#101 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

I've got 2 words for you.

Red. Bull.

I knew someone was going to bring up either the Red Bulls, Mighty Ducks, or even Pistons. Red Bulls is still subtle enough to sound like yet another weird team name, like Redwings, or White Sox. It may be pushing the limit, but it's not as though they are calling them the "The New York Bank of Americas", or something else blatantly obvious and unappealing from a branding standpoint.

#102 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

Meh, that's MLS. Who even watches that? :P I have to say that it was pretty clever they way they snuck it in, and unless you're paying attention, you'd never even connect the two.

I'd be worried, as a business owner who branded a team, say the Pittsburgh Anheiser-Busches, that your team turns into the Yankees, where everyone hates them, and your brand goes down the toilet. It's nice when you have a huge fanbase, and other teams fans are ambivalent about your team, but when fans of 29 other teams despise your team, that could hurt.

You don't know much about Red Bulls marketing strategy then. They have renamed 3 proffesional football teams (in the MLS, Germany and Austria) as well as the current Austrian ice hockey champions. And of course there is the F1 team which has dominated the sport for the past 2 years. If it is them, whoever they rebrand will find themselves with a huge financial injection, and RB really don't give a damn about what other people think of them - in fact they revel in it.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#103 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

So if Red Bull gives you Wings, what do Red Wings give you?

The need to take a shower immediately with lots of facewash.

(Too much?)

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#104 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

So if Red Bull gives you Wings, what do Red Wings give you?

an unexplainable itch? :ph34r:

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#105 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

I have seen a few about Dallas re-branding. If re-branding means changing everything, what about the Texas Lone Stars (or Lonestars)??

#106 sandyeggo wingnut

sandyeggo wingnut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

I have seen a few about Dallas re-branding. If re-branding means changing everything, what about the Texas Lone Stars (or Lonestars)??

I'm already getting my Spaceballs jokes ready :D

#107 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Has there been anyone with more solid proof of this potentially occurring? or is this thread still surviving on the humor/speculation?

Just curious since it started as an unsubstantiated rumor, it's been a few, and I haven't noticed any further stories/reports etc to support it.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#108 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

I'm already getting my Spaceballs jokes ready :D

They'll wear dark helmets with their raspberry uniforms.

#109 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Seems just like a rumor to me

#110 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Has there been anyone with more solid proof of this potentially occurring? or is this thread still surviving on the humor/speculation?

Just curious since it started as an unsubstantiated rumor, it's been a few, and I haven't noticed any further stories/reports etc to support it.

Well over on CCSL they are 15 pages deep speculating on this. If you click the link below you might be able to find something through out all the pages over there. Still in the early stages here no official word as far as I am aware but its still quite some time away also! Anyways here is the link if you're interested.

http://boards.sports...showtopic=80699

Posted Image