• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Dollars and Sense

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

The 2011/2012 Salary Cap is going to be set at 60.5 to 63.5 mil (according to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly). That's going to leave us with $19,141,288 to $22,141,288 available in cap space...and with seven players left to sign (two forwards, four defensemen, and one goalie). Here's how it might go down (remember that Babcock said he wants to #1: replace Rafalski with a top pairing defenseman, and #2: add a top six forward):

#1) N. Lidstrom is resigned to a one year contract at 6.2 mil (that leaves us with 12.9 mil in cap space). He might even be willing to take a little less now that our highest paid defenseman is Brad Stuart at 3.8 mil. I'll be conservative for now though. It would be very, very surprising if he retired.

#2) J. Wisniewski is signed to a four year contract at 4.5 mil (that leaves us with 8.4 mil in cap space). It's starting to sound like he might be our best Rafalski replacement. These contract figures were proposed by Kahn in an mlive article. Seem close enough to me.

#3) B. Smith's 0.9 mil minor league contract is purchased (that leaves us with 7.5 mil in cap space). This is J. Ericsson's spot. I heard that we recently increased our 2 mil a season offer, and that he still declined. I see him leaving, and B. Smith being called up to replace him.

#4) D. Janik's 0.5 mil minor league contract is purchased (that leaves us with 7.0 mil in cap space). I've got no problem going into the season with him as a seventh defenseman.

#5) C. Emmerton's 0.5 mil minor league contract is purchased (that leaves us with 6.5 mil in cap space). I've got no problem going into the season with him as a thirteenth forward ---> though I've got a feeling that this slot will go to Draper.

#6) J. MacDonald is resigned to a one year contract at 0.5 mil (that leaves us with 6.0 mil in cap space). It sounds like Ozzie's finally going to hang em up. I'm putting Joey Mac in here for now, but I'd be surprised if we go into the season with him as our backup. It sounds like Kenny wants someone a little better there. Nabakobv would be overkill I think. Bringing Larsson back over is an idea that intrigues me...but it might be bad for Jimmy's confidence. I'm guessing that we'll probably just sign a solid veteran for 0.5m to 1.0m a season.

#7) HERE'S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING. If all the above takes place, it'd leave us with 6.0 mil in cap space - maybe as much as 9.0 mil in cap space, if the salary cap increases to 63.5 mil - to sign a top six forward. Let the speculation begin..

Edited by blueadams

#7) HERE'S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING. If all the above takes place, it'd leave us with 6.0 mil in cap space - maybe as much as 9.0 mil in cap space, if the salary cap increases to 63.5 mil - to sign a top six forward. Let the speculation begin..

Didn't the speculation begin a loooong time ago with one of the 2390429342 other threads you've made on the EXACT same topic?

Wouldn't it be great if Blueadams was really some highly contentious free agent trying to create some buzz for himself and promote a better contract by writing posts which manage to both shamelessly pander to everyone on topics we all agree on, as well as repackage and resell the bad ones, purely out of self-congratulatory and narcissistic egoism? "Yeah, sure, I don't have a problem starting the season regularly playing three or four guys with little to no NHL experience and Joey McDonald as backup, but I DEFINITELY WOULDN'T pass up this opportunity to steal Tim Connolly at 4 million a year. Hell, at that price you can't afford to NOT sign Tim Connolly,...Of course Lidstrom's coming back, and who knows maybe the Captain will take a discount because he's such a helluva team guy."

(Note to Blueadams: Before you get all pissy, I know you didn't ever mention Tim Connolly, just using him as a comedic example)

Edited by kipwinger

Guest blueadams

I've got a board i post on for pretty much every michigan sports team - wings, lions, pistons, tigers, uofm, etc. And I'm obviously not speaking for EVERYONE here...but...

