• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stormboy

Raymond out 3-4 months

Rate this topic

Yahoo! story

(not sure if this deserved its own thread or not--mods, feel free to merge into SCF thread)

Raymond out 3-4 months with broken vertebrae. Surprised he wasn't taken off the ice on a stretcher.

I didn't expect there to be any disciplinary action stemming from this hit, but wondered what others' opinions on the play were. on the slow-motion replay, it looks a little bit like Boychuk adds a little extra force to the hit right when Raymond hits the boards, but, at least to me, it's hard to tell if he was actually driving him into the boards or if he's just hitting with the impact of their inertia. Didn't seem like a dirty play, just an unfortunate circumstance.

There was one quote from the article that stood out to me:

Boston coach Claude Julien said it hadn’t looked closely at Boychuk’s hit.

“I don’t really have time to really bother with that when you’ve got Game 7 coming up,” he said after a short practice. “We’ve talked more about what we need to do here, not analyzing the injured player of the other team.”

Doesn't seem like the best thing to say in this situation. I get that that's how he feels, and I don't really have a problem with that, but saying, "Bah, dude's got a broken back -- we've got a GD game to play!" seems a little...insensitive. Again, don't have a huge problem with him focusing more on the game, but one wonders why he didn't spin a little more concern to the media.

Thoughts?

that was in no way deserving of anything, it looked like an awkward collision that was pretty inadvertent. Things like that happen, people have blown this way out of proportion.

And who really gives a s*** what julien says? he can say whatever the heck he wants.

this now gives vancouver motivation for game 7, like boston has had for most of the series due to vancouver's shenanigans, which is unfortunate for me because i am now a bruins bandwagon supporter.

i don't see any shenanigans in this hit. it was just awkward and unfortunate.

Doesn't seem like the best thing to say in this situation. I get that that's how he feels, and I don't really have a problem with that, but saying, "Bah, dude's got a broken back -- we've got a GD game to play!" seems a little...insensitive. Again, don't have a huge problem with him focusing more on the game, but one wonders why he didn't spin a little more concern to the media.

Thoughts?

i guess it depends on when he said it. if it was right after the game and he didn't know about his back, that's a lot different than a recent quote when the results were made public. when did he say this?

incidentally, what is the crowd chanting there?

Looks like Boychuk rode Raymond into the boards without allowing him to stand up. Basically forced Raymond to go in butt-first rather than spreading the impact over his entire back. I'd probably classify it in the same category as Chara's hit in Montreal--completely legal but intentionally dickly.

Looks like an unfortunate hit to me. Raymond had assumed (accidentally) the "impromptu blowjob" position and got tangled up with the Bruins player. I got no problem with no punishment.

Looks like Boychuk rode Raymond into the boards without allowing him to stand up. Basically forced Raymond to go in butt-first rather than spreading the impact over his entire back. I'd probably classify it in the same category as Chara's hit in Montreal--completely legal but intentionally dickly.

Pretty much exactly what I think.

Nothing wrong with the hit, but Raymond was already out of the play. He didnt have to use that extra force to slam him harder...

Then again 999/1000 there is no injury and it would just be a clean way to finish your check. Sucks for Raymond though..

that was in no way deserving of anything, it looked like an awkward collision that was pretty inadvertent. Things like that happen, people have blown this way out of proportion.

The reaason people are blowing this "out of proportion" as you claim, is because the Rome hit, while interference, was otherwise clean but received a suspension due to the injury resulting from it. So this should too. But of course this is the NHL, so we get selective suspensions as always.

If you are going to suspend Rome for no reason other than his play resulted in an injury, than you should suspend Boychuk too, point blank. I mean his play did result, intentionaly or not, in someone breaking their back.

Nothing but an unfortunate play.. Some Canucks fans are saying this is no different than Rome on Horton, which is absolutely laughable. Couldn't believe Gillis this morning on TSN when I saw he was complaining about a no disciplinary action.

Also in reference to the above, Rome wasn't suspended just because Horton was injured, he was suspended because he delivered a malicious, illegal check

Yeah, I don't think this hit would deserve any type of suspension since it was just an awkward play. Canucks fans might cry because one of their players got suspended but this was just a weird play.

i guess it depends on when he said it. if it was right after the game and he didn't know about his back, that's a lot different than a recent quote when the results were made public. when did he say this?

incidentally, what is the crowd chanting there?

yeah, that's a good point: the article doesn't specify when he made the comments. i agree that he can say whatever he wants, but the comment just got a bit of an eyebrow raise.

i think the crowd was chanting "flopper," which in retrospect is obviously not what raymond was doing, but given the recent history of the canucks, not surprising in the moment.