• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Rate this topic

No way it's a reasonably successful team. That leaves only Florida and Phoenix. If it's Phoenix, it makes sense. They need to rebrand in order to try to generate some sort of interest and fresh start. Florida, while being a failure, doesn't have the repeated stench of highly public misery that Phoenix does.

The new name, new colours and something thats never been done in the NHL before leads be to believe that its going to be someone who changes their name to a sponsor a la the New York RedBulls in MLS. So, the Tampa Bay RedBulls, or Miami Monsters, using the example of energy drinks (who might believe that the average hockey fan fits their marketing demographic).

Guest Crymson

The post doesn't specify the south-east division.... What about other southern teams? Dallas?

The Stars name has a history stretching back to the organization's Minnesota days. The team also has a Stanley Cup. The name will not be changing.

Still thinking and hoping its the Ducks, if there's even any merit to this. They're really the only team that's had a brutal name and utter lack of identity since they were sold.

Florida is going back to their old colors and such this next year, so don't think it's them.

Tampa Bay has a popular nickname and has already announced uniform/etc changes, so doubt its them.

Coyotes: Maybe. But there's nothing wrong with Coyotes as a name. Still, they're among my frontrunners.

Ducks: Brutal name, meh logo, meh colors, org hasn't been able to settle on colors/logo/identity since they acquired the team. Frontrunner.

Carolina: Nothing wrong with the Canes, aside from the logo looking like a flushing toilet bowl.

Preds: They've worked way too hard to build an identity to change it now

Stars: History, familiarity.. besides, don't mess with Texas

Atlanta: Well, they're definitely a southern team that's getting a huge article, but I don't think they meant like this. :ph34r:

So yea, Ducks or Yotes are the frontrunners if this has any merit to it.

I don't think it will be the Ducks. They've got a recent Cup and a loyal following. No need to change their name AGAIN.

Jerseys... well that's another matter. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they planed significant logo/colour/jersey changes for the Ducks.

I really hope its not Nashville. Nashville has become a very successful hockey team and the city has gotten used to the name and embraced it. Besides, if not for the Preds name, where would they get that claw gesture?

I've lived in Nashville for 4 months now and unless you go downtown the average person wouldn't even know they have a team here. No buzz round town nor have I met a hockey fan yet.

I don't think there's any weight to this and I can't see any of those teams changing their branding without re-locating, unless SOMEHOW one of Florida or Carolina, take on a city name and completely re brand to go with it (ie. Raleigh D-Bags, Miami No-one-cares-about-hockey-down-here-why-do-we-still-play-in-this-swamp-cats)

As to who said the Coyotes - there is ZERO chance of this, as long as they're still in Phoenix, they will be the Coyotes. They got a good name, logo and marketing backbone (howling at goals, mascot, etc)... they're just in a horrible spot for hockey, so, unless we're talking relocation again, take them out of the equation.

Dallas - no way

Anaheim - no way

Tampa Bay - DEFINITELY not

any other team doesn't make sense either... this is a fun thought and would be a wild story, but I just don't see it happening...

As to who said the Coyotes - there is ZERO chance of this, as long as they're still in Phoenix, they will be the Coyotes. They got a good name, logo and marketing backbone (howling at goals, mascot, etc)... they're just in a horrible spot for hockey, so, unless we're talking relocation again, take them out of the equation.

Problem is they don't even play in Phoenix, they play in Glendale. I know if the sale went through, they would have been the Glendale Coyotes. Maybe they want something completely new.

The Coyotes name has been through the ringer the past couple years and the franchise is not respected.

Problem is they don't even play in Phoenix, they play in Glendale. I know if the sale went through, they would have been the Glendale Coyotes. Maybe they want something completely new.

The Coyotes name has been through the ringer the past couple years and the franchise is not respected.

It just seems like it would be an effort in futility, as it's about the worst kept secret that this is their last year there... they'll be in Quebec by the start of the 2012-2013 season, mark my words...

HartfordWhalers.png

Please let this happen! :thumbup:

Oh and the Florida Panthers have always had a cool logo and name. Why should they change the only good thing about their team?

Because despite being what you deem a "cool logo and name" the money is far from pouring in. Revenue sharing is Florida's best friend these days and a re-branding may create a spark that they haven't found in well over a decade.

Because despite being what you deem a "cool logo and name" the money is far from pouring in. Revenue sharing is Florida's best friend these days and a re-branding may create a spark that they haven't found in well over a decade.

It wouldn't... they need to move, hockey in Miami is about as bad of an idea as hockey in Arizona was... I can appreciate the southern expansion idea, but those were horrible ideas from day one and to be honest, Florida is probably a worse idea than Phoenix was...

I think it's either Florida or Phoenix & they're going to rebrand based on the target audience they should be going after...

How does the Florida Snow Birds sound? Or maybe the Phoenix Transplants?

Edited by ogreslayer

It wouldn't... they need to move, hockey in Miami is about as bad of an idea as hockey in Arizona was... I can appreciate the southern expansion idea, but those were horrible ideas from day one and to be honest, Florida is probably a worse idea than Phoenix was...

While I tend to agree with some of these southern teams, Tampa Bay begs to differ.

Their management has done an excellent job well before Stevie showed up at running a profitable and viable franchise. Obviously, their Florida counterparts haven't had that kind of success, but saying it can't be done is far from accurate given TB's financial success.

Besides, all I said was "create a spark" (which it very-well could), I didn't claim they'd be the next Detroit.

While I tend to agree with some of these southern teams, Tampa Bay begs to differ.

Their management has done an excellent job well before Stevie showed up at running a profitable and viable franchise. Obviously, their Florida counterparts haven't had that kind of success, but saying it can't be done is far from accurate given TB's financial success.

Besides, all I said was "create a spark" (which it very-well could), I didn't claim they'd be the next Detroit.

I was referring to Florida the market, as in the Panthers, not the state of Florida. TB is further north and has FAR more transplants than South beach does and, as you touched on, has done a tremendous job creating a viable franchise...

In regards to your second point, I think it might create a spark in the sports world, but not in the market locally, they seriously could not care less about hockey in Miami... look up the article with the TV ratings and see how many households Florida Panther games were watched in, it's down right embarrassing...

Edited by stevkrause

The reason I still don't think its either Florida or Phoenix is because with Florida putting out new jerseys it would be a waster of a years marketing and spending money on producing the new home and away's. As for the Coyotes, they are on the brink of going bankrupt they have no money as it is, and a rebrand is rather expensive. HOWEVER... if a powerful wealthy owner buys the Coyotes and keeps them in Arizona then I could see this happening; but I don't. The stars have a rich history going back to the Minnesota days and have won a cup in Dallas but if you read some of the posts on the link provided in the original post then there are some good points brought up. Could all just be a false alarm but its good food for thought.