• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JoeBuddy

Babcock Interview + Jagr to Detroit Rumor

Rate this topic

Jagr strikes me as Modano part 2...Aka. I don't want to do it.

Generally speaking perhaps, but Modano suffered a freak injury that happens probably once in a blue moon. It's not that he was lighting the world on fire prior to the injury but I think he was starting to find his way on the team. Lengthy time off and having to get re-conditioned again, it was just a hard situation.

Some might question Modano's attitude which I understand, maybe he shouldn't have gone public saying I might retire or not sure how much I have left, but I think a lot of it is just general frustration. I don't think he was being a drama queen or playing the woe is me card, not blaming anybody, it probably wasn't an issue in the locker room which messed up psyche, and so forth. He knew that his time was up sooner than later to begin with and this injury just confused things even more.

Relating that to the perception or fact that Jagr has an attitude problem or whatever, I can't comment on that because I didn't follow him enough in Pitt, Washington and NYC.

I think he is definitely worth pursuing as long as the priorities first are having Mursak and Emmerton round out roster spots (and possibly re-signing Draper which I haven't ruled out yet).

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Looks like Kenny is thinking about it. Not sure here. Prefer Jagr over Huds. But I prefer younger over Jagr. I guess give him a tryout and see where his skill set is.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/06/jaromir_jagr_to_the_red_wings.html

DETROIT -- Former NHL scoring leader and league MVP Jaromir Jagr wants to return to North America, and Detroit is his preferred destination.

The Red Wings are exploring the possibility of signing the 39-year-old forward who has spent the past three seasons playing in Russia, Booth Newspapers has learned.

The Red Wings didn’t call Jagr. His agent, Petr Svoboda, called them. But Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has had several conversations with Svoboda, and coach Mike Babcock has spoken to Jagr.

Svoboda reportedly contacted Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers, two of Jagr’s former teams, as well as Montreal.

But Jagr would prefer to play in Detroit for the chance to play with highly skilled players Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and, if he returns, Nicklas Lidstrom.

The Red Wings consider it a gamble, since Jagr turns 40 on Feb. 15 and hasn’t played in the NHL since 2007-08. But they also believe it might be worth the risk if they can get the Czech native fairly cheap, since they don’t have to relinquish anything in return.

Holland declined comment, except to acknowledge that his club has been contacted and is exploring the possibility.

Jagr has good size (6-foot-3, 240 pounds) and the ability to hang onto the puck. It remains to be seen how much his offensive skills have deteriorated since he collected 25 goals and 46 assists in 82 games with the Rangers in ’07-08.

He is a five-time winner of the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s scoring leader and the 1998-99 Hart Trophy winner as MVP.

Jagr has 646 goals and 953 assists for 1,599 points in 1,273 games in 17 NHL seasons with Pittsburgh, Washington and the Rangers. He ranks ninth on the career points list and is second only to Gordie Howe among right wings.

Jagr had 19 goals and 32 assists in 49 games last season with Omsk Avangard in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League.

The Red Wings wrapped up two days of organizational meetings on Wednesday. While the main focus likely was to discuss potential free-agent targets to replace defenseman Brian Rafalski, they might also be in the market for a forward.

Despite finishing second in the league in goals — just one less than Vancouver — in 2010-11, the Red Wings might look to boost their offense.

Hey Wings fans, it's been a long time. So in Pittsburgh the Jagr Watch is dominating the airwaves. I read a little from LGW, but find it easier to just ask the question. What are you all hearing in regards to him and signing him? In Pittsburgh it is said that his preferred destination is the Penguins. He loves the Team, City, Ownership, Coaches. He would love to finish in Pittsburgh. Playing with Crosby and Malkin would be great. Are you all hearing the same? Has his agent been interviewed by EVERYONE and their mother.

Just curious.

Be well.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Hey Wings fans, it's been a long time. So in Pittsburgh the Jagr Watch is dominating the airwaves. I read a little from LGW, but find it easier to just ask the question. What are you all hearing in regards to him and signing him? In Pittsburgh it is said that his preferred destination is the Penguins. He loves the Team, City, Ownership, Coaches. He would love to finish in Pittsburgh. Playing with Crosby and Malkin would be great. Are you all hearing the same? Has his agent been interviewed by EVERYONE and their mother.

Just curious.

Be well.

Sounds like a 2mil offer, good until July 1? Doesn't sound like Kenny is going to sit on cash he could use today.

Also look here:

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Sounds like a 2mil offer, good until the draft. Doesn't sound like Kenny is going to sit on cash he could use today.

Also look here:

Thanks, but my question, is Jagr being sold to Wings Fans as them being his first choice, and a good fit?

Guest CaliWingsNut

Thanks, but my question, is Jagr being sold to Wings Fans as them being his first choice, and a good fit?

Yes and no... We've seen articles stating he's all about detroit, and others all about that other team.