• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Red Wings Name New Assistant Coaches

Rate this topic

For those of you upset about Boughner not coming here because he won back to back memorial cups, please don't forget that Bill Peters also has a memorial cup under his belt as well.

I was a season ticket holder for the Spokane Cheifs the year he has behind the bench when we won the mem cup, and let me tell you he has a great understanding of young players and how to get the best from them. I think thats why both of these hirings makes so much sense, as an orginzation were bringing in lots of youngers guys up from GR to play for the Wings. These two are ideal candidates for providing the knowledge to nurture young talent that is coming up in our system.

Im really excited to see how well our young kids are going to blossom. :)

Guest Heaten

Chicago fans are celebrating on their forum because they think Bill Peters is horrible and thought he was more of a stop gap from helping players be the best they can be...

I don't know either way.

Great pickups, especially Blashill.

Now the goalie situation will be resolved cause the Wings said they'd have that decision by the end of the week too.

kinda glad we didnt land gallant or hitch now. the more i think about it it seemed likely that they would just be around for maybe a few years and then move on to head coaching jobs again. i like this choices as they are for the long term, and it seems like that is what holland is more focused on atm.

Chicago fans are celebrating on their forum because they think Bill Peters is horrible and thought he was more of a stop gap from helping players be the best they can be...

I don't know either way.

Kind of how Wings fans feel about Curt Fraser at times.

Anybody else have anything to add about Peters?

Me likey...

From mlive:

The word Blashill used more times than any other is “process.” It seems to be at the root of his philosophy and how he coaches. He believes in going about things the right way ultimately pays off. During his time as an assistant at Miami of Ohio, Blashill helped develop the RedHawks into an excellent penalty-killing team, a reputation they still hold today. His penalty kill is not an overly aggressive one, but rather a read-and-react kill which emphasizes positioning. Defensively, Blashill implemented an aggressive style and continually preached winning puck battles and digging pucks out at the boards, and spent a good amount of time in practice working on those things. Offensively, Blashill valued puck possession more than anything. His offensive schemes differed depending on the opponent, but Blashill preached continually about the importance of not committing silly turnovers.

I don't know either way.

Maybe they are right, but like the Blackhawks fanbase is going to admit anyone that comes to the Red Wings is worth a damn. Rational thoughts aren't exactly their strong point when the Red Wings are involved. Or ever.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Maybe they are right, but like the Blackhawks fanbase is going to admit anyone that comes to the Red Wings is worth a damn. Rational thoughts aren't exactly their strong point when the Red Wings are involved. Or ever.

Exactly. I wonder how much they learned about him in 2 years.:ph34r:

so does this mean one is defense and one is an assistant? or is our defense coach yet to be found?

Ummmmmm... what??? This isn't the NFL, there aren't coordinators... they are both assistants, one will generally handle D duties, one will generally handle O duties... Blashill will handle D, and Peters the O if I had to guess, but that's subjective as they are still just assitants and will be involved in it all... its a staff, not individuals so much...

Ummmmmm... what??? This isn't the NFL, there aren't coordinators... they are both assistants, one will generally handle D duties, one will generally handle O duties... Blashill will handle D, and Peters the O if I had to guess, but that's subjective as they are still just assitants and will be involved in it all... its a staff, not individuals so much...

i agree, from what ive read, blashill brings a great pk philosophy to the table and probably will man the D responsibilities. haven't read much about peters yet.

Part of the interview process included sending the coaches video of games to critique and offer up ideas on what could have been done better in various situations.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110709/SPORTS05/107090413/Babcock-New-assistants-bring-ideas-energy

Niiice.

"What I want is new ideas," Babcock said. "I said to these guys, 'I'm looking for a new idea every day. When you come up with an idea, find a way to make it work.' I'm looking for guys to say, 'Hey, Babs, we're not treating people right' or 'Hey, how come we're not doing it that way?' I'm not interested in guys saying yes. That doesn't do you any good."

Also nice.

I'm also not interested in every idea being a bad idea, if that makes any sense."

So much for suggesting he have a laptop, iPad or iPhone on him so he can check LGW for ideas. :hehe: