• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Red Wings Name New Assistant Coaches

Rate this topic

EDIT - As of 7/8, the assistant coaches have been named

Jeff Blashill (WMU) and Bill Peters (Rockford Ice Hogs)

Things have been scattered all around in other threads, about other topics, I figured this would be a good place to collect the ideas of the coaching vacancies specifically...

As I already touched on in the other threads (and have been saying for 3 years, prior to McCrimmon's hiring) I would love to see Gallant brought on for the offense... as for the defense, I think Hitchcock would be an amazing pick up, but may end up being short term, as I'm sure he wants a head gig again eventually...

With that said - here is a link to an mlive article potentially giving some wheels to the Hitch to Detroit rumors:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/06/red_wings_remain_hopeful_optim.html

Hitchcock in the mix?

The Columbus Dispatch reported that former Blue Jackets head coach Ken Hitchcock has spoken to Babcock about an assistant coaching position.

Babcock said that isn’t the case.

Edited by stevkrause

Hitch would be ideal. Even if its only for 1 or 2 seasons.

I don't really know enough about lower level coaches to even know who might be in the mix.

I think a Babs-Hitch-Spuddy coaching team would be amazing... if that trio can't get its players to play at max level and give their best, I don't know what could...

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think blueadams should be an assistant coach and I also think Eva should be one. Think about it. Lots of useless line combos matching up against our opponents. Plus Jiri Hudler getting 40 minutes of ice time en route to achieving his 80 points.

I kind of like the idea of Gallant for Offense and Hitchcock or Boughner for Defense... Although I saw a quote from Babcock stating the idea of getting guys who actually have less experience coaching for his assistants. He wants guys who will counter his personality and that of MacLean, McCrimmon, and McClellan. Sounds like he wants to shock the players into being less relaxed and working harder overall.

He wants new ideas and energy.

First Korean assistant coach in NHL history - Jim Paek. You read it here first.

Seriously, though, is there any chance Fraser comes up or is he stuck there until the Griffins actually make a run in the playoffs?

I kind of like the idea of Gallant for Offense and Hitchcock or Boughner for Defense... Although I saw a quote from Babcock stating the idea of getting guys who actually have less experience coaching for his assistants. He wants guys who will counter his personality and that of MacLean, McCrimmon, and McClellan. Sounds like he wants to shock the players into being less relaxed and working harder overall.

He wants new ideas and energy.

I don't know how he'd do that. He's already pretty damn intense so you'd have to get someone who is more technically proficient I suppose. Just wheel the hot dog stand down 75 and have Hitch and Murph chase after it. Whoever gets to it first gets the job.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't know how he'd do that. He's already pretty damn intense so you'd have to get someone who is more technically proficient I suppose. Just wheel the hot dog stand down 75 and have Hitch and Murph chase after it. Whoever gets to it first gets the job.

Babs has a psychology background that is beginning to wear on me personally. He rarely gives reporters a straight answer, and could see how the same personality and approach to coaching could dull player's reactions. I'm definitely NOT calling it bad, it's what makes him such a good coach as well.

At this point, I'd welcome an outspoken fiery and animated figure (Tortorella esque?) to contrast his often collected and thought out responses (this would also contrast with my previous post/suggestion).

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Babs has a psychology background that is beginning to wear on me personally. He rarely gives reporters a straight answer, and could see how the same personality and approach to coaching could dull player's reactions. I'm definitely NOT calling it bad, it's what makes him such a good coach as well.

At this point, I'd welcome an outspoken fiery and animated figure (Tortorella esque?) to contrast his often collected and thought out responses (this would also contrast with my previous post/suggestion).

The more I think about it, the more that it seems like the new assistants are going to be asked to do too many things. I really hope the change isn't too drastic. I'm not against getting someone with a different personality provided they don't ask that person to change for the job.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Does Murph do anything but sit there and defend the official's calls? regardless of how ridiculous?

