• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Red Wings Name New Assistant Coaches

Rate this topic

This is a far-fetched idea... but anyone consider Chelios as an assistant or defensive coach? There is a wealth of experience there, and he has served as a mentor for younger players. Could he step into a coaching role? Since there is so much speculation in the mix, just thought I'd toss this in for comment.

This is a far-fetched idea... but anyone consider Chelios as an assistant or defensive coach? There is a wealth of experience there, and he has served as a mentor for younger players. Could he step into a coaching role? Since there is so much speculation in the mix, just thought I'd toss this in for comment.

Its been touched on, but the fact is, he needs some seasoning as a coach before he steps into an NHL gig... now if they wanted to promote Fraser from GR and one of the Assts there to head of GR and make Cheli an asst in GR, that I think would be perfect, then he could take over here as an asst in a few years when Hitch or Boughner (wishful thinking) or whomever else gets the role moves on...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest CaliWingsNut

It's not far fetched, and many people have suggested him already (just not in this thread).

He has no real coaching experience (doing and teaching are different things).

He's happy in his current front office position with the wings. He has previously dismissed (but not rejected) the thought publicly in interviews.

I don't think he really is after a coaching position. He's a businessman running multiple restaurants, I'd peg him much more as a hopeful future GM or president candidate.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Hitchcock would be awesome but he seems like he should be in the market for a head coaching job

I concur that a lot of these guys would work in the Wing's system, and there are only so many NHL head coach positions available... If you were Hitch, or any of the others... would you be willing to take a head coaching position in a lesser league, or would you be willing to accept a lesser ROLE and stay in the big league? I guess if it were me, I'd like to say in the NHL, even if it is only a stop-gap until another head coach position opens up.

The thing is this, Babcock is off reading books on success and he said case studies show that new upcoming leaders are better than old pressed leaders in almost every case. He now has the mindframe that he wants to find these new coaches that no one has heard of to bring a new style to the Red Wings. This was all said in one of his video interviews. He came across saying that it's obvious that we're coming up short here two years in a row from the same thing, we need some changes and that calls for new faces. He wants to change his style of play and he's looking for the new guys to address the styles to the team. So we may all be wrong here and he's going to surprise us all with some random names on his bench.

Well that's a freakin' bummer...

EDIT - Parts of this article seem like speculation to me, so I wouldn't completely close the door yet...

Edited by stevkrause

I don't think it is speculation. I bet Babs offered him the job and Hitch said no thanks flat out. In the modern era, it is better to just take a job with a sports journalism group and wait for a head coaching position to appear then to take a step backwards.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't think it is speculation. I bet Babs offered him the job and Hitch said no thanks flat out. In the modern era, it is better to just take a job with a sports journalism group and wait for a head coaching position to appear then to take a step backwards.

I hope it's a case of him not wanting the wings to wait on him to lose the NY position. However, I really think it's not speculation too.

Craig Ramsay will not be retained as the head coach of the Winnipeg franchise. Would he be a good fit for the defensive coach? When he joined the Bruins in 06-07 they saw better defensive play and sucess, he also won a Stanley Cup with Tampa in 04. Interesting name if Hitchcock did indeed turn down the assistants role.

Craig Ramsay will not be retained as the head coach of the Winnipeg franchise. Would he be a good fit for the defensive coach? When he joined the Bruins in 06-07 they saw better defensive play and sucess, he also won a Stanley Cup with Tampa in 04. Interesting name if Hitchcock did indeed turn down the assistants role.

If Hitch was indeed offered the job and did turn it down, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least one of the new asst end up being someone relatively unknown...

Babs said, he isn't even close to making a decision... I am just stunned.

I'm not.

Babs said he wants new ideas. When you're already a good team that is looking for new ideas on how be great and better than the other good teams in a league that's tight enough as it is, it's going to take some time.

Link.

I'm not.

Babs said he wants new ideas. When you're already a good team that is looking for new ideas on how be great and better than the other good teams in a league that's tight enough as it is, it's going to take some time.

Fair enough for the offensive coach, but defensively we could hire anyone not named Brad and we would get better.

Boughner is the CLEAR choice. I would feel so much better if we just signed him now and let Babs figure out one coach.

Link.

Fair enough for the offensive coach, but defensively we could hire anyone not named Brad and we would get better.

Boughner is the CLEAR choice. I would feel so much better if we just signed him now and let Babs figure out one coach.

I don't know if I'd say the clear choice, there are some very smart guys out there, that may fit better... I'm just surprised that it looks like neither asst may be named by tonight's draft...

I don't know if I'd say the clear choice, there are some very smart guys out there, that may fit better... I'm just surprised that it looks like neither asst may be named by tonight's draft...

He is the clear choice. He has all the experience you need, a history with the team, a desire to stay in the area, a winning record, a grittiness, and can put himself in the position of leading the Defense.

Even Lids would have to listen to him, as he could always pull out that he was drafted before him in the same draft!!!

Honestly I looked at all the names being thrown around, and I cannot find a better fit.

Offensive coach is much more up in the air, and honestly should be someone that can blend our 90s winning with our 2000s winning styles. Igor would be the perfect fit, but I don't think there is a snowballs chance of that happening.

Oh and Emma, his tween girl has on her facebook her favourite team is the Wings...

Clearly he is going to sign!

He is the clear choice. He has all the experience you need, a history with the team, a desire to stay in the area, a winning record, a grittiness, and can put himself in the position of leading the Defense.

Even Lids would have to listen to him, as he could always pull out that he was drafted before him in the same draft!!!

Honestly I looked at all the names being thrown around, and I cannot find a better fit.

Offensive coach is much more up in the air, and honestly should be someone that can blend our 90s winning with our 2000s winning styles. Igor would be the perfect fit, but I don't think there is a snowballs chance of that happening.

Oh and Emma, his tween girl has on her facebook her favourite team is the Wings...

Clearly he is going to sign!

Who knows what will happen, but Holland has come out and said he would like his coaches in place by the weeks end (July 1st). It makes sense, as he wants them to get comfortable together and any players to get acquainted with them as well.

I honestly think they'll bring in Gallant as the O-coach and either Boughner or a relatively unknown for the D-coach. I would like Gallant, as he seems like the type of O-coach to fit in nicely and help develop our front-end players. He also has a good relationship with Jurco... so maybe he can develop him into a larger Datsyukian type player.

Boughner would be nice to have here, but I don't know if he'd want to, honestly. It seems like he is either wanting to be a head coach somewhere or just stick in Windsor with the Spitfire.

Hopefully we'll know in the next 3-4 days.

Who knows what will happen, but Holland has come out and said he would like his coaches in place by the weeks end (July 1st). It makes sense, as he wants them to get comfortable together and any players to get acquainted with them as well.

I honestly think they'll bring in Gallant as the O-coach and either Boughner or a relatively unknown for the D-coach. I would like Gallant, as he seems like the type of O-coach to fit in nicely and help develop our front-end players. He also has a good relationship with Jurco... so maybe he can develop him into a larger Datsyukian type player.

Boughner would be nice to have here, but I don't know if he'd want to, honestly. It seems like he is either wanting to be a head coach somewhere or just stick in Windsor with the Spitfire.

Hopefully we'll know in the next 3-4 days.

He left the Blue Jackets because he wanted to be closer to home. Well he can drive home every day or run over to the Spitfires in a matter of minutes.