• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Rate this topic

If it's going to be sponsor based, let them be the Florida Carnival Liners...That way they can still break down midway through the season and be airlifted some pop tarts and spam to munch on while waiting for the draft to start.

It'll be the Devils. Someone finally complained loudly enough about the Satanic overtones of the team name.

You heard it here first.

:P

Well, if we're talking about suggestive overtones:

Canucks? A little racist isn't it?

Blackhawks? Disrespecting the Native American are we?

Red Wings? Really? Ewwwwwww!

:hysterical:

Here are some I think they could go with...

Calgary Charred Logs- as the Flame isn't there (at least not in their players)

The Washington Ovechkins

The New Jersey Cap Devils- Dancing with the devil- at least with the devils cap.

The Buffalo Slugs or Maybe the re branding will be removing the slug....

The Long Island Iced Teas- as the only way you can watch them is if you had a few.

The Columbus Tressels- So they can finally win a championship, if only to have it removed thanks to tattoos and cars later...

The St Louis Avalanche and the Colorado Blues. They are basically headed that way if they keep trading their players...

The Gerber Baby Penguins

The Nashville Bar-gunshot-victims, or maybe the Nashville annoying fans.

The Philly Goaltenders (Maybe the only way they ever get a goaltender...)

And the Canucks will be rebranded, the Canucks of the city that used to be Vancouver, until it was burned to the ground while celebrating our Stanley Cup victory. :ph34r:

Edited by Majsheppard

Am I the only one who thinks this is a really bad idea? I can't think of any good reason for any successful team, such as Dallas or Tampa Bay, in the region to do it.

As for the struggling teams in the South? Why take a step back when your brand is already struggling as it is? The key here is to build an identity, and that does not happen over night. Rebranding doesn't really mean squat if the organization sucks, so why waste the energy.

That said, I would love to see the Ducks change their name. It's better than Might Ducks, but that's really not saying much. Unfortunately, they have been successful with that name, so you can bet the farm that's not happening.

In reading this post, I am reminded of when this occurred in the NBA in 1997. It resulted in the Bullets being renamed the Washington Wizards, another reason I think this is a bad idea.

Edited by Redwings 1926

Well, if we're talking about suggestive overtones:

Canucks? A little racist isn't it?

Blackhawks? Disrespecting the Native American are we?

Red Wings? Really? Ewwwwwww!

:hysterical:

Canadians aren't a race, so how can Canucks be racist? It's like saying Yankees is racist, despite its being used even more loosely than Canucks is.

The Blackhawks were named after a WW1 military unit, which may have been named after a certain Midwestern tribe or chief, so maybe we can consider that one "racist by default". It's still one of the greatest names in sports. You gotta admit that.

The Redwings used to be the Cougars, but I guess someone felt a few large feral kitties in the West would take acceptation to that, similar situation with Falcons, so we settled on Redwings. LOL

The Pens had cool jerseys back in the early 90's and then from the early 90's to early 00's. Both jerseys were cool.

Don't know why they went away from that for this bland version of yellow. Reminds me of the St. Louis Rams similar change.

My favorite Penguins sweaters are the ones that simply said "Pittsburgh" down the chest, instead of that logo that serves to remind us of another one of the league's worst team names.

My first thought was Florida as well. The posters on that board had a pretty interesting conversation about it being Columbus being re-branded as Ohio and playing a number of games in cities like Cincinnati and Cleveland, although I'm not sure they qualify as "southern based." Too bad this is so far away, because it's pretty intriguing.

The Columbus Blue Jackets should become the Columbus Knights, or The Knights of Columbus. dry.gif

Canadians aren't a race, so how can Canucks be racist? It's like saying Yankees is racist, despite its being used even more loosely than Canucks is.

The Blackhawks were named after a WW1 military unit, which may have been named after a certain Midwestern tribe or chief, so maybe we can consider that one "racist by default". It's still one of the greatest names in sports. You gotta admit that.

