• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Red Wings Name New Assistant Coaches

Rate this topic

One thing I've noticed about Blashill at WMU and Indiana....His players show great development as the season progresses. We saw that at Western when guys like Balisy and Leone came out of nowhere to have strong second halves of the season. With people like Smith, Tatar, Mursak, and Emmerton having shots at being everyday players within the next year or two, he's going to help make sure they develop their full potential.

That's encouraging, because I think development is something we've lacked greatly the last few years and no matter how much some people want to take the blame off of McCrimmon, I still think he had a lot to do with the stagnant development of players like Ericsson and even to a lesser extent, Kronwall... I also think Kindl could have made better strides with someone better at development...

Interesting choice, hopefully it turns out well. I'm more interested to see whom will be the new defense coach. Are they supposed to announce the new defense coach as well today?

With all the younger players that will be getting moved up over the next few years, I think this could be a very solid move by the Wings. I read that he really excels in the development of younger players, so if that's the case, then he should be a good fit for this team. I guess he's our new offensive coach?

Does Jiri Fischer get a look?

Or does he stay Player Dev??

I have to imagine that neither Jiri, or Chelios will be coaches at the NHL level without first seeing some time as a coach in the AHL... now, if the Wings were to promote Fraser or Paek from GR and then slide Chelios or Fischer into one of those roles, that would make sense...

Det Staff

Head: Babcock

Asst: Blashill

Asst: Fraser

GR Staff:

Head: Paek

Asst: Fischer/Chelios

Asst: ?

(come to think of it, I never remember hearing about another asst in GR and the Griffins site only has Paek listed... do they only carry 1 asst down there???)

That would make sense... then in the 4-5 years from now, when it's time to replace someone again... we promote from within again, if the track record is there that proves that they deserve it... this would make the most sense to me...

Interesting choice, hopefully it turns out well. I'm more interested to see whom will be the new defense coach. Are they supposed to announce the new defense coach as well today?

Are we certain that Blashill will be handling the offense? I haven't seen anywhere that he will be assigned to the offense and not the defense, or are you just basing this off of his style of coaching at WMU (admittedly, I don't know a lot about him, other than reports I've read)

Edited by stevkrause

One thing I've noticed about Blashill at WMU and Indiana....His players show great development as the season progresses. We saw that at Western when guys like Balisy and Leone came out of nowhere to have strong second halves of the season. With people like Smith, Tatar, Mursak, and Emmerton having shots at being everyday players within the next year or two, he's going to help make sure they develop their full potential.

[/quote

Good points. I think not only will his coaching style help bring the young'ns along, they should be also pretty fired up to learn from him, knowing how well he did at WMU for kids younger than them. And of course, his methods should add balance to Babcock's style of coaching. Sounds like a very good move.

Are we certain that Blashill will be handling the offense? I haven't seen anywhere that he will be assigned to the offense and not the defense, or are you just basing this off of his style of coaching at WMU (admittedly, I don't know a lot about him, other than reports I've read)

I just assumed he would be offense asst. coach. I don't know anything about him but the regular media reports that came out of WMU. I figured if he had been assigned to the defense coaching position it would've been announced as such.

I just assumed he would be offense asst. coach. I don't know anything about him but the regular media reports that came out of WMU. I figured if he had been assigned to the defense coaching position it would've been announced as such.

Not defined yet -

mlive article

Blashill, who has no professional coaching experience, said his role on the Red Wings’ staff has not yet been defined.

“I know I’m going to get together with Mike (Babcock) and whoever they name as the other assistant and we’ll discuss dividing up responsibilities,” Blashill said. “I think from Mike’s standpoint, he just wanted to get the right two guys in terms of guys he believes in and then discuss responsibilities.”

So, he could be handling D for all we know... generally speaking, a coach is a coach and can handle either, but I'm sure Babs hired them each with a specific responsibility in mind, we just probably won't know for a little bit...

