• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Wings - Flyers Trade Partners?

Rate this topic

We are just over three weeks away from the start of free agency, when all of the teams that were unsuccessful in their bid to capture the Stanley Cup try to improve their team for the following season, and the team that was successful tries to keep it’s group intact.

Yesterday, the Philadelphia Flyers tried to get a head start on their summer shopping, and get a leg up on their competition. The Achilles heel of the Flyers since the 90s has been their inability to keep the puck out of their own net. This past season, they had on paper one of the best lineups in the National Hockey League. Yet, they were at home watching the playoffs far earlier than they would have liked, swept out of the second round by the Bruins. In the process, they used three different starting goaltenders in their 11 game playoff run, none with any real measure of success.

Brian Boucher is an unrestricted free agent, and will likely have to seek employment elsewhere.

Michael Leighton and Sergei Bobrovsky are still under contract for another year, but Philly GM Paul Holmgren decided he had to try to upgrade the one position of weakness on his team if they were going to be taken seriously next year.

He sent a 3rd round pick, a prospect, and future considerations to Phoenix for the negotiating rights to free-agent-to-be goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. Despite playing on a team with little-to-no star power, Bryzgalov has been able to guide them into the playoffs each of the last two seasons. He is widely regarded as one of the NHL’s top goalies, and is an enormous upgrade over either Bobrovsky or Leighton.

The problem is that Philadelphia already has almost $59M committed to next season, with only 18 players signed, and not including Bryzgalov. The reason that Phoenix had to move Bryzgalov in the first place is that he wanted to be paid like a top player in the NHL, and the cash-strapped Coyotes couldn’t afford his services any longer.

With the cap expected to go up to about $63M, the Flyers have about four million dollars with which to sign at least 2 more skaters (to get to a bare minimum of 18), and Bryzgalov, who will be commanding somewhere in the $6-7M range. Clearly, the math doesn’t add up.

What that means is the Flyers need to find a trading partner to unload some salary on.

This is where the Red Wings come in to play. With the retirement of Brian Rafalski, the Red Wings are in need of a top four defenseman. Coach Mike Babcock has also said that he would like it if management added a top 6 forward. The Wings and Flyers aren’t strangers to the trading game, as they came together to make the Ville Leino deal happen.

Any and all trade talks I’ve seen where Detroit is a team involved have included Jiri Hudler as the player being shipped out. He has a lot to like about him, and his contract. At just under $2.9M, his contract is an affordable one for just about every team in the league. He put up 57 points two years ago playing primarily on Detroit’s third line. He only put up 37 this year, but the talent is obviously still there and he played much better in the second half of the year. Finally, his contract expires on July 1st, 2012, so if a team didn’t like what they got out of him they could just cut ties then.

The Wings could address either of their needs by making a trade with the Flyers. Let’s look at their need for a top 6 forward first.

Read more: Flyers, Wings Trade Partners? http://detroitsportsnation.com/component/content/article/94-nhl-columnists/13718-flyers-wings-trade-partners#ixzz1OnU6bGwA'>http://detroitsportsnation.com/component/content/article/94-nhl-columnists/13718-flyers-wings-trade-partners#ixzz1OnU6bGwA

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Good read from Detroit Sports Nation. Here is the link with the full article with what players could be changing sides: http://detroitsportsnation.com/component/content/article/94-nhl-columnists/13718-flyers-wings-trade-partners

I personally think they are really going to push to ship out Hudler, and if he under performs still with a new club, his contract is soon expiring and will be off the books. A team looking to shed some salary I think would take him. I would love to have Jeff Carter in Detroit but I don't know if Holland would want to acquire another huge salary... Interesting read none the less. All three of the d-men they say are available don't really spark my interest, but I wouldn't be against having one come to Detroit for the right price.

Who would you say yes and no to from the Flyers players in that article?

Good read from Detroit Sports Nation. Here is the link with the full article with what players could be changing sides: http://detroitsports...-trade-partners

I personally think they are really going to push to ship out Hudler, and if he under performs still with a new club, his contract is soon expiring and will be off the books. A team looking to shed some salary I think would take him. I would love to have Jeff Carter in Detroit but I don't know if Holland would want to acquire another huge salary... Interesting read none the less. All three of the d-men they say are available don't really spark my interest, but I wouldn't be against having one come to Detroit for the right price.

Who would you say yes and no to from the Flyers players in that article?

Trade for Carter? Done. With that size, age, and kind of production on the top six, and the fact that at least half of his cap hit would be offset by the loss of Hudler's contract, I'd do it in a second. Of course, I thought it would be a good idea to go up to 4-4.5 million on a forward in addition to Hudler's contract, so I'd obviously be for it. Because of Carter's age, you could presumably pair Hudler with a young prospect (probably Tatar) and still come out even or ahead in regards to long term depth.

Mursak, a 2nd, Abdelkader for Carter? For Coburn?

I'd HATE to have to part with Mursak as I think he'll be a reliable 20-40 point guy someday, but these two Flyers are studs and we know they need cap relief in a bad way. Maybe throw in our first and possibly Marshall to land both those guys?

Mursak, a 2nd, Abdelkader for Carter? For Coburn?

I'd HATE to have to part with Mursak as I think he'll be a reliable 20-40 point guy someday, but these two Flyers are studs and we know they need cap relief in a bad way. Maybe throw in our first and possibly Marshall to land both those guys?

