• Please log in to reply
763 replies to this topic

#301 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

It's funny because all those players you mentioned were effective for the team prior to the lockout sans Drake and he was a different type of player. Jagr will not be the piece to bring a cup to Detroit.

and how many of these over the hill players did we sign since the lock out... 2?? Modano and Drake, Modano suffered what was basically a season ending injury. He came back with no confidence and a bum wrist and your going to bunch together every future over 35 signing with that now? Im sorry but all these young players with skill and upside and that can put up 50+ points a season come with A LOT bigger price tag and are usually part of the long term picture. The problem being is we can only have so many long term picture players. Datsyuk, Franzen, Zetterberg, and probably a guy like Filppula will be out long term guys. Guys like Jarnkrok, Tatar, Pulkkinen, Shehan, Nyquist, and who ever else will slowly start to infiltrate our line up, but instead you guys want to start locking up these players that are going to be over paid in Free Agency when they are going to be asking for 3-4 year deals. No thank you.

Ill take the guy that is 39, signing a one year deal for 2 million. THAT IS LESS THEN ERICCSON AND HUDLER! I dont care if the guy only puts up 30 points thats still better then what the other two are going to get paid and bring to the team.

As for Jagr and his 2 million dollars or whatever he does with it, I could careless. Babcock and Holladn would not be pursuing a guy if he thought he was going to be too much of a Cancer to deal with. Simple as that. I think a guy like Babcock and Holland who have coached against him, scouted him and talked to him over the phone and spoken to his previous coaches know a hell of a lot more then a lot of people on Letsgowings.com?

Im getting tired of the Over the Hill stuff, because its the guys that are over the hill that round out our roster, give us the experience we need in the playoffs and contribute in our cup runs, On and off the ice. Sorry last time I checked we won the cup 3 years ago, with a lot of over 35 year olds on the team, and last time i checked all those YOUNG teams that weren't a creation of the draft and sucked for years prior(Pittsburgh, Chicago) havn't been winning the cups lately. Yes Boston one, but I believe there was a certain Key "over the hill guy" that was a big influence to their roster. As did some others Conn Smythe winner Thomas (37) and Captain and Number 1 defenseman (34).

Yes, we would all love the Marchands and Seguins but they come with a very Hefty price tag.

Edited by Crashnburnluder, 21 June 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#302 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

In terms of fit and chemistry with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, I honestly don't feel all that excited about Jagr as a Red Wing. But combinations have come about that no one ever saw coming.

Anyone out there think he'd fit awesome with either Pav or Z?

Yikes.

http://detnews.com/a...-isn’t-answer

#303 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Well, Lidstrom wants him on the team, so now I really want him on the team. If the captain wants him, I want him.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#304 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Well, Lidstrom wants him on the team, so now I really want him on the team. If the captain wants him, I want him.

Ditto.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#305 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

Okay, if that doesn't change some people's minds on Jagr, I don't know what will.

Lidstrom didn't have to say a single thought on the matter and all would have been well. If Lids is endorsing this type of move to bring in Jagr, then I can only assume that from a smart hockey player's mind, this would be a good move for us (for one year). If he signs for 2 million or less, that really won't hurt our cap this upcoming season. You'll still have the infusion of youth, and you'll be shedding Draper and Salei, only to bring in youth to replace them.

If Captain believes in this move, I do too.

#306 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

I honestly didn't want him here, until I read that... do you have a source of Lids stating that? If so, that changes my opinion on him signing here greatly from "not hating it for a low enough price" to "loving it" (still granted the price tag is right)

Nick can do no wrong in my book

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#307 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

If Nik Lidstrom told you guys to jump off a bridge...

#308 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

I honestly didn't want him here, until I read that... do you have a source of Lids stating that? If so, that changes my opinion on him signing here greatly from "not hating it for a low enough price" to "loving it" (still granted the price tag is right)

Nick can do no wrong in my book

I know hes been over in Russia two or three years, Lidstrom said. But I know how hard it was to play against him, and I dont think hes gotten any worse by playing over there.

I think hes still a heck of a player, Lidstrom said. From talking to friends that watched the world championships, they said he played real well in that tournament, playing against the top players in the world. So well see what happens. But I think he could help our team, especially his size. I know hes got the skills, but I think his size is something a lot of teams would like.

