#321 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

Uh, yeah... I probably would.

I might consider it.

Really, though, Lidstrom is the only player whom I never criticize. I always assume that he knows what he's doing and that if I disagree, then I'm just wrong.

What the f*** is wrong with you people?

#322 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

One of the smartest hockey players around who may very well be in his last season thinks that Jagr could be a good addition to the team. I'm inclined to go with his judgement on this one since he is the one trying to win another cup. You can try and apply this logic to "jumping off a bridge," but then you'd just be over-dramatic about the whole thing.

#323 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

If Nik Lidstrom told you guys to jump off a bridge...

I'd do a can-opener into the water for the biggest smack impact.

-----------

The one thing I don't like seeing loosely in here is that this is another Mike Modano situation, chiefly becuase Modano suffered a freak injury that happens once in a blue moon.

I don't think Jagr is the greatest thing since sliced bread, he alone isn't going to help win a Stanley Cup, but unless somebody has a crystal ball and can predict pretty much the exact same scenarios that Modano went through last season and the same happen to Jagr, I think it's at least worth continuing to explore.

I won't lose sleep if he's not on the Wings, but would be very curious and a bit excited if he does sign with the Wings, at not too much of a cap hit.

#324 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Listening to a man who has literally done EVERYTHING for this organization, similar to the guy on your avatar and you think there is something wrong with them??

Have fun on that Island, lonely guy.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#325 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Oh Mario, please offer him more!

I thought the experiment to bring over the hill, old veterans from other team ended with Mike Modano.

Ya... they'll all inevitably end up getting tendons severed and nerves damaged by stint of skate blades to the wrist.

I was referring to his decisions on the ice.

#326 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Exactly!!

#327 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

I'd do it.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#328 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

For those comparing Jagr and Modano, think about this. Modano needed to be convinced all summer that coming to Detroit was good, and that he still had it. The injury ruined him, and he questioned (in stupid, ill timed fashion) before the start of the playoffs whether he had the drive. With Jagr, he's anxious to get back into the NHL and challenge for the Cup playing with skilled players. I dont know how you can compare the two other then "wow, old"

Jagr for 2 million (if it means Hudler = gone) :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#329 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hrmmm.... Which bridge?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#330 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

Listening to a man who has literally done EVERYTHING for this organization, similar to the guy on your avatar and you think there is something wrong with them??

what would you expect Nick to say publicly about fellow player? That he is full of s*** and will likely fight with head coach somewhere in the middle of the training camp? Give me one example of Nick's negative comments, please.

#331 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

One of the smartest hockey players around who may very well be in his last season thinks that Jagr could be a good addition to the team. I'm inclined to go with his judgement on this one since he is the one trying to win another cup. You can try and apply this logic to "jumping off a bridge," but then you'd just be over-dramatic about the whole thing.

Sigh, I could've told you that he would be a decent addition and I have at least equal or a better mind than Lidstrom. I will forgive you though since you've probably never seen me play/coach/manage a team before

I'd do a can-opener into the water for the biggest smack impact.

-----------

The one thing I don't like seeing loosely in here is that this is another Mike Modano situation, chiefly becuase Modano suffered a freak injury that happens once in a blue moon.

I don't think Jagr is the greatest thing since sliced bread, he alone isn't going to help win a Stanley Cup, but unless somebody has a crystal ball and can predict pretty much the exact same scenarios that Modano went through last season and the same happen to Jagr, I think it's at least worth continuing to explore.

I won't lose sleep if he's not on the Wings, but would be very curious and a bit excited if he does sign with the Wings, at not too much of a cap hit.

Ya, I mean it's not like this is going to be a huge deal either way. I mean signing him can be a pretty positive impact on the team if he can play even to what half of his potential is. On the flip side, if he sucks and is lazy, he is certainly replaceable with the guys that we have on our current roster. I don't signing Jagr is going to do a lot of damage in terms of releasing/trading/signing someone else.

I just don't like people who are sheep and damnit where is my tropical drink? This island sucks.

#332 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Exactly!!

Other people can want Jagr to be on the team, nothing wrong with that.

#333 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

what would you expect Nick to say publicly about fellow player? That he is full of s*** and will likely fight with head coach somewhere in the middle of the training camp? Give me one example of Nick's negative comments, please.

Or he could have just been mum? I don't hear Crosby or whoever the Rangers captain is or Ovechkin coming up publicly stating they want Jagr.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#334 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

I'd do it.

Uh, yeah... I probably would.

I might consider it.

In the first place, Nick would never tell anything that stupid.
And if you are ready to jump off the bridge if someone tell you so, you better do sooner.

Or he could have just been mum? I don't hear Crosby or whoever the Rangers captain is or Ovechkin coming up publicly stating they want Jagr.

They probably have not been asked yet. As far as understand, Jagr wasn't the main topic of Nick's interview.

