• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

I have a friend of mine that's somewhat on the inside who disclosed to me that a southern-based NHL franchise is in the process of preparing for a rebranding, allegedly to be announced sometime in the spring of 2012 and to be effective starting with the 2012-13 season.

The rebranding, I'm told, will incorporate not only a change in colors, but a change in the team's name and, quoting my friend, "something that's never been done in the NHL before."

Unfortunately, he didn't disclose which "southern-based" team he was referring to, nor provide any other details. But to even be able to break this here on the CCSLC (at least, I *think* I'm breaking it here; maybe someone else has posted it), even without detail, is cool for me.

So, let the speculation begin: who will it be, what new name will they use, what colors will they adopt, etc., etc.?

This was quoted from a member over at Chris Creamer's sport logo community. (Please do not blame me if you think its nonsense or not happening).Not sure how reliable this speculation actually is but if anyone wants to browse thru this thread please go ahead. http://boards.sports...showtopic=80699

With that being said I thought it brought up some good discussion if it is in fact true. I honestly could say I have no idea on which team it would be. Later in the thread the OP states that a team is NOT relocating so that means a current team is going to "rebrand". My best guess would be Nashville or Carolina... What's everyone else's opinions?!

Posted Image

#2 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Florida Panthers
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#3 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Florida Panthers

My first thought also.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Florida Panthers

Agreed.

OP: Nashville and Carolina are successful franchises who have no need whatsoever to undergo a change in name. Florida is amongst the least successful, probably only trailing Phoenix and the departed Thrashers in that regard.

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Predators is one of the worst team names of all time. Please change it.
Posted Image

#6 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

The reason I don't think Florida is because next season they are supposed to bring back a newly designed home and away jersey and are also bringing back the red at home full time. With a jersey rebrand for the up-coming year it doesn't make sense to do that then a year later rebrand the whole team all together. Seems like they would just wait.

I know Nashville and Carolina are successful but just my personal speculation.

Posted Image

#7 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

No way it's Nasville.

I'd say, IF, this is true, then it probably gonna be Florida. The only other team I would maybe say would be Atlanta...oh yeah, not a southern team anymore. The only other possible would be Dallas but I don't see that happening either. Florida is the only logical solution.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#8 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

http://www.icethetic...rs-see-red.html

That link is further proof on why I don't think it is Florida. Seems like that would be a waste of money and time to do something like this and then a year later rebrand the whole entire franchise. I guess you never know though.

Posted Image

#9 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/6/6/panthers-see-red.html

That link is further proof on why I don't think it is Florida. Seems like that would be a waste of money and time to do something like this and then a year later rebrand the whole entire franchise. I guess you never know though.

Wouldn't the announcement of New Jerseys and a new direction for the program be considered part of rebranding the team?
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#10 MrWings787

MrWings787

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

I hope its Florida.

What do you think their alternate name should be???

#11 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Wouldn't the announcement of New Jerseys and a new direction for the program be considered part of rebranding the team?

Well according to the OP on CCSLC its new everything, new logo, colors, name and all. New jerseys isn't really a rebrand as to there still the "Florida Panthers" and are using there logos they currently have.

Posted Image

#12 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

The post doesn't specify the south-east division.... What about other southern teams? Dallas?

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 08 June 2011 - 05:27 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#13 mad dingo

mad dingo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Coyotes. They dont play in Phoenix and there is so much bad press about them.

That is if they are still there in a few years.

#14 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

no way it's the hurricanes. The cane's are deeply loved in Raleigh (I would love to see them called the raleigh hurricanes, most of the rest of NC doesn't give a piss about them).

#15 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

Duh you guys, it's gonna be the Pittsburgh Crosby's..... The jersey change is from White//black/Yellow Ocre to Canary Yellow/sky blue and White with a dominate yellow stripe down the back and a diving board for a logo! I swear you guys are sooooo naive!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#16 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

Posted Image

New name, new colors, and something an NHL team has never done before - move from Atlanta to Winnipeg.

Glad I could help solve the mystery, boys. :cool:

Edited by Travis, 08 June 2011 - 07:04 PM.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,724 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Posted Image

Please let this happen! :thumbup:

Oh and the Florida Panthers have always had a cool logo and name. Why should they change the only good thing about their team?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,724 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

Duh you guys, it's gonna be the Pittsburgh Crosby's..... The jersey change is from White//black/Yellow Ocre to Canary Yellow/sky blue and White with a dominate yellow stripe down the back and a diving board for a logo! I swear you guys are sooooo naive!

The Pens had cool jerseys back in the early 90's and then from the early 90's to early 00's. Both jerseys were cool.

Don't know why they went away from that for this bland version of yellow. Reminds me of the St. Louis Rams similar change.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 June 2011 - 07:34 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#19 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

Posted Image

Please let this happen! :thumbup:

I was thinking this too. Would be very interesting to see a relocated/renamed franchise go back to their old name.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#20 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

I was thinking this too. Would be very interesting to see a relocated/renamed franchise go back to their old name.

Again, never going to happen. The canes have spent 10+ finally clawing their way to some level of respectability from most fans in the league (hey, they're not florida or phx ok?) After the wildly successful all-star game and of course the cup in 06' they're not going to suddenly alienate their small but albeit very fanatical fanbase by changing the team name and logo back to what it was before they were in north carolina.

I honestly think think this is all total bunk, why would a team waste thousands if not millions on marketing a logo and a name only to "start" from scratch? Even the panthers name is deeply rooted in area they play in, representing the feral cats that once populated the area (http://www.floridapa...ther_facts.html)

If this has even a hint of truth to it, only the panthers or the yotes make even a lick of sense.