• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 mad dingo

mad dingo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

As to who said the Coyotes - there is ZERO chance of this, as long as they're still in Phoenix, they will be the Coyotes. They got a good name, logo and marketing backbone (howling at goals, mascot, etc)... they're just in a horrible spot for hockey, so, unless we're talking relocation again, take them out of the equation.

Problem is they don't even play in Phoenix, they play in Glendale. I know if the sale went through, they would have been the Glendale Coyotes. Maybe they want something completely new.

The Coyotes name has been through the ringer the past couple years and the franchise is not respected.

#42 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

Problem is they don't even play in Phoenix, they play in Glendale. I know if the sale went through, they would have been the Glendale Coyotes. Maybe they want something completely new.

The Coyotes name has been through the ringer the past couple years and the franchise is not respected.

It just seems like it would be an effort in futility, as it's about the worst kept secret that this is their last year there... they'll be in Quebec by the start of the 2012-2013 season, mark my words...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#43 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

Tampa Bay Yzerbolts.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#44 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image

Please let this happen! :thumbup:

Oh and the Florida Panthers have always had a cool logo and name. Why should they change the only good thing about their team?

Because despite being what you deem a "cool logo and name" the money is far from pouring in. Revenue sharing is Florida's best friend these days and a re-branding may create a spark that they haven't found in well over a decade.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#45 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

Because despite being what you deem a "cool logo and name" the money is far from pouring in. Revenue sharing is Florida's best friend these days and a re-branding may create a spark that they haven't found in well over a decade.

It wouldn't... they need to move, hockey in Miami is about as bad of an idea as hockey in Arizona was... I can appreciate the southern expansion idea, but those were horrible ideas from day one and to be honest, Florida is probably a worse idea than Phoenix was...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#46 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

I think it's either Florida or Phoenix & they're going to rebrand based on the target audience they should be going after...

How does the Florida Snow Birds sound? Or maybe the Phoenix Transplants?

Edited by ogreslayer, 09 June 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#47 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

It wouldn't... they need to move, hockey in Miami is about as bad of an idea as hockey in Arizona was... I can appreciate the southern expansion idea, but those were horrible ideas from day one and to be honest, Florida is probably a worse idea than Phoenix was...

While I tend to agree with some of these southern teams, Tampa Bay begs to differ.

Their management has done an excellent job well before Stevie showed up at running a profitable and viable franchise. Obviously, their Florida counterparts haven't had that kind of success, but saying it can't be done is far from accurate given TB's financial success.

Besides, all I said was "create a spark" (which it very-well could), I didn't claim they'd be the next Detroit.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#48 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

While I tend to agree with some of these southern teams, Tampa Bay begs to differ.

Their management has done an excellent job well before Stevie showed up at running a profitable and viable franchise. Obviously, their Florida counterparts haven't had that kind of success, but saying it can't be done is far from accurate given TB's financial success.

Besides, all I said was "create a spark" (which it very-well could), I didn't claim they'd be the next Detroit.

I was referring to Florida the market, as in the Panthers, not the state of Florida. TB is further north and has FAR more transplants than South beach does and, as you touched on, has done a tremendous job creating a viable franchise...

In regards to your second point, I think it might create a spark in the sports world, but not in the market locally, they seriously could not care less about hockey in Miami... look up the article with the TV ratings and see how many households Florida Panther games were watched in, it's down right embarrassing...

Edited by stevkrause, 09 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#49 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Didnt somebody write something on this forum in the last week that the Panthers were changing their jersey colors next year?
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#50 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

The reason I still don't think its either Florida or Phoenix is because with Florida putting out new jerseys it would be a waster of a years marketing and spending money on producing the new home and away's. As for the Coyotes, they are on the brink of going bankrupt they have no money as it is, and a rebrand is rather expensive. HOWEVER... if a powerful wealthy owner buys the Coyotes and keeps them in Arizona then I could see this happening; but I don't. The stars have a rich history going back to the Minnesota days and have won a cup in Dallas but if you read some of the posts on the link provided in the original post then there are some good points brought up. Could all just be a false alarm but its good food for thought.

Posted Image

#51 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

This was quoted from a member over at Chris Creamer's sport logo community. (Please do not blame me if you think its nonsense or not happening).Not sure how reliable this speculation actually is but if anyone wants to browse thru this thread please go ahead. http://boards.sports...showtopic=80699

With that being said I thought it brought up some good discussion if it is in fact true. I honestly could say I have no idea on which team it would be. Later in the thread the OP states that a team is NOT relocating so that means a current team is going to "rebrand". My best guess would be Nashville or Carolina... What's everyone else's opinions?!

Southern teams:

Tampa - obviously they have won a Cup and they are improving
Carolina - I can't see a team with their name on the Cup changing their name
Washington - they have a big fan base
Atlanta - already in the process
Nashville - could be but they are relatively sucessful
Florida - Could be

My guess is Florida
Do or do not. There is no try

#52 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

I was referring to Florida the market, as in the Panthers, not the state of Florida. TB is further north and has FAR more transplants than South beach does and, as you touched on, has done a tremendous job creating a viable franchise...

In regards to your second point, I think it might create a spark in the sports world, but not in the market locally, they seriously could not care less about hockey in Miami... look up the article with the TV ratings and see how many households Florida Panther games were watched in, it's down right embarrassing...

