box for 5 minutes, it puts unnecessary minutes of PK time on your other defensemen." Paraphrasing Babcock.

Edit: After reading through the comments on hockeyfights , I can now see where the Mensa members go for some deep discussion.

Edited by BigWillieStyle, 08 June 2011 - 05:09 AM.

#14 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Worst Enforcing Team, but most Stanley Cups.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#15 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Fighting in hockey is yucky :bad:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#16 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

Worst Enforcing Team, but most Stanley Cups.

How many of the recent cups have come without an enforcer on the team? I'll save you the time- the answer is zero.

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

The Wings were hated on fight sites even when they carried Downey and May. Of course, they're going to be hated now when our best fighter is Ericsson of all people.

I would like to see some toughness on the 4th line, since we hardly have any irreplaceable 4th liners anyway. I'm sure the fans at the JLA wouldn't mind it either.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

How many of the recent cups have come without an enforcer on the team? I'll save you the time- the answer is zero.

How many games did Downey play in the 2008 playoffs? Same answer as yours.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#19 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

That isn't the discussion. In fact, the award mentioned in the OP is a regular season award.

How many games did DMac play during the playoffs in his cup-winning seasons(outside of 08)? In 08 Drake played, and DMac played during the earlier cups.

No one here is suggesting the Wings carry someone with as much skill as Downey. We want someone better, and there are better players available. Even if the player only played during the regular season, it would still be an upgrade especially if the player can be within 5 points of Miller (which Konopka and McCormick can) and add a dimension the Wings lack.

EDIT- The original point still holds. The Wings haven't won a cup recently without a rostered enforcer.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 07 June 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

Doesn't the regular season count?

Besides, McCarty played in the playoffs.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.