• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Xitium

10, no 8 - oops - 9 Years Ago today...

Rate this topic

Arguably the greatest team ever assembled brought home Lord Stanley.

Game five summary:

First period:

Scoring: No scoring.

Penalties:

Carolina bench (too many men) 12:09.

Second period:

Scoring:

1. DETROIT HOLMSTROM (LARIONOV, CHELIOS) 4:07

2. DETROIT SHANAHAN (FEDOROV, YZERMAN) 14:04 (PPG,GWG)

3. CAROLINA O’NEILL (HILL, WESLEY) 18:50 (PPG)

Penalties:

Slegr (Det) (holding) 6:00, Svoboda (Car) (roughing) 13:34, Cole (Car) (roughing) 16:15, Shanahan (Det) (hooking) 16:53.

Third period:

Scoring:

4. DETROIT SHANAHAN (YZERMAN) 19:15 (EN)

Penalties:

Fedorov (Det) (cross-checking) 5:23, Vasicek (Car) (interference) 8:12.

Goalie statistics:

Carolina: Arturs Irbe — 24 saves / 26 shots

Detroit: Dominik Hasek — 16 saves / 17 shots

Shots by period:

Team 1 2 3 T

Carolina 5 7 1 17

Detroit 12 8 7 27

Center

19 Steve Yzerman (Captain)

8 Igor Larionov

13 Pavel Datsyuk

33 Kris Draper

91 Sergei Fedorov

29 Jason Williams

Winger

14 Brendan Shanahan (A. Capt.)

17 Brett Hull

18 Kirk Maltby

20 Luc Robitaille

21 Boyd Devereaux

25 Darren McCarty

33 Kris Draper

96 Tomas Holmstrom

Defense

2 Jiri Fischer

5 Nicklas Lidstrom (A. Capt.)

11 Mathieu Dandenault

24 Chris Chelios

27 Fredrik Olausson

28 Steve Duchesne

71 Jiri Slegr

32 Maxim Kuznetsov

4 Uwe Krupp

Goal

39 Dominik Hasek

34 Manny Legace

070101_yzerman2_vmed_9p.standard.jpg

Edited by Xitium

Really doesn't seem that long ago. But then again, the 08 Cup was four playoffs ago. I miss the days when I was younger when years took forever to go by. Awesome memories from that '02 Cup run. This Vancouver run has reminded me of it a bit, a team that stockpiled and was sort of "destined" to win the Cup the whole season.

The first thing I remember about this entire season started in the summer of 01 of course. I just got back home from a day on Lake Michigan on my boat and my cousin who I used to play hockey with left me a Message on my Phone asking if I had heard that the Wings had traded Chris Osgood and got Dominik Hasek. I knew than that the 01/02 Season was going to be special and I really have do admit I did expect a Stanley Cup that season. Of course the addistion of Lucky Luck and Hullsy along with some other top notch players just further cemented that feeling. When Detroit went down 3-2 in the West Finals to the Colorado Avalanche I started feeling sick and that lasted up until Game 7 even though Detroit won and tied up the series 3-3 by the final of 2-0. At the start of Game 7 I was not home. On the way home I stopped by my local Meijer Store and bought a CCM Detroit Red Wings Jersey that was Red and Gray colored for good luck. On the way home I kept chanting to myself Let's Go Red Wings all the way home. When I got home I got out of the car and checked the mail my mom had headed into the house and turned on the TV and all I could hear was Wooo Hooo and I ran I think the fastest I had ever ran up to that point into the house to see the Red Wings were up 4-0!!!! After seeing the Wings Win Game 7 7-0. I knew it was our year and even though the Wings dropped Game 1 of the Finals to the Canes in OT I didn't get discouraged I knew the Wings were gonna take it. Sure enough 4 games later.... WE GOT THE CUP!!!! I still have a ton of great memories from that season. It had to be in my mind the best Cup we ever won until 08 when my two favorite goalies were on the same team won the Cup. I can only imagine tha the Canucks are thinking about tonight like crazy I know they are staying focused but something like this has to stick in your head. I think I said this before but before the Cup Finals began I told one of my TeamMates that I would cheer for Vancouver becasue he was even though I HATE Canadian teams. Unfortunately I've changed my mind after the Bite, Head Shot, and the Comments I cannot Cheer for the Canucks even though I believe they will win I hope that Boston can overcome this deficit and Win the Cup in Game 7.

