• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Red Wings Name New Assistant Coaches

Rate this topic

Who knows what will happen, but Holland has come out and said he would like his coaches in place by the weeks end (July 1st). It makes sense, as he wants them to get comfortable together and any players to get acquainted with them as well.

I honestly think they'll bring in Gallant as the O-coach and either Boughner or a relatively unknown for the D-coach. I would like Gallant, as he seems like the type of O-coach to fit in nicely and help develop our front-end players. He also has a good relationship with Jurco... so maybe he can develop him into a larger Datsyukian type player.

Boughner would be nice to have here, but I don't know if he'd want to, honestly. It seems like he is either wanting to be a head coach somewhere or just stick in Windsor with the Spitfire.

Hopefully we'll know in the next 3-4 days.

I've wanted Gallant here as an asst since McCrimmon was first hired (wanted MacClean to stay with the D and Gallant take over the O) - I really hope they can work it out and bring him home... as far as the D position goes, I'd like Boughner, but at this point, an unknown might the best way to go... who knows, maybe even "promote" Fraser from GR...

Crossing my fingers!

On the coaching front, Gerard Gallant’s been named as one of the Wings’ favorites to replace Brad McCrimmon and Paul MacLean of late, right up there with Pete DeBoer and Bob Boughner, but as Yahoo Sports’ Neate Sager revealed, Gallant told the CBC’s Prince Edward Island radio show, “Island Morning,” that he hasn’t received any…formal offers:

Brendan Elliott (CBC): “Winning the Memorial Cup certainly would be a pretty decent thing to have on the resume for a return to the NHL. Are you getting calls? Are you putting feelers out to return?”

Gallant: “You know what, no, neither. I’ve had a couple little feelers, but nothing serious, to be honest with you. There was some reports that I interviewed for the Ottawa Senators [head coaching] job, which never happened. I don’t know how the report got out to be the way they were. Like I said, we’ll see what happens here. I’m very happy with where I am in Saint John.

“... If something comes up, would I want to be back in the National Hockey League? Of course I would.” (Island Morning, with audio)

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/red_wings_overnight_report_petr_svobodas_jagr-related_dangles_ericsson_coac/

Per Darren Dreger's twitter -

Red Wings will announce their asst coaches on Friday. "Off the map," is how a source describes the additions.

I have a feeling that Jeff Blashill from WMU may make a meteoric jump...

Edited by stevkrause

Why do I get the feeling "Off the map" may mean two Swedish guys who are in HockeyAllsvenskan and have never seen the NHL?

Nope, aliens. They will teach Pavel Datsyuk teleportation as it is the only way he can be any harder to get the puck from him.

Honestly, I am going to be upset that we didn't grab Boughner...

Normally I would be for such a move, but not so close to the end of Lids career. We need to have established guys to help the youngsters continue on after he retires.

So with Holland considering people with "different ideas" and Babcock earlier saying he needed people with new ideas, does this mean the Wings will be transitioning to a new system of play?

I hear they are gonna try playing defence this year. :ph34r:

So with Holland considering people with "different ideas" and Babcock earlier saying he needed people with new ideas, does this mean the Wings will be transitioning to a new system of play?

I think the puck possession style will always remain, but I wouldn't be suprised at all to see them shift away from a shooting style PP to maybe that of an overload style...

I have a feeling that Jeff Blashill from WMU may make a meteoric jump...

I hope not... We really NEED Blashill here in Kalamazoo. In just one season he managed to bring life back to a Broncos program that was clearly risking being taken behind the barn and shot!

I hope not... We really NEED Blashill here in Kalamazoo. In just one season he managed to bring life back to a Broncos program that was clearly risking being taken behind the barn and shot!

The more and more they tip their hand, I really think Blashill is one of the guys... and I agree, it sucks for WMU, but this could be great for the Wings and you have to be happy for Blashill, as this is a huge step in his career for him...

and there it is - reported by Detroit Sports Nation as well -

Western Michigan University has announced that reigning college hockey coach of the year Jeff Blashill is leaving to join the Red Wings as an assistant coach. Still waiting to find out who the second assistant is...

well that throws a wrench in my predictions.... lol. seems like a general theme of the wings this offseason is to be unpredictable....

Might be a good thing, sometimes a shake-up ins necessary when things become stagnant... I have a feeling now, that the other assistant is going to be relatively unknown too.. although I'm still holding onto hope for Gallant!

One thing I've noticed about Blashill at WMU and Indiana....His players show great development as the season progresses. We saw that at Western when guys like Balisy and Leone came out of nowhere to have strong second halves of the season. With people like Smith, Tatar, Mursak, and Emmerton having shots at being everyday players within the next year or two, he's going to help make sure they develop their full potential.