• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GSBrooks13

10/11 Hockeyfights.com awards voting...

Rate this topic

LINK:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f47/2010-11-worst-enforcing-team-159147/

Not really a huge issue but its a little slow around here and I figure we could use another enforcer thread as opposed to a line thread.

Anyways, Wings currently have a HUGE lead,almost 85% of the current votes, for the worst enforcing team in the league against Nashville, Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Carolina..

I am gonna say the number is slightly thrown off by the overwhelming Wings hatred that is found on Hockeyfights.com, but is it true? I know the Wings dont have any real "enforcers" but I don't think that they are the worst enforcing team in the league just because they have the least overall fights.. I mean it's not very often you would see this team get pushed around this year..

Anyways.. guess the only real questions are.. do you think it's true? And if it is, is it a huge concern going forward?

LINK:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f47/2010-11-worst-enforcing-team-159147/

Not really a huge issue but its a little slow around here and I figure we could use another enforcer thread as opposed to a line thread.

Anyways, Wings currently have a HUGE lead,almost 85% of the current votes, for the worst enforcing team in the league against Nashville, Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Carolina..

I am gonna say the number is slightly thrown off by the overwhelming Wings hatred that is found on Hockeyfights.com, but is it true? I know the Wings dont have any real "enforcers" but I don't think that they are the worst enforcing team in the league just because they have the least overall fights.. I mean it's not very often you would see this team get pushed around this year..

Anyways.. guess the only real questions are.. do you think it's true? And if it is, is it a huge concern going forward?

It is true.

It's not a huge concern if the players don't mind. With that said, the players would play 'tougher' with an enforcer to have their back, and I think that would increase the Wings' chances of winning (not that they can't without one). That's why I'm all for McCormick or Konopka.

Guest Crymson

It is true.

It's not a huge concern if the players don't mind. With that said, the players would play 'tougher' with an enforcer to have their back, and I think that would increase the Wings' chances of winning (not that they can't without one). That's why I'm all for McCormick or Konopka.

If Ericsson wants to say, he can start to fight more. He's actually pretty good at it.

I'd be willing to overlook his faults if he'd play confidently and with an edge.

Edited by Crymson

If Ericsson wants to say, he can start to fight more. He's actually pretty good at it.

I'd be willing to overlook his faults if he'd play confidently and with an edge.

Regular fighting isn't really part of the Wings philosophy.

Given that, is Ericsson's relatively limited fighting just a lack of willingness for him, or perhaps instructions to keep it down? I swear I remember him being more of a hothead in GR than he ever has been here, and that's generally not a switch that's flipped on/off without good reason. Is it simply possible that the Wings org doesn't really want a lot of fighting?

Remember, for good or ill the PP is our enforcer.

100 percent true, Ericcson is good but never fights and Abdelkader is learning. Other than that the guys have noone. Bertuzzi had 2 fights in one game in like 3 seasons here.

Mccormick or Konopka in place of Miller sounds good to me

Regular fighting isn't really part of the Wings philosophy.

Given that, is Ericsson's relatively limited fighting just a lack of willingness for him, or perhaps instructions to keep it down? I swear I remember him being more of a hothead in GR than he ever has been here, and that's generally not a switch that's flipped on/off without good reason. Is it simply possible that the Wings org doesn't really want a lot of fighting?

Remember, for good or ill the PP is our enforcer.

Well if the San Jose series proved anything, it IS that we are the worst enforcing team :ph34r::hehe:

We have deserved to win that award every time except for the 07-08 season (Downey, Drake, Mac) when we won the award (by 2 votes) because we won the cup and people were pissed.

Nothing wrong with the votes this time round. I voted for Detroit.

Yeah, it is true and it isn't a big deal. I don't really think the Wings need to waste money on an enforcer who will bring nothing to the team other than fighting but that is just me since the Wings aren't the same team as they used to be 10-20 years ago.

Yeah, it is true and it isn't a big deal. I don't really think the Wings need to waste money on an enforcer who will bring nothing to the team other than fighting but that is just me since the Wings aren't the same team as they used to be 10-20 years ago.

What about McCormick or Konopka? They play almost as well as Miller, and can fight.

The Wings didn't waste money in 08 when they have Downey, McCarty, and Drake (to a lesser extent).

What about McCormick or Konopka? They play almost as well as Miller, and can fight.

The Wings didn't waste money in 08 when they have Downey, McCarty, and Drake (to a lesser extent).