That was the greatest Wings team ever assembled, but it was not the greatest team ever assembled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976%E2%80%9377_Montreal_Canadiens_season

I was not a fan of hockey back then, but just doing the math, Montreal had a much more dominant season and playoffs than the Wings did. They swept 2 of their playoffs series. This Montreal team was so dominant, they still hold the record for most points in a season.

Look at that roster and you will see how they dominated.

Unfortunately, I was too young to be able to find out about the league of NHL caliber(all I was watching these days was WC and Olympics :D) , so I missed all this exciting instants. Now I watch all this videos and game records and with grief understand(not fully of course), what a great days that was. Especially I like Yzerman's performance in this postseason. Now I blame myself how the hell I could miss such a gorgeous season.

Sorry for my English, if it isn't correct.

The first thing I remember about this entire season started in the summer of 01 of course. I just got back home from a day on Lake Michigan on my boat and my cousin who I used to play hockey with left me a Message on my Phone asking if I had heard that the Wings had traded Chris Osgood and got Dominik Hasek.

:blink: The Wings traded for Hasek July 1st, 2001 but Chris Osgood wasn't traded, he was claimed off waivers by the Islanders and it wasn't until after training camp in September (not during the summer) I would say you forgot just a few details about that season :lol: (maybe a few too many barley pops on Lake Michigan!) But I enjoyed the story and the enthusiasm!

That was the greatest Wings team ever assembled, but it was not the greatest team ever assembled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976%E2%80%9377_Montreal_Canadiens_season

I was not a fan of hockey back then, but just doing the math, Montreal had a much more dominant season and playoffs than the Wings did. They swept 2 of their playoffs series. This Montreal team was so dominant, they still hold the record for most points in a season.

Look at that roster and you will see how they dominated.

Let's Compare:

1976-1977 Montreal Canadiens:

Regular Season:

60-8-12 132 pts. 387 GF 171 GA

Dryden / Larocque combined - 2.12 GAA 14 SO's

Playoffs:

12-2 54 GF 22 GA - 1.55 GAA 4 SO's

2001-2002 Detroit Red Wings:

Regular Season:

51-17-10-4 OL 116 pts. 251 GF 187 GA

Hasek / Legace combined - 2.22 GAA 5 SO's

Playoffs:

16-7 76 GF 46 GA - 1.88 GAA 6 SO's

....say what you will about those Canadiens, there were less teams in the League (18 for Canadiens 30 for Red Wings, which means less travel (especially to the West Coast)) PLUS they only had to play three rounds in the playoffs(resulting in the higher number of goals for/against for the Red Wings.) Even with the 9 more games played in the playoffs by Detroit, the GAA is only a smidge bit higher (MTL 1.55 DET 1.88.) BUT with that being said, the stats aren't that different and would LOVE to see these two teams play each other for the Stanley Cup! Me being bias (a little :lol:) I would have to factor all the travel and longer playoff grind and give the nod to the Detroit Red Wings...

Speaking of that, when you factor in all the travel and the larger amount of teams that played in the league, it really makes you appreciate the 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings and their 131 pts! Did you know that they started the season 5-5-1 and then went 57-8-6 the rest of the season? Now that was a team! Too bad they couldn't bring it all home!

Edited by LeftWinger

I remember that game like it was last week....that being said, '01 Avalanche > '02 Red Wings

Could be, but not as stacked on HOF members. Sakic, Roy, Bourgue, maybe Forsberg and Blake. That's it.

Edited by P. Marlowe