Edited by ami, 21 June 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#335 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Sigh, I could've told you that he would be a decent addition and I have at least equal or a better mind than Lidstrom. I will forgive you though since you've probably never seen me play/coach/manage a team before

Well don't apply us taking solid hockey advice from a smart and talented veteran seriously, for some "jump off a bridge" analogy that doesn't warrant being said.

Most of the people who were excited about what he said, were probably at least 50/50 about the idea in the first place. Those who are blatantly against it haven't said a thing, at least most of them. We could use a sniper, and this would be a decent signing for a lower cap hit. There aren't any other suitable FA's out there and we don't exactly have the assets to acquire one through a trade. That's my thing.

Will I be pissed if he chooses Pitt or the KHL again? Not at all, but I do at least like the possibility.

Edited by SwedeLundin77, 21 June 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#336 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

Modano would have worked out fine if not for the freak injury thing; he was obviously starting to get in a groove and meshing with the Wings.

But as good as Modano was, Jagr was much better - everything erodes over time, but Jagr's skills have a lot further to go downhill.

In the first place, Nick would never tell anything that stupid.
And if you are ready to jump off the bridge if someone tell you so, you better do sooner.

They probably have not been asked yet. As far as understand, Jagr wasn't the main topic of Nick's interview.

Lidstrom would be much more diplomatic if he was just being kind - "Well, the decision is of course up to Holland, but Jagr is obviously a great talent." - something like that. It honestly sounds like Nick would be excited to have him on the team.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#337 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

Come on...as much as anyone can worry and speculate and feel uncomfortable about having Jagr on your team, it's impossible to not be somewhat excited about it as well. You're talking about one of the all time greats who has still looked good the last few years. And for either us or Pittsburgh, you're talking about playing him with a class of players that far exceed the quality of those found in the KHL.

Jagr and Datsyuk???

Of course Lidstrom is excited!

I get the reservations. I've got them too...plenty of them.

But come on...anyone who says that there's not at least a small (or large) part of them excited about the possibility of Jagr as a Wing is lying.

Modano would have worked out fine if not for the freak injury thing; he was obviously starting to get in a groove and meshing with the Wings.

But as good as Modano was, Jagr was much better - everything erodes over time, but Jagr's skills have a lot further to go downhill.

Lidstrom would be much more diplomatic if he was just being kind - "Well, the decision is of course up to Holland, but Jagr is obviously a great talent." - something like that. It honestly sounds like Nick would be excited to have him on the team.

I don't know how people continue to think they can logically justify the idea of the Modano signing being a mistake when a freak injury wholly and completely derailed his season. It's getting way past fuzzy logic and heading straight into "stupid" territory. No, make that "stoopid" territory. That's right...with two "O's."

Edited by gcom007, 22 June 2011 - 01:21 AM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#338 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:20 AM

Come on...as much as anyone can worry and speculate and feel uncomfortable about having Jagr on your team, it's impossible to not be somewhat excited about it as well. You're talking about one of the all time greats who has still looked good the last few years. And for either us or Pittsburgh, you're talking about playing him with a class of players that far exceed the quality of those found in the KHL.

Jagr and Datsyuk???

Of course Lidstrom is excited!

I get the reservations. I've got them too...plenty of them.

But come on...anyone who says that there's not at least a small (or large) part of them excited about the possibility of Jagr as a Wing is lying.

I don't know how people continue to think they can logically justify the idea of the Modano signing being a mistake when a freak injury wholly and completely derailed his season. It's getting way past fuzzy logic and heading straight into "stupid" territory. No, make that "stoopid" territory. That's right...with two "O's."

Um...Modano had 7 points in 20 games before his injury. He was contributing very little and probably would have continued producing very little, whether the injury happened or not. No matter how you look at it, it was a bad signing. Now we're gonna throw two million at another aging vet and pray the same situation doesn't happen again? Thats just unbelivable. We need to be adding faster, younger guys....not slower, older ones. Especially considering the pace of the game is faster than ever.

I just can't believe Holland is ready to and willing to make the same mistake twice in a row.

Richards, Bieksa, and Wisniewski = cup

Edited by ShanahanMan, 22 June 2011 - 03:24 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#339 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

Now we're gonna throw two million at another aging vet and pray the same situation doesn't happen again? Thats just unbelievable. We need to be adding faster, younger guys....not slower, older ones. Especially considering the pace of the game is faster than ever.

I just can't believe Holland is ready to and willing to make the same mistake twice in a row.

Again, Modano got injured and missed half the season. Its tough for ANY player to get up to speed after missing that much, not to mention he was 40 and on a new team, learning a new system. As for signing aging vets, its a strategy that's worked many times in the past. We signed Hull when he was 37, Robitaille when he was 35, traded for Hasek when he was 37, re-signed him years later when he was 42. Guys like Yzerman, Shanahan, Osgood, Lidstrom, Chelios, Larionov, Fetisov were all re-signing in their late 30's, mid 40's and were very effective for us. Giving up on signing older players because this ONE player got injured and didn't work out isn't a good idea.

#340 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

Let him go to Pens, no need to overpay. Bring Mursak in! (or UFA player)
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman