Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#522 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

You're obviously right in the points you are making - it's just that you and I live in a different world than the rest of these guys. Sure those million dollars look mind boggling to us, but the truth is, we have a bit of a bias, ya know? I mean, day in and day out you see athletes go for more money. Are they flawed? Well, as flawed as the next guy. Its easy for us to be critics on the sideline - no one is asking us to decide between 7 million or 9 million. But SO MANY atheletes go for the bigger pay check. In Detroit, we see the exception FAR MORE than the rest of the world and I think that makes us jaded. But guys like Yzerman, Lidstrom and Rafalski are special cases. They have certain ties that they can trade off in place of a little extra money. The same for Tom Izzo. The only reason why he didn't leave East Lansing was because he valued where his roots were and the ties he's made there.
Jagr doesn't have those ties. He was born in the Czech Republic, drafted by Pitt and then played for Washington and NY. Who does he owe? Sure the NHL is the best league in the world - but he's one of the best players in the world. He doesn't owe you, nor I any favors - and who are we to blame him for something that we might (read: probably) do given the same situation?

Point taken. I only wanted to point out the obvious overpayment in prior years. Jagr hasn't been in the league in like two or three years and we are trying to get him. I guess if the money is right its worth taking a shot however I feel like he doesn't really want to come here. The age along with the KHL going back and forth has me really questioning whether or not he is right for our team. On top of that he has been rumored to be a cancer in the locker room and if that is right that he only scored 19 goals or whatever last season. Is he really worth it?

Edited by Diluvian04, 29 June 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#523 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Pens fans on LetGoPens.com are actually tracking the flight Jagr is on to the United States. :lol:

http://www.letsgopen...3706&start=3200

#524 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

jagrwatch.com (stole link from that same letsgopens.com thread)

It's just a dedicated twitter feed atm.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#525 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Pens fans on LetGoPens.com are actually tracking the flight Jagr is on to the United States. :lol:

http://www.letsgopen...3706&start=3200

I don't know whether this is funny, or a cry for help. Likely both. :lol:
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#526 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

So if Jagr decides "to take his talent to Hockeytown" are they going to have a riot and jersey burning in Pittsburgh like they did in Cleveland when LeBron left? Although the hype isn't that big outside of the hockey world, that's what I feel like Jagr is doing here.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#527 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

So if Jagr decides "to take his talent to Hockeytown" are they going to have a riot and jersey burning in Pittsburgh like they did in Cleveland when LeBron left? Although the hype isn't that big outside of the hockey world, that's what I feel like Jagr is doing here.

Man that would be epic especially since all signs lead to him going to the Pens. Although I can't take the sources reporting that its a done deal as credible because Jagrs flight hasn't even landed and his agent said the decision would be announced a short time after that. So all in all I have no idea what to think. I just want to know the decision one way or the other

#528 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

Man that would be epic especially since all signs lead to him going to the Pens. Although I can't take the sources reporting that its a done deal as credible because Jagrs flight hasn't even landed and his agent said the decision would be announced a short time after that. So all in all I have no idea what to think. I just want to know the decision one way or the other

Im with you. I think he would be a great addition to our PP and a solid 2nd or 3rd liner but if he doesn't sign with Detroit, I am not gonna lose any sleep. He can soak up all the minutes in Pitt when Crosby sneezes to hard and hits his head on the mirror and is sidelines for 5 more months. I think he'd be great the right price (cheap cheap cheap) but other than that, just get me to July 1st.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#529 REDHASEK

REDHASEK

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Penguins make offer to Jagr, the deal is worth a reported $2 million.

Read more here:
http://sportsillustr...ef=twitter_feed

#530 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Here's hoping he announces he's a Penguin.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#531 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Im with you. I think he would be a great addition to our PP and a solid 2nd or 3rd liner but if he doesn't sign with Detroit, I am not gonna lose any sleep. He can soak up all the minutes in Pitt when Crosby sneezes to hard and hits his head on the mirror and is sidelines for 5 more months. I think he'd be great the right price (cheap cheap cheap) but other than that, just get me to July 1st.

I agree there is no reason to break the bank on him as there are other forwards that can be of value for a longer term. But i do feel he would fit in here with are euro style, and the veteran atmosphere. But ultimately its his decision and he can do what he feels is best for him.

Anyway we have bigger needs like fixing the d. This is the first time that im seriously worried about our team especially on the back end. But in Kenny I trust. He always does the right things and thats why he is the best GM in the game

#532 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Rumor has that Jagr will sign with Pitt for 1.4

That is via a Russian Newspaper. I would copy the link but it's all in Russian

Edited by WingZNut13, 29 June 2011 - 12:50 PM.

#533 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

All of the credible U.S. media sites are saying that Jagr was offered $2 mil by the Pens. However, they're also saying that the Pens are the only team to make an offer which is not true, since obviously the Wings have made an offer already too.

#534 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

All of the credible U.S. media sites are saying that Jagr was offered $2 mil by the Pens. However, they're also saying that the Pens are the only team to make an offer which is not true, since obviously the Wings have made an offer already too.

Yeah I saw where it got retweeted and I just thought it would be interesting to put up if there is any chance for this to be over with so we move on. However, the only thing to talk about for the next few days is July first sooo there are plenty of threads and ideas there...

#535 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Here's hoping he announces he's a Penguin.

I don't think there is any doubt on that one.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#536 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

Just saw that reported on Twitter also.

http://gazeta.ru/spo...a_3680105.shtml

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#537 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

I don't think there is any doubt on that one.

Ya i've given up on the thought of him coming to the wings. Heres hoping the Pens flop in the first round and our acquired top 6 forward plays a major role on our way to the cup. Then he can see what he really missed out on

#538 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

Ya i've given up on the thought of him coming to the wings. Heres hoping the Pens flop in the first round and our acquired top 6 forward plays a major role on our way to the cup. Then he can see what he really missed out on

Hey, bringing back Kovalev worked out pretty well for them.

Oh, wait...

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#539 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Here is a rough translation using Google: http://tinyurl.com/3cvan2g

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#540 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hey, bringing back Kovalev worked out pretty well for them.

Oh, wait...

Ya no kidding! So much talent with such a s***ty work ethic lol