He's absolutely not what I'd be looking for in a coach (not even counting his lack of experience).

Guest CaliWingsNut

You do realize this is likely a 'planned' part of the program to serve as a counterpoint to Mickey, yes?

I don't care if it's planned. It's his name in the public, he should give his real opinions (if he isn't).

I don't care if it's planned. It's his name in the public, he should give his real opinions (if he isn't).

Let's stay on topic here, especially since this started as a joke and we can all agree that Murph will never be a coach here, he likes the analyst life and seems better suited for front office work anyway if he ever wanted to be involved first hand again, as opposed to being a coach... which I don't think he does - He seems pretty happy with the laid-back, hot-dog and beer filled life he can have doing analysis...

Did Spuddy work with Hitch in Columbus? All though my dream assistants are Larionv, Fetisov, I know it's not going to happen, but Gallant and Hitchcock would be very nice as well...

Nope, they were both head coaches there, Hitch replaced Spuddy when he was fired in 06-07, which would actually make it kinda weird and cool at the same time, if they then joined the Wings together

Edited by stevkrause

Kurt Kleinendorst. current ahl calder cup winning coach. former us world juniors gold medal winning coach. both two teams had completely different playing styles and he adapted and led them to championships. would work well with babs in my opinion.

Kurt Kleinendorst. current ahl calder cup winning coach. former us world juniors gold medal winning coach. both two teams had completely different playing styles and he adapted and led them to championships. would work well with babs in my opinion.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like he may be looking for a head gig too... I wonder if he'd take an asst role, even though it would be a step up from AHL for sure, he may not want to be an asst...

He's a great coach though, I'd be all for him coming here as an asst, providing that Gallant is brought on as well :)

In case I haven't been transparent enough about this situation since day 1 when McClellan left... I think Gallant is exactly what this team needs up front as far as coaching...

Edited by stevkrause

Boughner is the guy. Windsor guy so he will stick around forever. Tough guy and former enforcer, so the players will get rougher. Defensive guy, which we need. Oh and TWO Memorial Cups, back to back which is very hard to do and the kind of passion we need to keep winning cups! I not only could see him as an assistant, but a possible future head coach.

I read on twitter I beleive that Deboer out of Florida has been interviewed for the job. Not sure about his style or anything Ive never really paid any attention to him lol.

Gallant or Boughner seem like realistic options, it seems alittle odd that Boughner said he wanted to live in Windsor and pursue other options right around the time the wings had a coaching vacancy.

Gallant has done well in St John as well. They probably have alot of guys in mind. Gota wonder if Fischer is in the running for coaching the defense with how well hes done in his role as the player development guy

I read on twitter I beleive that Deboer out of Florida has been interviewed for the job. Not sure about his style or anything Ive never really paid any attention to him lol.

Gallant or Boughner seem like realistic options, it seems alittle odd that Boughner said he wanted to live in Windsor and pursue other options right around the time the wings had a coaching vacancy.

Gallant has done well in St John as well. They probably have alot of guys in mind. Gota wonder if Fischer is in the running for coaching the defense with how well hes done in his role as the player development guy

I just read there is some interest in Deboer as well... Deboer/Bougner? I wouldn't hate it, but I'd much prefer they brought on Gallant/Bougner - another article in regards to this:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Wings+speak+Boughner/4935580/story.html

Also, looks like Minnesota is out of the race for head gigs, so that's one less destination for the likes of Hitch/Gallant to go to:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/06/16/report-wild-to-introduce-yeo-as-new-coach-on-friday/

I just read there is some interest in Deboer as well... Deboer/Bougner? I wouldn't hate it, but I'd much prefer they brought on Gallant/Bougner - another article in regards to this:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Wings+speak+Boughner/4935580/story.html

Also, looks like Minnesota is out of the race for head gigs, so that's one less destination for the likes of Hitch/Gallant to go to:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/06/16/report-wild-to-introduce-yeo-as-new-coach-on-friday/

I am with you 100%