It's up in the air still, in fact I'm fairly certain he said he wasn't even sure of how assignments would be handed out yet. I just can't find the quote from the article at the moment. I'll try to find it again.

It's up in the air still, in fact I'm fairly certain he said he wasn't even sure of how assignments would be handed out yet. I just can't find the quote from the article at the moment. I'll try to find it again.

look up :)

Edited by stevkrause

I don't know how he'd do that. He's already pretty damn intense so you'd have to get someone who is more technically proficient I suppose. Just wheel the hot dog stand down 75 and have Hitch and Murph chase after it. Whoever gets to it first gets the job.

Now%2BBoys.jpg

Is there anything more intense than that?

Guest CaliWingsNut

red wings website article

Jeff Blashill and Bill Peters are the new assistants who will flank Babcock behind the Wings’ bench, filling the voids left by the departures of Brad McCrimmon, who is now coaching in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League, and Paul MacLean, now head coach of the Ottawa Senators.

I want guys like that on the team, and this makes Blashill a good signing in my opinion, that is if they don't decide to make things so different our team falls apart.

Bill Peters, formerly of the Rockford Ice Hogs is the second assistant coach, according to the Red Wings Facebook.

LINK

Peters is well accomplished for his age and level. If nothing else he will have some info on Blackhawks prospects...

Bill Peters has led the Rockford IceHogs to three consecutive winning seasons in the American Hockey League since taking over behind the bench on August 1, 2008. Peters has guided Rockford to a 122-97-7-14 (.552) mark while at the helm, and helped graduate 19 players to the National Hockey League

Maybe Boughner is still in the mix as well and it will be Babcock-Boughner-Blashill

Killer B's?

I wish this is how it went down.

I have to say I am incredibly pissed off about them not bringing in Boughner. I think it is a huge mistake not getting a two time Memorial cup winning coach who was a defenseman and has ties to the area. I get the feeling that they might have just hired young guys at the wrong time to do so.

Why try to change everything up right now when our team is at a crossroads and has a closing window to win with a legend? I would have rather had established guys that would bring us a better guarantee and added young off the map types one at a time over the next few years.

Disappointed over missing a slam dunk, and okay with one of the additions.

Without a doubt they are hiring guys designed to develop young players, because there is no way to avoid us getting a lot younger over the next few years...

Edited by Majsheppard

I have to say I am incredibly pissed off about them not bringing in Boughner. I think it is a huge mistake not getting a two time Memorial cup winning coach who was a defenseman and has ties to the area. I get the feeling that they might have just hired young guys at the wrong time to do so.

[/i][/b]

Have people ever thought maybe Bougher didn't want to come here? He wanted to be with his family.

I wish this is how it went down.

Why try to change everything up right now when our team is at a crossroads and has a closing window to win with a legend? I would have rather had established guys that would bring us a better guarantee and added young off the map types one at a time over the next few years.

Disappointed over missing a slam dunk, and okay with one of the additions.

Without a doubt they are hiring guys designed to develop young players, because there is no way to avoid us getting a lot younger over the next few years...

For all we know, Boughner was offered the job and turned it down... I like these signings and Babs familiarity with Peters is good for the team too...

I would actually imagine that Blashill will probably handle the D, being a former goalie, and Peters will handle the O, being a former RW'er... but who knows, Babs could wildcard us again and switch it up...

Edited by stevkrause

For all we know, Boughner was offered the job and turned it down... I like these signings and Babs familiarity with Peters is good for the team too...

I would actually imagine that Blashill will probably handle the D, being a former goalie and Peters will handle the O being a former RW'er... but who knows, babs could wildcard us again and switch it up...

I'm thinking/hoping, Blashill is for the defense. The reason I say that is because we have so many young defensemen, especially after this last draft, that need developed and quick.

So with Holland considering people with "different ideas" and Babcock earlier saying he needed people with new ideas, does this mean the Wings will be transitioning to a new system of play?

Gordon Bombay. Flying V power play.

Make it happen, Kenny!