I'm not arguing that the hockey market in Miami isn't embarrassing....in fact, I was the one that initially inferred it in this thread. What I'm saying is that while the market isn't great, the team had pulled some decent attendance numbers during the 90's.

This isn't a matter of Miami not caring about hockey, because a little more than a decade ago their attendance numbers weren't how they've been since. Is it really so hard believe that a complete re-branding may create a short-term spark? If you can't see that based on the Panther's attendance numbers in the past then this debate isn't worth continuing.

#53 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

Southern teams:

Tampa - obviously they have won a Cup and they are improving
Carolina - I can't see a team with their name on the Cup changing their name
Washington - they have a big fan base
Atlanta - already in the process
Nashville - could be but they are relatively sucessful
Florida - Could be

My guess is Florida

Many of us think of the South as being the teams you mentioned, but if you look at the league as a whole there are more teams... Dallas, Anaheim, Los Angeles. No way L.A., Dalas possible chance with new ownership on the way and a lack of a strong identity since the edge jerseys made there way into the leaguem and Anaheim is a mess so a slight chance there.

Posted Image

#54 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

The Ducks are a better model than Tampa Bay. Both have won a Cup but until recently TB has struggled with attendance, poor management and bad owners. The Ducks have had a far more consistent record of profitability, attendance and on-ice success.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#55 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

The Ducks are a better model than Tampa Bay. Both have won a Cup but until recently TB has struggled with attendance, poor management and bad owners. The Ducks have had a far more consistent record of profitability, attendance and on-ice success.

Wrong.

The TBL had a good run of success from the early 00s until the lockout, and have picked up again this last season. Lets say 4-5 years.

The Ducks had an amazing run with Giggy pre lockout. Aside from that, 3 years or so post lockout. Again, let's say 4-5 years.

TBL's average attendance has been much higher during the 00s.

TBL's ticket prices have been higher during the 00s.

TBL's profits have been higher during the 00s.

ANA has had better ownership/management since the lockout. Until now.

Aside from that, TBL has had a fairly solid identity since their inception, whereas the Ducks are using a fragment of the name of a team used from a Disney film; said name fragment has led to constant tweaking of the colors and logo because it's an extremely uninspiring and unfit name for a major sports team.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#56 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Yet they've consistently been a profitable franchise....which is the one and only claim I made. While the brass in charge of the on-ice product since the lockout (dis-including this year) has been poor, the management in charge of running the business side of things has done a very good job considering the aforementioned.

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,601 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'm taking this to mean a franchise with a solid business footing in place and one that has no intention of moving in the near future. If that is true, it eliminates some teams quickly.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#58 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Wrong.

The TBL had a good run of success from the early 00s until the lockout, and have picked up again this last season. Lets say 4-5 years.

The Ducks had an amazing run with Giggy pre lockout. Aside from that, 3 years or so post lockout. Again, let's say 4-5 years.

TBL's average attendance has been much higher during the 00s.

TBL's ticket prices have been higher during the 00s.

TBL's profits have been higher during the 00s.

ANA has had better ownership/management since the lockout. Until now.

Aside from that, TBL has had a fairly solid identity since their inception, whereas the Ducks are using a fragment of the name of a team used from a Disney film; said name fragment has led to constant tweaking of the colors and logo because it's an extremely uninspiring and unfit name for a major sports team.

Just because I don't support talking out of one's ass:

Average attendances

Pre lockout (starting 00-01)

TBL: 16,248
ANA: 13,169

Post lockout

TBL: 18,057
ANA: 15,874

Total:

TBL: 17,328
ANA: 14,973

The Ducks only finished ahead of the Bolts once in this entire stretch, 2 years after their cup win (08-09), when TBL was in their 4th season of abysmal management. TBL finished 21, Ducks 17th.

In fact, here's the record of those 10 years by attendance rank (starting with 00-01, descending to 10-11):

TBL--ANA

25th--28th
20th--30th
16th--26th
12th*--24th
2nd---24th
3rd---20th*
8th---15th+
21st--17th
21st--24th
18th--26th

*=cup year, +=post-cup year (TBL's post cup year was during the lockout)

Speak with knowledge, my friends.

Edited by Datsyerberger, 09 June 2011 - 02:19 PM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#59 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

Posted Image

Please let this happen! :thumbup:

Oh and the Florida Panthers have always had a cool logo and name. Why should they change the only good thing about their team?

:blink:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#60 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

I'm not arguing that the hockey market in Miami isn't embarrassing....in fact, I was the one that initially inferred it in this thread. What I'm saying is that while the market isn't great, the team had pulled some decent attendance numbers during the 90's.

This isn't a matter of Miami not caring about hockey, because a little more than a decade ago their attendance numbers weren't how they've been since. Is it really so hard believe that a complete re-branding may create a short-term spark? If you can't see that based on the Panther's attendance numbers in the past then this debate isn't worth continuing.

It was over 1.5 decades ago by this point... they haven't cared about that team down there since the early to mid 90's...

It's not hard to believe that it MIGHT generate a glimmer of a spark, but just like clicking two rocks together in the middle of a downpour may generate a spark, that spark is short lived and you'll never start a fire... it'd be a sideshow if anything...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here