• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

That's another reason for "no to Hartnell". 4.2 in a forward when we need to make some serious D moves? No thanks. If we can shore up our D and then get a forward in the 1.5-3m range, I'd take a good look at that. Fair to say Jokinen and Upshall might fall in there? Maybe escalate the range to 3-3.5 for Ryder or Jokinen, but I think it may be feasible to attain one or the other around or just above 3.

Yeah which is why Laich won't work here either. If I had my choice, i'd take Upshall, though. I'd prioritize on solidifying our defense before looking at forwards. Shut down defenseman for less than a mil, and a replacement for Rafalski (Bieksa, etc.).
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#42 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Yeah which is why Laich won't work here either. If I had my choice, i'd take Upshall, though. I'd prioritize on solidifying our defense before looking at forwards. Shut down defenseman for less than a mil, and a replacement for Rafalski (Bieksa, etc.).

Yep. And while I would like us to see us get bigger/grittier, I don't really think forward is a serious concern there, which is why I'd be equally happy with Ryder, Jokinen, or Upshall.

Our forwards with grit:

Cleary
Helm
Bert
Abdelkader
Holmstrom (in his own special way)
Eaves

forwards with good size:

Franzen
Bert
Abdelkader
Cleary (not tall, but bulky)

Not the best in the league, but definitely not the worst either.

Our D, on the other hand, is small and soft. Lidstrom's of average height and great physical condition for his age, but not gritty by any stretch. Ericcson is tall, but not bulky at all, and not gritty at the moment. Stuart has good size and is gritty. Kronwall is small and has little grit outside his occasional train wrecks. Kindl might as well be Ericsson 2.0. Rafalski was/is tiny.

Need some bulk on the D. I'd also say at center, but we have good centers.

And our front of net is day/night.. our wingers are great at going to the net, but our D can't clear the front of our own to save their own lives. Further evidence of where we need the size/grit, imo.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#43 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

They were already in pretty bad shape, probably needing to trade someone to re-sign Leino and fill the rest of the roster.

Assuming the cap goes up $3M and they dump Leighton, they'd have about $5M to sign Bryz, Leino, 2-3 more forwards and a defenseman. Then they have Laperriere to figure out. If they LTIR him again they'd gain another $1.16M to fill his place. The league might not let them LTIR him if it's obvious he can't play again. If he's forced to retire they're stuck with his hit.

If they LTIR Lappy, move Versteeg and Carle, get Bryz for his current salary, and Leino at a pretty conservative $2.5 it would give them around $6M to fill 5-7 spots...I think they have to move someone else. Maybe they move Bobrovsky and/or Shelly to save a few bucks. Maybe dump Mesz instead of Carle.

They struck gold with one Fin Wing, maybe they'd be interested in another...Flip, 1st, Kindl, + maybe another pick for Carter? Probably not, but Kenny should at least be making a call.

I'd be down to make that trade for Carter. He has Size, shoots Right, Center and is a big improvement on Flip. That being said, they may take Abby in this trade over flip due to greater cap relief if we sweeten the pot with a 2nd next year. Not to mention we just sign Wiz, and Pitkanen/Ehrhoff/Bieksa and our d is solid. Next year I'd love to go after Brent Burns as a UFA.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#44 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

I'd be down to make that trade for Carter. He has Size, shoots Right, Center and is a big improvement on Flip. That being said, they may take Abby in this trade over flip due to greater cap relief if we sweeten the pot with a 2nd next year. Not to mention we just sign Wiz, and Pitkanen/Ehrhoff/Bieksa and our d is solid. Next year I'd love to go after Brent Burns as a UFA.

Don't see why they'd trade Carter if they just locked him up to a huge, long deal. And on the subject of that, it has an NMC that kicks in after FA iirc. Do you want a 10/11/however the hell long it was deal on an NMC if it's a guy we've never seen on this team? No thanks.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

#45 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Don't see why they'd trade Carter if they just locked him up to a huge, long deal. And on the subject of that, it has an NMC that kicks in after FA iirc. Do you want a 10/11/however the hell long it was deal on an NMC if it's a guy we've never seen on this team? No thanks.

Carter doesnt have a NMC.....