The Redwings used to be the Cougars, but I guess someone felt a few large feral kitties in the West would take acceptation to that, similar situation with Falcons, so we settled on Redwings. LOL

Great post - as you already said, Canuck is the same as Yankee and it's more of a slang term they've embraced.... and if the team and the nation they're in, embrace it... then there's no harm, no foul

The Blackhawks is one of the only Native American depictions/names/logos in all of sports that ISN'T racist and is actually pretty honorable (and trust me, I hate admitting anything good about Chiocago)- The one main one that people SHOULD be up in arms about, is the blatantly racist Washington "Redskins", which is essentially the same as calling a team the (Insert city here) Ni**ers - It's appalling and abhorred and the fact that it is STILL used is a disgrace... The NFL should have stepped in and forced them to change it a LONG time ago... then there is the cartoon caricature in Cleveland and the racist tomahawk chop in Atlanta... so...

My favorite Penguins sweaters are the ones that simply said "Pittsburgh" down the chest, instead of that logo that serves to remind us of another one of the league's worst team names.

I just don't care for the fact that they've sullied the name of one of my favorite animals with their d-bag hockey team...

Edited by stevkrause

They will decide that "Kings" is sexist and will rename them the "Monarchs". They will have a butterfly as their logo. The colour purple will be their primary colour in their uniforms. Once pro-democracy protesters have their say against "Monarchs", they will be known as the Queens which, with the purple uniforms, will bring in a whole new crowd to the sisterhood of Puckbunnies.

I wonder if someone hit it on the head with the use of a sponsor name. I.E. The HP Pavilions or the Detroit Little Caesars. Just to illustrate the point, not obviously suggesting that either of those teams would change their names.

But we're looking for something that hasn't been done before. We've done states - Florida Panthers, New York Islanders. Cities, obviously. God help us we've done cartoon or kiddie movies (Mighty Ducks) so what's left?

Ok. So anyone that plays for the team gets branded. Now they will have to get re-branded. Will that be over the old brand? Where do they get branded....on the butt like a cow? There's nothing quite like the smell of freshly branded flesh......

I wonder if someone hit it on the head with the use of a sponsor name. I.E. The HP Pavilions or the Detroit Little Caesars. Just to illustrate the point, not obviously suggesting that either of those teams would change their names.

But we're looking for something that hasn't been done before. We've done states - Florida Panthers, New York Islanders. Cities, obviously. God help us we've done cartoon or kiddie movies (Mighty Ducks) so what's left?

Who would want to root for a team called HP Pavilions?

Marketing and branding are as big a part of professional and college sports as they ever were. That being the case, it is important for organizations and leagues to maintain some balance between the two. If the marketing aspect is taken too far, it could become detrimental to the brand. That could effect merchandise sales, and ultimately fan support.

Edited by Redwings 1926

They will decide that "Kings" is sexist and will rename them the "Monarchs". They will have a butterfly as their logo. The colour purple will be their primary colour in their uniforms. Once pro-democracy protesters have their say against "Monarchs", they will be known as the Queens which, with the purple uniforms, will bring in a whole new crowd to the sisterhood of Puckbunnies.

Funny you should mention that, because it did happen in the 50s when the Cincinnati Reds temporarily changed their name to the Redlegs so as not to be associated with Communists.

When Washington DC's high crime rate was the subject of countless headlines, the city's NBA team decided to change its name from the Bullets to the Wizards.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Marketing and branding are as big a part of professional and college sports as they ever were. That being the case, it is important for organizations and leagues to maintain some balance between the two. If the marketing aspect is taken too far, it could become detrimental to the brand. That could effect merchandise sales, and ultimately fan support.

The HP Ink Cartridges...? They dry up quickly :hehe:

I've got 2 words for you.

Red. Bull.

Red. Bull.

Meh, that's MLS. Who even watches that? :P I have to say that it was pretty clever they way they snuck it in, and unless you're paying attention, you'd never even connect the two.

I'd be worried, as a business owner who branded a team, say the Pittsburgh Anheiser-Busches, that your team turns into the Yankees, where everyone hates them, and your brand goes down the toilet. It's nice when you have a huge fanbase, and other teams fans are ambivalent about your team, but when fans of 29 other teams despise your team, that could hurt.

Red. Bull.

I knew someone was going to bring up either the Red Bulls, Mighty Ducks, or even Pistons. Red Bulls is still subtle enough to sound like yet another weird team name, like Redwings, or White Sox. It may be pushing the limit, but it's not as though they are calling them the "The New York Bank of Americas", or something else blatantly obvious and unappealing from a branding standpoint.