• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

I really hope its not Nashville. Nashville has become a very successful hockey team and the city has gotten used to the name and embraced it. Besides, if not for the Preds name, where would they get that claw gesture?

#22 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

If this has even a hint of truth to it, only the panthers or the yotes make even a lick of sense.

Agreed, I realize that going back to the Whale is wishful thinking. Phoenix really makes sense, just due to all the bad juju behind the Coyotes name these days.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#23 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

My first thought was Florida as well. The posters on that board had a pretty interesting conversation about it being Columbus being re-branded as Ohio and playing a number of games in cities like Cincinnati and Cleveland, although I'm not sure they qualify as "southern based." Too bad this is so far away, because it's pretty intriguing.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#24 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

If this is true, please be the motherf***ing Ducks. Lame name, impossible to do anything that's a really cool logo, bleh colors. That team needs rebranding bigtime.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

If this is true, please be the motherf***ing Ducks. Lame name, impossible to do anything that's a really cool logo, bleh colors. That team needs rebranding bigtime.

Posted Image

:lol:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 pazzloski

pazzloski

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Coyotes being renamed nordiques?

#27 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

Posted Image

:lol:

I think it's illegal to dig up graves, GMR.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

No way it's a reasonably successful team. That leaves only Florida and Phoenix. If it's Phoenix, it makes sense. They need to rebrand in order to try to generate some sort of interest and fresh start. Florida, while being a failure, doesn't have the repeated stench of highly public misery that Phoenix does.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

Never been done before, eh. I say Warner Bros. buys the Coyotes and they will be called the Roadrunners at home and remain the Coyotes on the road.

#30 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

I hope its Florida.

What do you think their alternate name should be???

The Florida Bottom Feeders? Logo has a Catfish on it.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#31 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

The Florida Bottom Feeders? Logo has a Catfish on it.

Eh, wrong part of Florida for that joke. You could use a type of ray, though, to fit the name and the area...

#32 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:48 AM

The new name, new colours and something thats never been done in the NHL before leads be to believe that its going to be someone who changes their name to a sponsor a la the New York RedBulls in MLS. So, the Tampa Bay RedBulls, or Miami Monsters, using the example of energy drinks (who might believe that the average hockey fan fits their marketing demographic).
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

The post doesn't specify the south-east division.... What about other southern teams? Dallas?

The Stars name has a history stretching back to the organization's Minnesota days. The team also has a Stanley Cup. The name will not be changing.

#34 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:15 AM

Still thinking and hoping its the Ducks, if there's even any merit to this. They're really the only team that's had a brutal name and utter lack of identity since they were sold.

Florida is going back to their old colors and such this next year, so don't think it's them.

Tampa Bay has a popular nickname and has already announced uniform/etc changes, so doubt its them.

Coyotes: Maybe. But there's nothing wrong with Coyotes as a name. Still, they're among my frontrunners.

Ducks: Brutal name, meh logo, meh colors, org hasn't been able to settle on colors/logo/identity since they acquired the team. Frontrunner.

Carolina: Nothing wrong with the Canes, aside from the logo looking like a flushing toilet bowl.

Preds: They've worked way too hard to build an identity to change it now

Stars: History, familiarity.. besides, don't mess with Texas

Atlanta: Well, they're definitely a southern team that's getting a huge article, but I don't think they meant like this. :ph34r:

So yea, Ducks or Yotes are the frontrunners if this has any merit to it.

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

Florida panthers and they're going to have......Ads on their jersey!!! :furious:
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#36 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:40 AM

I don't think it will be the Ducks. They've got a recent Cup and a loyal following. No need to change their name AGAIN.

Jerseys... well that's another matter. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they planed significant logo/colour/jersey changes for the Ducks.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#37 MaynardJKeenan

MaynardJKeenan

I'll..keep...digging...till I.. feel..something

• Gold Booster
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

I really hope its not Nashville. Nashville has become a very successful hockey team and the city has gotten used to the name and embraced it. Besides, if not for the Preds name, where would they get that claw gesture?

I've lived in Nashville for 4 months now and unless you go downtown the average person wouldn't even know they have a team here. No buzz round town nor have I met a hockey fan yet.

#38 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

I agree it probably wont be Dallas, but am I right in thinking that they still don't have an owner yet? Could be a contributing factor

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#39 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

If it is a team named after a sponsor I'm going to be PISSED!!!!

#40 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

I don't think there's any weight to this and I can't see any of those teams changing their branding without re-locating, unless SOMEHOW one of Florida or Carolina, take on a city name and completely re brand to go with it (ie. Raleigh D-Bags, Miami No-one-cares-about-hockey-down-here-why-do-we-still-play-in-this-swamp-cats)

As to who said the Coyotes - there is ZERO chance of this, as long as they're still in Phoenix, they will be the Coyotes. They got a good name, logo and marketing backbone (howling at goals, mascot, etc)... they're just in a horrible spot for hockey, so, unless we're talking relocation again, take them out of the equation.

Dallas - no way

Anaheim - no way

Tampa Bay - DEFINITELY not

any other team doesn't make sense either... this is a fun thought and would be a wild story, but I just don't see it happening...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.