#46 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

If this causes Philly to make some moves, I think that there are a few players we could look at. Personally, I would love to have a guy like Matt Carle on the Wings.

#47 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

Carter doesnt have a NMC.....

Yes, was incorrect about that. It's a full NTC (can't trade without him waiving, can put him on waivers) until 15-16, then a limited NTC (of the 'pick x teams' variety) thereafter.

Edited by Datsyerberger, 07 June 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#48 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Not sure how defensively sound Matt Carle is. Haven't really watched him enough.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#49 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:07 PM

Not sure how defensively sound Matt Carle is. Haven't really watched him enough.

Basically similar to Rafalski, but with more size to help him win physical contests (and better legs at this point). Same weaknesses as Raffi, really: occasional doofy giveaway, coughs up puck under pressure. Plays better in puck movement battles. Like Raffi, good first pass and his timing with jumping into the play is usually solid. Hits about as often (read: almost never). However, he's pretty good about blocking shots. Around a 140/82gp average the last 3 seasons, close to double Raffi's average.

A little better rounded, more size (doesn't use it for much more than blocking shots and protecting the puck a little better), but he doesn't have the offensive creativity or explosiveness that Raffi does.

Also worth noting he stays pretty healthy. Last 3 seasons were 82 gp, 80 gp, 76 gp; 62 GP before that with SJ (some of that may have been scratched), 80gp before that (77 in NHL, 3 in AHL).

Edited by Datsyerberger, 07 June 2011 - 11:10 PM.

#50 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

rather have coburn than carle. the guy is 6-5". Would Kindl + 24th + next year 2nd do the trick? That allows them to offload about 2.4mil in cap.

#51 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

rather have coburn than carle. the guy is 6-5". Would Kindl + 24th + next year 2nd do the trick? That allows them to offload about 2.4mil in cap.

I'd rather have Coburn but so would Philly. More likely they trade Carle if they trade a d-man.

On the other hand, Carle and Pronger was a rather good pairing for them. Who knows, maybe they would trade Coburn if they got solid value for him... but he's a large, effective d-man on a good contract.

#52 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Well the Coyotes better say bye bye to the playoffs.

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

Well the Coyotes better say bye bye to the playoffs.

Tomas Vokoun? Phoenix is as good as Nashville ever was when he was there, and has a solid young roster. He should certainly be interested. Chris Mason will also probably be available via trade. Boucher, Roloson (if he doesn't retire or stay in Tampa), Leighton or Bobrovsky via another trade with Philly, Giguere, Harding, Hedberg, Theodore, Auld.

Sure, most of those guys aren't Bryzgalov. But none of them, except possibly Vokoun, carry his price tag.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#54 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

Vokoun is probably the only one even close to Bryz. Roloson had a great post season but I don't know, he might retire or stay one more year in Tampa for another shot then retire. The rest aren't even close to Bryz.

#55 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:07 AM

Tomas Vokoun? Phoenix is as good as Nashville ever was when he was there, and has a solid young roster. He should certainly be interested. Chris Mason will also probably be available via trade. Boucher, Roloson (if he doesn't retire or stay in Tampa), Leighton or Bobrovsky via another trade with Philly, Giguere, Harding, Hedberg, Theodore, Auld.

Sure, most of those guys aren't Bryzgalov. But none of them, except possibly Vokoun, carry his price tag.

The Predators of 2006-2007 were a hell of a lot better than Phoenix is now. Remember the roster with Kariya, Radulov, Dumont, Arnott, Hartnell, Sullivan, Erat, Legwand, Suter, Weber, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Timonen and (later) Forsberg? That team was leagues better than Phoenix's current roster. The Wings barely beat out that team for the division title.

Edited by Crymson, 08 June 2011 - 01:08 AM.

#56 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:14 AM

Vokoun is probably the only one even close to Bryz. Roloson had a great post season but I don't know, he might retire or stay one more year in Tampa for another shot then retire. The rest aren't even close to Bryz.

Between Yandle/Jovo/Bryz that's $11.95 in cap hit from last year. Say they keep Yandle for $5m and Jovo for $2m. That gives them $4.95m to simply stay even. Cap projected to increase by $2.8m, and that makes for $7.75m, if you assume they are trying to stay around $9m below the cap and not at an internal cap. Which means that, assuming UFAs and RFAs and re-signed or replaced for a relatively equal cost, the Coyotes could compete to sign Richards. Whitney/Richards/Doan on the first line anyone?

