• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JoeBuddy

Babcock Interview + Jagr to Detroit Rumor

Rate this topic

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/red_wings_overnight_report_on_boughner_a_babcock_transcript_and_a_significa/

I'm not sure if this was posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Babs was interviewed about the coaching situation.

Plus it says on the very bottom of the page..

Jaromir Jagr’s friend, Marian Jelinek, told Denik Sport’s Zdenek Janda that he’s recommending that Jagr join the Red Wings when free agency begins

I'd take it with a grain of salt. But in the event that it is somewhat true, I hope Ken Holland doesn't sign him.

If this were 5 years ago, I would love Jagr in the Winged Wheel, but after this much time away from NHL action AND his age - NO THANKS, even at a minimal salary... it'd just be taking away a roster spot from someone that deserves it more...

^ this

I really can't see Jagr with Detroit. I have a hard time seeing him back in the NHL again to be honest. Not that I don't think he has the talent to compete, but you're looking at a 20 goal scorer, maybe and he'll be asking for 40-50 goal scorer money. It'll be like another Kovalev.

Jagr definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but AT THE RIGHT PRICE.. and ONLY at the right price, he could be a decent top-6 plug for a year given the not-so-strong free agent pool this year.. then next year take that money and sign someone better long term..

Jagr would be our best winger next to Mule. You guys obviously didn't see him in the world games a month or so ago.

Sometimes I wonder about you... We never said the guy can't play but it's just not a smart move to sign a 40 year old veteran who most likely will command a high dollar amount. We have players that can fill his spot in the line up and do just as good. He wouldn't be an upgrade so it's kind of a useless move. I will admit I was a fan of the Modano signing (bearing he's always been my favorite NHL player) and well look how that worked out for us... Give or take a few factors tho between him and Jagr.

Bottom line no thank you. I'd consider it I suppose if it was like &1.25 million or less, but I'd rather see that money used elsewhere or saved for the trade deadline.

Jagr was probably the most dominating player in the Worlds. You don't believe it until you see him play. I didn't think he would be in shape anymore, but as he said himself usually it's the loss of pure speed that makes many older players worse.

Players who succeed at an older age usually either have to find a way around it (Lidstrom with his amazing hockey sense) or just somehow maintain it (like Selanne). Jagr's game has never been about speed; he's strong, skilled and relies more on holding on to the puck and making plays that way (I always say Leino is extra lite version of him).

Anyways. He's in shape. You have to see it to believe it. That doesn't mean I want him to the Wings, but I still see him as a +50 point player.

Edited by Finnish Wing

I really wasn't buying into the Jagr hype until now. He's older, he's going to want way too much money, and I really couldn't believe that he still had half of what he did in the 90's, then I watched this video:

Fast Forward to about the 2:30 mark if you have any doubts. The guy is still a pure goal scorer with vision and hockey sense mirrored probably only by Datsyuk and Crosby among NHL players. Franzen could learn a thing or two.

Edited by afh87

HOW MANY TIMES AM I GOING TO HAVE THE USE THE DO NOT WANT DOG THIS MORNING?!

Really, though, I'm with Stevkrause - he'd be taking a spot away from someone more deserving / more desirable.

HOW MANY TIMES AM I GOING TO HAVE THE USE THE DO NOT WANT DOG THIS MORNING?!

Really, though, I'm with Stevkrause - he'd be taking a spot away from someone more deserving / more desirable.

Like who? Emmerton? Hudler?

I don't want the Wings to sign Jagr for any amount of large money, but I'd take him for under 2.5 million on a one year deal.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Kenny should sign Jagr, Drury and Recchi. Put them all on the same line. They can be known as the DEPENDS line.

Jagr may do well in a Euro league such as the KHL that plays 40 to 50 games per season, but how will he tolerate the grind of a 82 game reg season plus playoffs?

In all due respect - ya cannot compare the KHL, and Worlds to what players go thru that play in the NHL.

Nail - this is you getting hit square on the head.

Edited by stevkrause

Jagr may do well in a Euro league such as the KHL that plays 40 to 50 games per season, but how will he tolerate the grind of a 82 game reg season plus playoffs?

In all due respect - ya cannot compare the KHL, and Worlds to what players go thru that play in the NHL.

Just ask Jiri Hudler!

Like who? Emmerton? Hudler?

I don't want the Wings to sign Jagr for any amount of large money, but I'd take him for under 2.5 million on a one year deal.

Or some other free agent addition. We've already got one "successful KHL'er" on board - we don't need 2.

Jagr would be our best winger next to Mule. You guys obviously didn't see him in the world games a month or so ago.

I'd take the World games with a bunch of salt. I think I was able to name 2 or 3 guys on the US roster and maybe 5 or 6 on Canada.

Ok, gonna play the Devils Advocate here, and no I am not popping in the Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino classic, but I could see this happening here. Holland gave Modano a chance last year, unfortunately because of injury, that didn't work out. Holland loves aging vets and Jagr is still very good at what he does. Is he ready for the NHL? Not sure, but how he performed at the Worlds does show that he can still play. If Jagr came here for very little, he could be worth the gamble. He really wouldn't be taking anyone's spot, especially if Hudler gets traded. There would still be room to re-sign Miller/Eaves and room for Mursak and Emmerton. He may not be a top 6 forward anymore, but thrown on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg or both together and there have been many players who have done great (Cleary come to mind.) He wouldn't cost too much and then Holland can focuses on the D where it is VITAL that he not only replaces Rafalski, Salei and as it looks Ericsson, he needs to IMPROVE it substantially! If Lidstrom does indeed retire, then Holland just may need all of that extra cap space to "outbid" other teams for players that he wouldn't normally have to overpay, but he would have to get 2 or 3 defenders signed in order to improve the D. Sorry, just having Kindl, Smith, Janik and whoever else is on the farm come up would be dreadful! In my opinion Jagr would be worth the gamble....hell it cannot work out any worse than Modano did...can it?

Guest Crymson

Jaromir Jagr’s friend, Marian Jelinek, told Denik Sport’s Zdenek Janda that he’s recommending that Jagr join the Red Wings when free agency begins[/i]

I'd take it with a grain of salt. But in the event that it is somewhat true, I hope Ken Holland doesn't sign him.

Whether or not Jagr's friend wants Jagr to sign with the Wings, I doubt Holland wants to sign Jagr.

Guest Crymson

Holland loves aging vets and Jagr is still very good at what he does.

A very important issue is that Jagr is a primadonna and a locker-room cancer with a generally awful attitude. Holland does not sign such players, for good reason.

I can make some kind of comparisong though, when I see Jagr playing against and amongst good NHL players and dominating. I call it "sofa scouting".

A very important issue is that Jagr is a primadonna and a locker-room cancer with a generally awful attitude. Holland does not sign such players, for good reason.

I love how "locker room cancer" is thrown around these boards quite often. I'm not saying your necessarily wrong, but cite sources where this information is obtained and so on.

Fedorov was a primadonna, too. Maybe not to the extreme, but he was.