• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Thoughts on Sami Salo?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

He's big (6-3, 212...though not all that physical), solid defensively, moves the puck well, has a monster right-handed shot from the point, seems to be the odd man out of the Bieksa-Ehrhoff-Salo equation in VAN, made a reasonable 3.5mil last season, and at 36 years of age, might be willing to sign a short one or two year contract that doesn't tie us up long term. Durability seems to be the main concern.

I know how you all hate lines...but I like the looks of this

Lidstrom-Salo

Kronwall-Stuart

Smith/Ericsson-Kindl

Janik

He's big (6-3, 212...though not all that physical), solid defensively, moves the puck well, has a monster right-handed shot from the point, seems to be the odd man out of the Bieksa-Ehrhoff-Salo equation in VAN, made a reasonable 3.5mil last season, and at 36 years of age, might be willing to sign a short one or two year contract that doesn't tie us up long term. Durability seems to be the main concern.

Lidstrom-Salo

Kronwall-Stuart

Smith/Ericsson-Kindl

Janik

Vanilla. I can't get excited about Salo. Some call him Softo Salo becuase he is injured so often. Yes he's got a helluvalotta upside, but he just doesn't bring it often enough.

Man you get negged everytime you post something! (it wasnt me!)

What do I think about Salo.....well, after finding out that Tim Thomas played for the Detroit Vipers, I looked at their all-time roster and Sami Salo played for them too! So I think....I think that is pretty cool. But I don't think too much else about him. But it's just because I don't know too much about him....besides the fact that he is left handed and we need a right hander...

I like it. If signed on the cheap, he presents huge upside with an accepted risk that you might have him for all of 10 games. I also like one year contracts and that is all he would get.

Guest blueadams

Man you get negged everytime you post something! (it wasnt me!)

oh no! my internet popularity is at an all-time low!

No thanks. Too injury prone, not physical, turnover prone when under pressure.

please, feel free to introduce your own, flawless suggestions.

Edited by blueadams

For instance - I would take Salo over Jovanovski, who gets mentioned a lot around here, and he would probably come well cheaper than Jovo.

Edited by egroen

I like Salo. I know he's injury prone, and I forgot he's already 36, so signing him might not be a great idea unless you plan on Smith getting in 30 or so games. I'd also like to see Bieksa and Ehrhoff here. If Lidstrom decides to retire, maybe Holland could steal all three if Vancouver doesn't sign them by 7/1...

I wouldn't mind Salo on a 1 yr deal, but only if Ericsson isn't re-signed. I want to see Kindl play full time and if that's the case then there's no way I would want to rely on one of Ericsson or Salo to be a top-4 guy.

Guest blueadams

Salo is awesome but it would seem more like a temporary fix rather than a long term solution

bridges the gap to ryan suter next off-season.

This is why the little punk gets negged all the time. He asks a question then is a prick to you when you don't agree with him.

seems like a fair proposal to me.

on this board we have, as we have in many other realms on this planet, an incredible surplus of people that love to shoot down others' ideas, and an incredible shortage of people that dare to propose their own.

on this board we have, as we have in many other realms on this planet, an incredible surplus of people that love to shoot down others' ideas, and an incredible shortage of people that dare to propose their own.

Its probably because you come up with a line/who should we pick up thread everyday, you should just list the name of every player in the NHL and we can comment on them for you. As for Salo , the guy can hurt himself wiping his ass in the morning. He once got bit by a poisonous snake in Finland that wasn't even native to the country...thats about as rare as blueadams not starting a thread in the next 24 hours.

Your OP only asked for thoughts on Salo, and DetroitFan gave you his thoughts backed up by three sound reasons, and you got mad and pissy with your repsonse.

And further more, it's not bridging a gap until Suter gets here, it's wasting money while Salo sits injured when we could be getting good production out of someone else.

Yes, it's a quandry, but Salo (or Jovo for that matter) is not the answer.

Guest Crymson

Lidstrom-Salo

Kronwall-Stuart

Smith/Ericsson-Kindl

Janik

He's horrible defensively and tends to injure himself for 20 games when he stubs his toe. And no, he's not very good at puck movement. He has a big shot, and that's it. It's easily taken away by the defense.

For $1m, sure. For more than that, no thanks.

Edited by Crymson

Guest blueadams

Your OP only asked for thoughts on Salo, and DetroitFan gave you his thoughts backed up by three sound reasons, and you got mad and pissy with your repsonse.

And further more, it's not bridging a gap until Suter gets here, it's wasting money while Salo sits injured when we could be getting good production out of someone else.

Yes, it's a quandry, but Salo (or Jovo for that matter) is not the answer.

I'd say it's implied that we're not just talking about Salo in a vacum, we're talking about him in comparision to other options. If you rip a guy apart like whoever did, I'd hope that you have a better option in mind...and I'd genuinely like to hear about it.

What are your thoughts on free-agent to be Nick Lidstrom??

"He's over the hill, lost a step, hardly ever hits anyone, and is bound to get hurt at almost 40 years old. Six plus million for that!? You've gotta be kidding me!!"

...get my point.

I'd say it's implied that we're not just talking about Salo in a vacum, we're talking about him in comparision to other options. If you rip a guy apart like whoever did, I'd hope that you have a better option in mind...and I'd genuinely like to hear about it.

What are your thoughts on free-agent to be Nick Lidstrom??

"He's over the hill, lost a step, hardly ever hits anyone, and is bound to get hurt at almost 40 years old. Six plus million for that!? You've gotta be kidding me!!"

...get my point.

Possibly, if there weren't already 1/2 a dozen threads camparing alternatives, but even then you don't have to give the guy attitude.

But there are 1/2 dozen threads already comparing all available options and combinations, and like I said, you specifically asked about people's thoughts on one player. Don't get mad at him because he answered your question correctly and it made you look stupid; get mad at yourself.

I need to just stay away from your threads because I don't agree with the way you think and your crappy replies you give to people. (Not to mention that wanting Holmstrom on the 4rth line shows you really don't get it--it's never going to be 2002 again--the 4rth line has a different job now, and he can't perform it).) I used to join in all your line threads, because i could look over lines all day long, every day. People would give you crap all the time, but I kept joning in, until you gave me a real unprovoked and uncalled for crappy reply on one of my threads. Now I just think you're a dick that really doesn't understand much about hockey at all, or people for that matter.

I want to get a guy we can pair with Lidstrom that will allow for Lidstrom to be better utilized even strength. Lidstrom, far too often, was covering up for his partners mistakes at even strength. Plus, he's not physically able to move or even finesse guys out of the crease anymore and his +/- showed that. We need a guy that will be a bruiser around the crease, won't play out of position too often and won't pinch all the time to allow Lidstrom to join the rush more often this coming season and get that customary high +/- out of him that we all love :)