Detroit Free Press

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#309 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

Uh, yeah... I probably would.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#310 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

I like how when the threads were merged that we still kept the "No, No, NO!" title and didn't just put, "Jagr talk" or something generic like that.

#311 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

This could also be part of the conversation Holland and Lidstrom had before he decided to come back. ...That Jagr might want to come to the Wings and it could be that Lids is doing his part in supporting that possible move. Not only for Holland but also for himself and the team.

Edited by Vladifan, 21 June 2011 - 08:17 PM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#312 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Understandably so. Until this Lidstrom talk of wanting the dude, I was totally "NO NO. NO. NO NO NO NO N-N-NO NO NO.... etc"

Seriously. I am over the "lets get another Drake," "who's the next veteran aching for a cup?"

Done. Don't want it. ...but if Lids thinks it'll work. I'm game. Why the hell not?
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#313 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

In terms of fit and chemistry with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, I honestly don't feel all that excited about Jagr as a Red Wing. But combinations have come about that no one ever saw coming.

Anyone out there think he'd fit awesome with either Pav or Z?

Yikes.

http://detnews.com/a...-isn’t-answer

And who is this magical sniper whom this columnist is referring to? This summer's FA crop is terrible; it'll be better next season, and in the meantime, we'll have Jagr on a one-year contract. It's not the end of the world, especially given how much cap space we have and how unlikely we are to use all of it.

#314 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

It's funny because all those players you mentioned were effective for the team prior to the lockout sans Drake and he was a different type of player. Jagr will not be the piece to bring a cup to Detroit.

I was commenting on your statement that Holland shouldn't sign any more "over-the-hill geezers". What's funny is that you seem to not have been a Red Wings fan prior to the lockout, otherwise you would know that every single one of the players I mentioned not only signed with Detroit at 35 or older, but were very effective in bringing multiple Cups to Detroit. You lose.

#315 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

I might consider it.

Really, though, Lidstrom is the only player whom I never criticize. I always assume that he knows what he's doing and that if I disagree, then I'm just wrong.
(Edit: I am referring to his decisions on the ice).

Edited by Crymson, 21 June 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#316 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

I'd wager we don't have a Hudler or Modano situation on our hands with this one -- Jagr can still play ball. But he is old and not much for defense. Typical low-risk high-reward signing by Kenny if he does pull the trigger, in the Bert or Cleary vein, but this is better since Jagr is way more skilled than they'll ever be. If he ends up being useless it's no great loss. Unless the money they would potentially put towards Jagr could instead be leveled at another scoring forward, but I'm not sure how likely that is since they're probably going to use up a lot of cap space filling Rafalski's spot.

And while there's some sentiment that the Wings aren't particularly starved for goals (I agree), there is something to be said for the lack of secondary scoring from the Dano/Bert/Flip/Hudler sector in the last couple playoffs (where applicable), specifically against the Sharks. If they can get a guy that might help that problem, and it's not money that was going to be used anywhere else anyways, then may as well give it a shot.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#317 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

And who is this magical sniper whom this columnist is referring to? This summer's FA crop is terrible; it'll be better next season, and in the meantime, we'll have Jagr on a one-year contract. It's not the end of the world, especially given how much cap space we have and how unlikely we are to use all of it.

Exactly, if Jagr turns out to be a turd-basket, which I highly doubt, but if he does, we will have cap at the trade deadline to make a move and bring in a sniper. There will be snipers available then. If we get someone that truly meshes with the team, we'll have 6.2 million in cap freed up to make a long-term offer to said sniper.

#318 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

Any chance we can bring back Lang as well, and form the laziest line in hockey history?

Hudler/Lang/Jagr :scared:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#319 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

If they both put up the same numbers, I don't care who we get as long as June comes and we have the cup :)

/thread and what not

This is completely true, but thankfully LGW keeps up with its ever entertaining mastodon sized threads bitching a storm about who may RE-SIGN or let RESIGN. Open forums are titties and beer I tell ya :thumbup:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#320 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Someone will offer him more, I really, really, hope someone offers him more.

I'm looking at you Pittsburgh.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors