• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

I don't think it is speculation. I bet Babs offered him the job and Hitch said no thanks flat out. In the modern era, it is better to just take a job with a sports journalism group and wait for a head coaching position to appear then to take a step backwards.

I hope it's a case of him not wanting the wings to wait on him to lose the NY position. However, I really think it's not speculation too.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#42 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Craig Ramsay will not be retained as the head coach of the Winnipeg franchise. Would he be a good fit for the defensive coach? When he joined the Bruins in 06-07 they saw better defensive play and sucess, he also won a Stanley Cup with Tampa in 04. Interesting name if Hitchcock did indeed turn down the assistants role.

#NOMOREKINDL

#43 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Craig Ramsay will not be retained as the head coach of the Winnipeg franchise. Would he be a good fit for the defensive coach? When he joined the Bruins in 06-07 they saw better defensive play and sucess, he also won a Stanley Cup with Tampa in 04. Interesting name if Hitchcock did indeed turn down the assistants role.

If Hitch was indeed offered the job and did turn it down, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least one of the new asst end up being someone relatively unknown...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#44 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

THN reports we talked to the Thrashers former coach, but might not have been about a job...

Babs said, he isn't even close to making a decision... I am just stunned.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#45 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Babs said, he isn't even close to making a decision... I am just stunned.

I'm not.

Babs said he wants new ideas. When you're already a good team that is looking for new ideas on how be great and better than the other good teams in a league that's tight enough as it is, it's going to take some time.

#46 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Link.

I'm not.

Babs said he wants new ideas. When you're already a good team that is looking for new ideas on how be great and better than the other good teams in a league that's tight enough as it is, it's going to take some time.

Fair enough for the offensive coach, but defensively we could hire anyone not named Brad and we would get better.

Boughner is the CLEAR choice. I would feel so much better if we just signed him now and let Babs figure out one coach.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#47 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Link.

Fair enough for the offensive coach, but defensively we could hire anyone not named Brad and we would get better.

Boughner is the CLEAR choice. I would feel so much better if we just signed him now and let Babs figure out one coach.

I don't know if I'd say the clear choice, there are some very smart guys out there, that may fit better... I'm just surprised that it looks like neither asst may be named by tonight's draft...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#48 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

I don't know if I'd say the clear choice, there are some very smart guys out there, that may fit better... I'm just surprised that it looks like neither asst may be named by tonight's draft...

He is the clear choice. He has all the experience you need, a history with the team, a desire to stay in the area, a winning record, a grittiness, and can put himself in the position of leading the Defense.

Even Lids would have to listen to him, as he could always pull out that he was drafted before him in the same draft!!!

Honestly I looked at all the names being thrown around, and I cannot find a better fit.

Offensive coach is much more up in the air, and honestly should be someone that can blend our 90s winning with our 2000s winning styles. Igor would be the perfect fit, but I don't think there is a snowballs chance of that happening.

Oh and Emma, his tween girl has on her facebook her favourite team is the Wings...

Clearly he is going to sign!

#49 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

He is the clear choice. He has all the experience you need, a history with the team, a desire to stay in the area, a winning record, a grittiness, and can put himself in the position of leading the Defense.

Even Lids would have to listen to him, as he could always pull out that he was drafted before him in the same draft!!!

Honestly I looked at all the names being thrown around, and I cannot find a better fit.

Offensive coach is much more up in the air, and honestly should be someone that can blend our 90s winning with our 2000s winning styles. Igor would be the perfect fit, but I don't think there is a snowballs chance of that happening.

Oh and Emma, his tween girl has on her facebook her favourite team is the Wings...

Clearly he is going to sign!

Who knows what will happen, but Holland has come out and said he would like his coaches in place by the weeks end (July 1st). It makes sense, as he wants them to get comfortable together and any players to get acquainted with them as well.

I honestly think they'll bring in Gallant as the O-coach and either Boughner or a relatively unknown for the D-coach. I would like Gallant, as he seems like the type of O-coach to fit in nicely and help develop our front-end players. He also has a good relationship with Jurco... so maybe he can develop him into a larger Datsyukian type player.