I'd say replacing Bryzgalov with Roloson/etc. and adding Richards is better than keeping Bryzgalov, both on and off ice.

#57 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:42 AM

The Wings would do well to go after Carle or Coburn. Both would be great additions to the team.

Both are UFAs next season (I think) and they are both guys I mentioned that I'd love to sign.

So eliminated teams can trade players? I thought you had to wait a day or two after the playoffs ended?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#58 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

The Predators of 2006-2007 were a hell of a lot better than Phoenix is now. Remember the roster with Kariya, Radulov, Dumont, Arnott, Hartnell, Sullivan, Erat, Legwand, Suter, Weber, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Timonen and (later) Forsberg? That team was leagues better than Phoenix's current roster. The Wings barely beat out that team for the division title.

It's an unfair comparison, because you are comparing a roster including a deadline acquisition of a top player who played more games for Nashville that season than the players (combined) he was acquired for. I was referring to what Phoenix's roster is expected to look like, assuming they don't sit on their hands. They have 13 players signed from their active roster, with $28m+ in cap space. Ekman-Larsson probably takes Jovanovski's roster spot if he doesn't return, and at a similar price. So that means $26.5m in cap space to sign a starting goalie, Keith Yandle (probably in the $5m range), leaving eight forwards to sign, at least four of whom would be new or returning UFAs. Let's say it's an average of $750k raise per RFA forward, four in total, cutting us down to $23.5m. Still UFA would be Vrbata, Fiddler, Belanger, Ebbett. That's two of the team's top five scorers, including the first line center. Belanger played in all situations, and Fiddler also was quite useful on the PK. Vrbata is an asset on the PP. But the team can go out and pick up a couple guys on the cheaper side like Morrison and Kopecky, and hang on to Vrbata, Fiddler and Ebbett. Leaves you the options of Bissonette and Ebbett as the spares for a fairly deep all-around roster.

For example:
Stempniak/Hanzal/Doan
Whitney/Morrison/Vrbata
Korpikoski/Kopecky/Pyatt
Boedker/Fiddler/Turris
Bissonette/Ebbett

That's pretty solid, and is close to the cap floor with a full complement of forwards and defensemen, plus a backup goalie. Now all we need is a starter. Vokoun? Heck, I estimated Morrison at around $2m... bring in Vokoun and Richards?

Whitney/Richards/Vrbata
Stempniak/Hanzal/Doan
Korpikoski/Kopecky/Pyatt
Boedker/Fiddler/Turris
Bissonette/Ebbett

#59 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

That's pretty solid, and is close to the cap floor with a full complement of forwards and defensemen, plus a backup goalie. Now all we need is a starter. Vokoun? Heck, I estimated Morrison at around $2m... bring in Vokoun and Richards?

Two things, Eva..

1. Why does Vokoun sign in Phoenix? He's been stuck on a lame market, low budget team for the past few years and he wants to win. On top of that, he can go somewhere to win AND get paid and not have to deal with the uncertainty of Phoenix.

2. Ditto for Richards. The guy wants to both make money and win, something Phoenix may not be able to provide. Additionally, this is probably going to be his last big contract, so why does he sign somewhere with such uncertainty? And then this is also a guy that wants to avoid the media, and Phoenix is going to continue being a media circus with the possible relocation crap.

Some lesser quality UFAs may sign in Phoenix, but there's no way 2 of the hottest items, both in their 30s, both wanting a big payday, both wanting to win, and both exiting teams that have lately been struggling financially/ownership wise, are going to sign with Phoenix.

#60 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

Tomas Vokoun? Phoenix is as good as Nashville ever was when he was there, and has a solid young roster. He should certainly be interested.

Really? C'mon man.

Vokoun was there when Nashville was duking it out with us for top spot in the Central with 50 wins (I think), Paul Kariya, Kimo Timonen, and Forsberg at the deadline. That Nashville team was deeper, tougher, and more skilled than any team Pheonix has ever had.