Honestly I have never seen either so I can't say but not that it means much by looking at the stats I would McCormick might be ok but Konopka would be useless.

Honestly I have never seen either so I can't say but not that it means much by looking at the stats I would McCormick might be ok but Konopka would be useless.

Konopka is great with faceoffs and he's defensively sound. An energy guy who's willing to fight and to hit.

McCormick can play any forward position, but his numbers are a little skewed as his last year was his healthiest.

He is a right handed shot, but it's not like he's going to be on the powerplay. So...

Guest Crymson

I think he's generally less confident in the NHL.

<putting needle on broken record>

"You don't want one of your d-men in the box for 5 minutes, it puts unnecessary minutes of PK time on your other defensemen." Paraphrasing Babcock.

Edit: After reading through the comments on hockeyfights , I can now see where the Mensa members go for some deep discussion.

Edited by BigWillieStyle

The Wings were hated on fight sites even when they carried Downey and May. Of course, they're going to be hated now when our best fighter is Ericsson of all people.

I would like to see some toughness on the 4th line, since we hardly have any irreplaceable 4th liners anyway. I'm sure the fans at the JLA wouldn't mind it either.

How many games did Downey play in the 2008 playoffs? Same answer as yours.

That isn't the discussion. In fact, the award mentioned in the OP is a regular season award.

How many games did DMac play during the playoffs in his cup-winning seasons(outside of 08)? In 08 Drake played, and DMac played during the earlier cups.

No one here is suggesting the Wings carry someone with as much skill as Downey. We want someone better, and there are better players available. Even if the player only played during the regular season, it would still be an upgrade especially if the player can be within 5 points of Miller (which Konopka and McCormick can) and add a dimension the Wings lack.

EDIT- The original point still holds. The Wings haven't won a cup recently without a rostered enforcer.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

I'll never understand you folk that don't get the idea that the Wings could use a guy who'll drop the gloves with some regularity during the season. One guy taking a penalty here and there while giving the opposing team something to think about when it comes to taking liberties with our players certainly isn't going to cost us in the win column. AND HELL, I'm not even talking about a guy that JUST fights.

Hell, I'll even throw this little nugget out there for you to ponder over.

Seguin is healthy scratched last night in favor of Thorton. Sure, he might not be on the scorers sheet in the way of points... but I tell you what... his presence was felt and it certainly helped spark some team-mates and get some opposing players off their game.

I'll never understand you folk that don't get the idea that the Wings could use a guy who'll drop the gloves with some regularity during the season. One guy taking a penalty here and there while giving the opposing team something to think about when it comes to taking liberties with our players certainly isn't going to cost us in the win column. AND HELL, I'm not even talking about a guy that JUST fights.

Hell, I'll even throw this little nugget out there for you to ponder over.

Seguin is healthy scratched last night in favor of Thorton. Sure, he might not be on the scorers sheet in the way of points... but I tell you what... his presence was felt and it certainly helped spark some team-mates and get some opposing players off their game.

I think a lot of it is because some of the posters on here only watch the Wings. While this is fine, I don't see how someone can make a valid argument for or against an enforcer if they don't watch the other 29 teams in the league outside of their games with the Wings.

Anyone else disappointed with D.J. King? In the first couple years coming out of the lockout, he was arguably one of the better scrappers in the NHL. He looked like a shell of his former self this past season. I doubt Washington keeps him around.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Anyone else disappointed with D.J. King? In the first couple years coming out of the lockout, he was arguably one of the better scrappers in the NHL. He looked like a shell of his former self this past season. I doubt Washington keeps him around.

Freak injuries have ruined his career.

This guy was well on his way to being top dog in the NHL.

How many of the recent cups have come without an enforcer on the team? I'll save you the time- the answer is zero.

To continue in this vain:

How many of the recent cups (in the last ten years) have come without Hasek on the team? Zero

How many cups have the Wings won when they have had a GF-GA differential under +50? Zero

How many cups have the Wings won recently without McCarty on the team? Zero

How many cups have the Wings won recently without Maltby on the team? Zero

How many cups have the Wings won since Pronger moved to the eastern conference? Zero

How many cups have the Wings won since the Coyotes started to play good hockey consistently? Zero

How many cups have the wings won recently when they have not played exactly 6 games in the first round? Zero

Not to teach anyone here any science, but theres an old saying: "Correlation does not imply causation"

Edited by Shaman464