Boughner would be nice to have here, but I don't know if he'd want to, honestly. It seems like he is either wanting to be a head coach somewhere or just stick in Windsor with the Spitfire.

Hopefully we'll know in the next 3-4 days.

#50 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Who knows what will happen, but Holland has come out and said he would like his coaches in place by the weeks end (July 1st). It makes sense, as he wants them to get comfortable together and any players to get acquainted with them as well.

I honestly think they'll bring in Gallant as the O-coach and either Boughner or a relatively unknown for the D-coach. I would like Gallant, as he seems like the type of O-coach to fit in nicely and help develop our front-end players. He also has a good relationship with Jurco... so maybe he can develop him into a larger Datsyukian type player.

Boughner would be nice to have here, but I don't know if he'd want to, honestly. It seems like he is either wanting to be a head coach somewhere or just stick in Windsor with the Spitfire.

He left the Blue Jackets because he wanted to be closer to home. Well he can drive home every day or run over to the Spitfires in a matter of minutes.

#51 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

I've wanted Gallant here as an asst since McCrimmon was first hired (wanted MacClean to stay with the D and Gallant take over the O) - I really hope they can work it out and bring him home... as far as the D position goes, I'd like Boughner, but at this point, an unknown might the best way to go... who knows, maybe even "promote" Fraser from GR...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#52 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

Crossing my fingers!

On the coaching front, Gerard Gallant’s been named as one of the Wings’ favorites to replace Brad McCrimmon and Paul MacLean of late, right up there with Pete DeBoer and Bob Boughner, but as Yahoo Sports’ Neate Sager revealed, Gallant told the CBC’s Prince Edward Island radio show, “Island Morning,” that he hasn’t received any…formal offers:

Brendan Elliott (CBC): “Winning the Memorial Cup certainly would be a pretty decent thing to have on the resume for a return to the NHL. Are you getting calls? Are you putting feelers out to return?”

Gallant: “You know what, no, neither. I’ve had a couple little feelers, but nothing serious, to be honest with you. There was some reports that I interviewed for the Ottawa Senators [head coaching] job, which never happened. I don’t know how the report got out to be the way they were. Like I said, we’ll see what happens here. I’m very happy with where I am in Saint John.

“... If something comes up, would I want to be back in the National Hockey League? Of course I would.” (Island Morning, with audio)

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/red_wings_overnight_report_petr_svobodas_jagr-related_dangles_ericsson_coac/

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#53 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Per Darren Dreger's twitter -

Red Wings will announce their asst coaches on Friday. "Off the map," is how a source describes the additions.

I have a feeling that Jeff Blashill from WMU may make a meteoric jump...

Edited by stevkrause, 07 July 2011 - 01:12 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#54 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Why do I get the feeling "Off the map" may mean two Swedish guys who are in HockeyAllsvenskan and have never seen the NHL?

#55 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

One of the coaches is the NHL 11 assistant coach AI.

Expect to see shift times increase to ~5 minutes.

Edited by Dave, 07 July 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#56 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

One of the coaches is the NHL 11 assistant coach AI.

Expect to see shift times increase to ~5 minutes.

:clap:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#57 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Why do I get the feeling "Off the map" may mean two Swedish guys who are in HockeyAllsvenskan and have never seen the NHL?

Nope, aliens. They will teach Pavel Datsyuk teleportation as it is the only way he can be any harder to get the puck from him.

Honestly, I am going to be upset that we didn't grab Boughner...

Normally I would be for such a move, but not so close to the end of Lids career. We need to have established guys to help the youngsters continue on after he retires.

#58 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

i am preparing to be underwhelmed

http://www.freep.com...3/1053/sports05

TRAVERSE CITY — Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the team plans to announce Friday the hiring of two assistant coaches.

“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#59 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

http://www.freep.com...3/1053/sports05

GM Ken Holland: Red Wings to announce two assistant coaches on Friday

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

So with Holland considering people with "different ideas" and Babcock earlier saying he needed people with new ideas, does this mean the Wings will be transitioning to a new system of play?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.