• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheCaptain19

Paul MacLean named head coach of Senators

Rate this topic

Speaking of ex-Wings as assistants, what do we feel about Marc Habscheid? Gallant is the clear top choice with his experience out East, but I'm not sure I'd want Hitchcock if (I suspect) he's gone 20 games into the season to fill the next NHL head coaching vacancy.

I don't think Habs is even on the radar, he has a lot more to prove at the lower ranks and he JUST signed a contract as GM and Coach of a WHL squad, so I don't think he'd even be interviewing... I think the D coach will come down to one of Hitchcock or Boughner and I'd imagine Gallant HAS to be the front runner for the O coaching role, unless he doesn't want to be an assistant...

As for Hitch bolting into the season, that would NEVER happen, if he's here, he'd be here through the season, now, if you're worried about him bolting after one season, that's a reasonable concern...

"There's lots of qualified candidates, people who have been in the industry as assistant coaches, people who have been head coaches," general manager Ken Holland said. "Mike Babcock brings names to me. I'll sign off on whoever Mike wants on his staff."

God help us all.

That is not how a coaching staff should work. The GM should bring in the best guys that fit what the team philosophy is, and check to make sure the coach doesn't have a bad history. I don't like this one bit. Is this how we hired McCrimmon?

This made me feel worse about our situation.

This is just wrong. Babcock has a certain way he likes to coach and he's going to want guys with the same philosophies as him.

Guest CaliWingsNut

What's interesting in that quote is that Holland mentions some candidates have been head coaches. Maybe Hitch isn't such a long-shot?

I found it interesting how when tsn broke down the names in contention for the teams without coaches (when talking about Ottawa), his name wasn't mentioned.

Guest Crymson

Best of luck to Paul--he deserves a shot at being a head honcho after his great work in Detroit--though I don't envy him the task of trying to work with the horrendous roster he'll no doubt receive.

"There’s lots of qualified candidates, people who have been in the industry as assistant coaches, people who have been head coaches," general manager Ken Holland said. "Mike Babcock brings names to me. I’ll sign off on whoever Mike wants on his staff."

God help us all.

That is not how a coaching staff should work. The GM should bring in the best guys that fit what the team philosophy is, and check to make sure the coach doesn't have a bad history. I don't like this one bit. Is this how we hired McCrimmon?

I find it pretty funny that I wasn't even one of the ones that negged you (I don't get into rating wars and save my neg ratings for trolls), yet, I was at a +1 and now I'm even on that post again and you clearly negged me, just because I was one of the ones to point out how off base you were...

and to show you I'm being honest and to be a bigger man -

Before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/veinoffeeling/before_rating.jpg

After:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/veinoffeeling/after_rating.jpg

Edited by stevkrause

I find it pretty funny that I wasn't even one of the ones that negged you (I don't get into rating wars and save my neg ratings for trolls), yet, I was at a +1 and now I'm even on that post again and you clearly negged me, just because I was one of the ones to point out how off base you were...

and to show you I'm being honest and to be a bigger man -

Before:

http://img.photobuck...fore_rating.jpg

After:

http://img.photobuck...fter_rating.jpg

Don't worry, I agree'd with you and got you back.

Sorry about the redacted picture, you never know who could be reading it...

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/764/stevkrause.jpg

Don't worry, I agree'd with you and got you back.

Sorry about the redacted picture, you never know who could be reading it...

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/764/stevkrause.jpg

:hysterical:

That literally made me audibly laugh, I love that you blacked out Gordie's eyes in the process for anonymity of the innocent!

Well done good sir, well done!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by stevkrause

Sad to see MacLean go, I really like him. This is going to be one busy off season...

Agreed on both accounts. Safe to say that this offseason will be the exact opposite of last.

interesting hire by the sens, that they want to implement the wings puck possession style. however, their roster doesn't strike me as one that has to players to play that.

I think he will be exactly what they need to right the ship there, it's bittersweet to be sure, he deserved the shot, but it sucks to lose him...

"There’s lots of qualified candidates, people who have been in the industry as assistant coaches, people who have been head coaches," general manager Ken Holland said. "Mike Babcock brings names to me. I’ll sign off on whoever Mike wants on his staff."

God help us all.

The coaches have to work well together, this is why I don't believe Chelios will be here, I seem to remember him and Babcock having a little feud going....

Barry Smith is currently head coach in Switzerland, wonder if he can be coaxed back?

The coaches have to work well together, this is why I don't believe Chelios will be here, I seem to remember him and Babcock having a little feud going....

I could see Chelios and Babs working great together as coaches... in 5 years...

Chelios needs some experience before he starts coaching at the NHL level and although(with his knowledge of the game) he may be an exception to the rule, guys need to work at lower leagues as coaches first... I'd like to see him take an asst role with GR and work with Fraser for a bit... Fraser would probably be a decent choice for an NHL asst role pretty soon too, the guy is a great coach...

Guest Crymson

They did not. It was friendly banter. Chelios was, in the last few seasons he was here, a true team player. He knew that being given playing time at his age in such a great organization was a gift. He wasn't in it for personal accolades in any sense.

That said, Chelios won't be an assistant until he has experience in coaching.

I like what MacLean said about Abs, Helm, Kronwall and Ericsson. He sees even more potential out of all of them. In all honestly I know most the board doesn't like Ericsson but I really hope we sign him just not for the over paid check price...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)