This is BY FAR the MOST BITTER message board in all of Michigan sports. And it's not just responses to my posts. It's everywhere. 90% of the content I see posted here is b****ing and whining. I don't think I've ever - in three years - seen an optimistic thread here (that wasn't obvious, ala 'we love pav,' 'jimmy was great in that shutout'). If someone is ballsy enough to be optimistic, he gets completely ripped to shreds.

Isn't it ironic that the best team in the area, by far, has the most bitter fans? You're all just a bunch of hockey brats if you ask me. None of you have your own ideas. And there's nothing any of you enjoy more than shooting down others' ideas...or b****ing about the players...the coaches...the executives...

It's really pretty unreal. Bitter and pathetic people.

Edited by blueadams

I've got a board i post on for pretty much every michigan sports team - wings, lions, pistons, tigers, uofm, etc. And I'm obviously not speaking for EVERYONE here...but...

This is BY FAR the MOST BITTER message board in all of Michigan sports. And it's not just responses to my posts. It's everywhere. 90% of the content I see posted here is b****ing and whining. I don't think I've ever - in three years - seen an optimistic thread here (that wasn't obvious, ala 'we love pav,' 'jimmy was great in that shutout'). If someone is ballsy enough to be optimistic, he gets completely ripped to shreds.

Isn't it ironic that the best team in the area, by far, has the most bitter fans? You're all just a bunch of hockey brats if you ask me. None of you have your own ideas. And there's nothing any of you enjoy more than shooting down others' ideas...or b****ing about the players...the coaches...the executives...

What was it you said to that guy the other day?...oh yeah..."I weep for you and your hurt feelings". Probably time to head back over to the other Michigan sports boards and get reassured you pathetic like gunsel.

Edited by kipwinger

Bunch o' ragey stuff... burn baby burn, disco inferno...

Contrary to what you seem to think, the problem is not really your ideas or content. By and large there's little different from what the majority of people here agree/disagree with.

It has more to do with the fact that you create thread after thread of things that are of a similar vein, thread-wise, to numerous other threads that are already out there (for example, why couldn't this go in the off season changes thread?). It's as if you don't want to be seen as inanely repetitive, so you don't post similar things over and over in the same thread. Instead, you... well, I'll let you figure the rest of that out.

Me, I don't really care. I find it somewhat amusing in a sideshow sort of way.

Also, the culture here tends to be full of sarcasm and cynicism. Happiness and togetherness is not enforced here. LGW definitely isn't a place to come to get a pat on the back... on the other hand, if you want to discuss and particularly debate hockey, it's a great place. We love our arguments here. Do people take it over the line? Absolutely. But it tends to be the same people over and over, and veteran posters generally know who they are and to begin ignoring them immediately.

Oh, we all have our own ideas, we just don't make a new lines thread everytime we have one.

Oh, we all have our own ideas, we just don't make a new lines thread everytime we have one.

None of us have our own idea? Today he finally got around to coming to the conclusion that James Wisniewski was the best option for a UFA d-man, something I made clear was my position two weeks ago in my thread "James Wisniewski". Now he's wondering which UFA top six forward we should sign. Wonder if my own idea on that could be found in my two week old thread entitled "Brooks Laich"?

We don't have our own ideas or we've reached solid conclusions two weeks before he does in most cases, and then we're on to the next topic? Let the readers decide.

Edited by kipwinger

Honestly, I don't really care what you post anymore - I'm sure you've thought your ideas out pretty thoroughly and some of them might even be pretty good ones. The reason everybody is bitter about your threads is that there are So. *******. Many. of them. The "never cry wolf" story fits pretty well here - you cry wolf about lines and off-season moves so often that people just don't care anymore.

As far as the bitterness of the forum - hey, deal with it. It's a consequence of the winning environment fostered by the team over the last 20 years - the fans get bitter when the team isn't winning. We're completely spoiled, unlike fans of most other Michigan teams. That's the way it is around here, and it's not going to change.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine.

Maybe we have high standards for our team what a novel concept.....