61 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBuddy

JoeBuddy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

http://www.kuklaskor...nd_a_significa/

I'm not sure if this was posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Babs was interviewed about the coaching situation.

Plus it says on the very bottom of the page..

Jaromir Jagrís friend, Marian Jelinek, told Denik Sportís Zdenek Janda that heís recommending that Jagr join the Red Wings when free agency begins

I'd take it with a grain of salt. But in the event that it is somewhat true, I hope Ken Holland doesn't sign him.
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!"
- Mickey Redmond observing Tomas Holmstrom getting hit by the Dallas Stars. (January 12, 2001)

#2 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

If this were 5 years ago, I would love Jagr in the Winged Wheel, but after this much time away from NHL action AND his age - NO THANKS, even at a minimal salary... it'd just be taking away a roster spot from someone that deserves it more...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#3 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

If this were 5 years ago, I would love Jagr in the Winged Wheel, but after this much time away from NHL action AND his age - NO THANKS, even at a minimal salary... it'd just be taking away a roster spot from someone that deserves it more...

^ this
IPB Image

#4 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

I second that!

Posted Image

#5 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I second that!

Jagr would be our best winger next to Mule. You guys obviously didn't see him in the world games a month or so ago.

#6 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

I really can't see Jagr with Detroit. I have a hard time seeing him back in the NHL again to be honest. Not that I don't think he has the talent to compete, but you're looking at a 20 goal scorer, maybe and he'll be asking for 40-50 goal scorer money. It'll be like another Kovalev.

#7 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Jagr definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but AT THE RIGHT PRICE.. and ONLY at the right price, he could be a decent top-6 plug for a year given the not-so-strong free agent pool this year.. then next year take that money and sign someone better long term..

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#8 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Jagr would be our best winger next to Mule. You guys obviously didn't see him in the world games a month or so ago.

Sometimes I wonder about you... We never said the guy can't play but it's just not a smart move to sign a 40 year old veteran who most likely will command a high dollar amount. We have players that can fill his spot in the line up and do just as good. He wouldn't be an upgrade so it's kind of a useless move. I will admit I was a fan of the Modano signing (bearing he's always been my favorite NHL player) and well look how that worked out for us... Give or take a few factors tho between him and Jagr.

Bottom line no thank you. I'd consider it I suppose if it was like &1.25 million or less, but I'd rather see that money used elsewhere or saved for the trade deadline.

Posted Image

#9 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

Jagr was probably the most dominating player in the Worlds. You don't believe it until you see him play. I didn't think he would be in shape anymore, but as he said himself usually it's the loss of pure speed that makes many older players worse.

Players who succeed at an older age usually either have to find a way around it (Lidstrom with his amazing hockey sense) or just somehow maintain it (like Selanne). Jagr's game has never been about speed; he's strong, skilled and relies more on holding on to the puck and making plays that way (I always say Leino is extra lite version of him).

Anyways. He's in shape. You have to see it to believe it. That doesn't mean I want him to the Wings, but I still see him as a +50 point player.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 15 June 2011 - 10:30 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#10 afh87

afh87

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

I really wasn't buying into the Jagr hype until now. He's older, he's going to want way too much money, and I really couldn't believe that he still had half of what he did in the 90's, then I watched this video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dHZYMUXiXNQ

Fast Forward to about the 2:30 mark if you have any doubts. The guy is still a pure goal scorer with vision and hockey sense mirrored probably only by Datsyuk and Crosby among NHL players. Franzen could learn a thing or two.

Edited by afh87, 15 June 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#11 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

HOW MANY TIMES AM I GOING TO HAVE THE USE THE DO NOT WANT DOG THIS MORNING?!

Really, though, I'm with Stevkrause - he'd be taking a spot away from someone more deserving / more desirable.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Agreed.

On the flip side - if Holland wants the whipping boy status removed from Hudler he then should sign Jagr :P

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#13 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

HOW MANY TIMES AM I GOING TO HAVE THE USE THE DO NOT WANT DOG THIS MORNING?!

Really, though, I'm with Stevkrause - he'd be taking a spot away from someone more deserving / more desirable.

Like who? Emmerton? Hudler?

I don't want the Wings to sign Jagr for any amount of large money, but I'd take him for under 2.5 million on a one year deal.

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Jagr was probably the most dominating player in the Worlds. You don't believe it until you see him play. I didn't think he would be in shape anymore, but as he said himself usually it's the loss of pure speed that makes many older players worse.

Players who succeed at an older age usually either have to find a way around it (Lidstrom with his amazing hockey sense) or just somehow maintain it (like Selanne). Jagr's game has never been about speed; he's strong, skilled and relies more on holding on to the puck and making plays that way (I always say Leino is extra lite version of him).

Anyways. He's in shape. You have to see it to believe it. That doesn't mean I want him to the Wings, but I still see him as a +50 point player.

Jagr may do well in a Euro league such as the KHL that plays 40 to 50 games per season, but how will he tolerate the grind of a 82 game reg season plus playoffs?

In all due respect - ya cannot compare the KHL, and Worlds to what players go thru that play in the NHL.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

Kenny should sign Jagr, Drury and Recchi. Put them all on the same line. They can be known as the DEPENDS line.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#16 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Jagr may do well in a Euro league such as the KHL that plays 40 to 50 games per season, but how will he tolerate the grind of a 82 game reg season plus playoffs?

In all due respect - ya cannot compare the KHL, and Worlds to what players go thru that play in the NHL.

Nail - this is you getting hit square on the head.

Edited by stevkrause, 15 June 2011 - 10:50 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#17 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Just ask Jiri Hudler!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#18 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

Like who? Emmerton? Hudler?

I don't want the Wings to sign Jagr for any amount of large money, but I'd take him for under 2.5 million on a one year deal.

Or some other free agent addition. We've already got one "successful KHL'er" on board - we don't need 2.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#19 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

If it were at the rumored $2.5m I'd consider it. Would give us good firepower for 1 year and then open us up for a FA option again next year with a hopefully stronger FA group.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

I'd take the World games with a bunch of salt. I think I was able to name 2 or 3 guys on the US roster and maybe 5 or 6 on Canada.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".