• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Rate this topic

I have a friend of mine that's somewhat on the inside who disclosed to me that a southern-based NHL franchise is in the process of preparing for a rebranding, allegedly to be announced sometime in the spring of 2012 and to be effective starting with the 2012-13 season.

The rebranding, I'm told, will incorporate not only a change in colors, but a change in the team's name and, quoting my friend, "something that's never been done in the NHL before."

Unfortunately, he didn't disclose which "southern-based" team he was referring to, nor provide any other details. But to even be able to break this here on the CCSLC (at least, I *think* I'm breaking it here; maybe someone else has posted it), even without detail, is cool for me.

So, let the speculation begin: who will it be, what new name will they use, what colors will they adopt, etc., etc.?

This was quoted from a member over at Chris Creamer's sport logo community. (Please do not blame me if you think its nonsense or not happening).Not sure how reliable this speculation actually is but if anyone wants to browse thru this thread please go ahead. http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=80699

With that being said I thought it brought up some good discussion if it is in fact true. I honestly could say I have no idea on which team it would be. Later in the thread the OP states that a team is NOT relocating so that means a current team is going to "rebrand". My best guess would be Nashville or Carolina... What's everyone else's opinions?!

Guest Crymson

Florida Panthers

Agreed.

OP: Nashville and Carolina are successful franchises who have no need whatsoever to undergo a change in name. Florida is amongst the least successful, probably only trailing Phoenix and the departed Thrashers in that regard.

The reason I don't think Florida is because next season they are supposed to bring back a newly designed home and away jersey and are also bringing back the red at home full time. With a jersey rebrand for the up-coming year it doesn't make sense to do that then a year later rebrand the whole team all together. Seems like they would just wait.

I know Nashville and Carolina are successful but just my personal speculation.

No way it's Nasville.

I'd say, IF, this is true, then it probably gonna be Florida. The only other team I would maybe say would be Atlanta...oh yeah, not a southern team anymore. The only other possible would be Dallas but I don't see that happening either. Florida is the only logical solution.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/6/6/panthers-see-red.html

That link is further proof on why I don't think it is Florida. Seems like that would be a waste of money and time to do something like this and then a year later rebrand the whole entire franchise. I guess you never know though.

Wouldn't the announcement of New Jerseys and a new direction for the program be considered part of rebranding the team?

Wouldn't the announcement of New Jerseys and a new direction for the program be considered part of rebranding the team?

Well according to the OP on CCSLC its new everything, new logo, colors, name and all. New jerseys isn't really a rebrand as to there still the "Florida Panthers" and are using there logos they currently have.

Guest CaliWingsNut

The post doesn't specify the south-east division.... What about other southern teams? Dallas?

Edited by CaliWingsNut

no way it's the hurricanes. The cane's are deeply loved in Raleigh (I would love to see them called the raleigh hurricanes, most of the rest of NC doesn't give a piss about them).

Duh you guys, it's gonna be the Pittsburgh Crosby's..... The jersey change is from White//black/Yellow Ocre to Canary Yellow/sky blue and White with a dominate yellow stripe down the back and a diving board for a logo! I swear you guys are sooooo naive!

The Pens had cool jerseys back in the early 90's and then from the early 90's to early 00's. Both jerseys were cool.

Don't know why they went away from that for this bland version of yellow. Reminds me of the St. Louis Rams similar change.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I was thinking this too. Would be very interesting to see a relocated/renamed franchise go back to their old name.

Again, never going to happen. The canes have spent 10+ finally clawing their way to some level of respectability from most fans in the league (hey, they're not florida or phx ok?) After the wildly successful all-star game and of course the cup in 06' they're not going to suddenly alienate their small but albeit very fanatical fanbase by changing the team name and logo back to what it was before they were in north carolina.

I honestly think think this is all total bunk, why would a team waste thousands if not millions on marketing a logo and a name only to "start" from scratch? Even the panthers name is deeply rooted in area they play in, representing the feral cats that once populated the area (http://www.floridapanther.org/panther_facts.html)

If this has even a hint of truth to it, only the panthers or the yotes make even a lick of sense.

I really hope its not Nashville. Nashville has become a very successful hockey team and the city has gotten used to the name and embraced it. Besides, if not for the Preds name, where would they get that claw gesture?

If this has even a hint of truth to it, only the panthers or the yotes make even a lick of sense.

Agreed, I realize that going back to the Whale is wishful thinking. Phoenix really makes sense, just due to all the bad juju behind the Coyotes name these days.

My first thought was Florida as well. The posters on that board had a pretty interesting conversation about it being Columbus being re-branded as Ohio and playing a number of games in cities like Cincinnati and Cleveland, although I'm not sure they qualify as "southern based." Too bad this is so far away, because it's pretty intriguing.