Count my vote! I think if we could SOME HOW land Carter and Coburn for Mursak, 2nd, Abdelkader, and even Hudler, that would be a great deal for us. I would even consider uping our 2nd round pick to a 1st, we always steal players late in the draft anyways. Carter is money and would make it worth while.

This could ruin any visions we have of Carter in a Wings uniform...

Blue Jackets: Philadelphia center is top trade target for Howson

Multiple NHL sources have told The Dispatch that the Blue Jackets and Philadelphia Flyers have discussed a trade that would send Flyers center Jeff Carter, an All-Star in 2009, to Columbus for a top-six forward and the No. 8 overall pick in this year's draft. That top-six forward, presumably, is 21-year-old Blue Jackets winger Jake Voracek, a restricted free agent.

Though it could occur sooner, it's likely such a trade wouldn't be completed until the first round of the entry draft is held on June 24 in St. Paul, Minn. But the likelihood of the deal took a sizable step forward on Tuesday, when the Flyers acquired the rights to goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov from Phoenix.

Cap relief is the biggest leverage here. The Wings could send considerably less talent over for either of those players just because of the cap relief. That's assuming the Flyers wouldn't be able to find it elsewhere.

This could ruin any visions we have of Carter in a Wings uniform...

Blue Jackets: Philadelphia center is top trade target for Howson

Ugh. <_<

That is not what I wanted to see lol. The wings and Flyers and done business several times when it comes to trading players, so with Kenny Holland and Paul Holmgren being familiar with one another maybe that will provide a little leverage? Hey shooting for the stars here...

Damn, Voracek's cap hit is only 1.2 as well. We'd have to throw a lot more than Hudler or Abdelkader their way.

True in a way... but I would like to think even though the main concern here is cap relief they don't want to just trade Carter away for nothing, or any of the defenseman. Voracek is a restricted free agent; so you know he is going to command a raise. At times he's been stellar and other times he's been a ghost. I don't think they would deal Carter for him just to lose him via free agency. They'd get nothing out of the deal. Maybe if a sign and trade could happen so they know what they would be working with? Like I stated above some GM's have preference trading with other GM's that they know well or get along with. We might have a little leverage there with Holland and Holmgren. I still think the offer Konnan made is a sweeter deal for Philly then what Columbus would offer.

Cmon now, it would cost way more then mursak, a 2nd and abdelkader. A big, right handed shot thats skates really well, its start with B smith, and more.

True. The Flyers are looking to trade Carter for a good prospect and/or high draft pick. They're NOT looking to get ripped off just to create cap space.

Jeff Carter would be GREAT, $5 mil cap hit per year, 25 years old, signed through 2018-2019, he has 40-50 goal abilities. He would be a monster addition at a relatively low price. However, Philly will explore all options before dealing him.

Actually he is 26 and signed through the 2020-2021 season.

True in a way... but I would like to think even though the main concern here is cap relief they don't want to just trade Carter away for nothing, or any of the defenseman. Voracek is a restricted free agent; so you know he is going to command a raise. At times he's been stellar and other times he's been a ghost. I don't think they would deal Carter for him just to lose him via free agency. They'd get nothing out of the deal. Maybe if a sign and trade could happen so they know what they would be working with? Like I stated above some GM's have preference trading with other GM's that they know well or get along with. We might have a little leverage there with Holland and Holmgren. I still think the offer Konnan made is a sweeter deal for Philly then what Columbus would offer.

God knows I'd want to see the deal done. If they can figure out a way of doing it, that would be a big break. It gives us the addition in the top six that Babcock wants (and we need) without breaking the bank for it. And gives us more money to work with when it comes to signing additions on the defense. Good point on the RFA aspect of Voracek, that might be a deciding factor. Rafalski's contract coming off the books this year was a huge break for us. Now this possibility. Can we really be this fortunate?

Guest Hatethedrake!

I can't see the Flyers trading away Carter. He's too good and has too much upside. If anything, Holmgren will likely deal Versteeg and maybe Carle. He may have to let Leino leave as a UFA. The Flyers have alot of forward depth. Holmgren would likely deal Hartnell before Carter. All these Carter rumours are just speculation at this point.

Yeah, I was looking at a cap calculator that only went up to 2019 and it listed his age wrong too.

Close enough! :D

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Not many players in the league that can score like him. Itd be worth it IMO to give up some prospects, roll players, picks, whatever.

I've been talking about this for days and everyone has ripped me apart.... I'd offer abby, kindl, first rounder 2011 for carter. philly gets low cap hits and good potential. We get a plug for Kindl on the 3rd pairing until Smith is ready next season. Carter is unreal. I'd take his contract on. He can score AND hes right handed center. These are hard to come by nowadays. Could make the deal bigger to contain Carle by sending back a something like flip+pick.

The only thing is I don't have a clue on what Carters no trade clause is.... As of right now it looks like there is one in his contract but may not be in effect yet

"Also included in the deal was a limited no trade clause for Carter. It’s an unusual trade clause in the sense that it allows Carter to veto up to a maximum of 10 teams to which the Flyers can not trade him. That perk for Carter kicks in at the start of the 2012-13 season and runs for three seasons. After that, it is modified for the remainder of the deal."

Philadelphia tried him at wing early in the year and he wasn't nearly as effective, his style of play lends itself to being optimally placed at center.

Ok cool, thanks for the info.

Anybody else like the looks of this?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Carter-Cleary

Bertuzzi-Filpula-Abdelkader

Eaves-Helm-Miller